Commanders' McIntosh Is Lost for Season

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Big loss IMHO. Didn't he have some good returns against us?

Commanders' McIntosh Is Lost for Season

By Jason La Canfora
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, December 18, 2007; Page E01

The Washington Commanders will have to continue their playoff push without another starting player, after linebacker Rocky McIntosh tore two major knee ligaments in Sunday's 22-10 win over New York at Giants Stadium.

McIntosh, in his first season as a starter, was making great strides, and his loss is another blow for a defense trying to overcome a spate of injuries and coping with the death of safety Sean Taylor. Coach Joe Gibbs was clearly pained by the McIntosh news.

"Rocky was playing great for us," Gibbs told reporters yesterday.

McIntosh, 25, left Sunday's game in the first quarter after bending his knee awkwardly in a pile, and an MRI exam yesterday revealed torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments, a significant injury that keeps most players off the field for nine months to a year at least. It often takes 18 months or more before normal explosiveness returns.

Cornerback Carlos Rogers suffered the same injury in late October, which could compromise his ability to play in the first half of next season. The injuries to McIntosh and Rogers, coupled with Taylor's death, leave the Commanders' defense without three of its brightest young playmakers.

Bubba Tyer, Washington's director of sports medicine, said that McIntosh's left ACL will be reconstructed within the next three weeks after the swelling subsides and that the MCL may not need surgery. Rogers required surgery on both ligaments.

"It's really not swollen that much so we'll take a look at it next week," said Tyer, who declined to speculate about recovery time. "The docs will be back out here on Thursday and they'll decide when they want to do the surgery."

McIntosh, who declined to speak to reporters yesterday, was replaced by rookie sixth-round pick H.B. Blades on most downs Sunday night. The Commanders also have veteran reserve linebackers Randall Godfrey and Khary Campbell on the roster, and Godfrey in particular is an experienced run-stopper. The Commanders face a must-win game Sunday night against Minnesota, the top rushing team in the NFL.

McIntosh, a second-round pick in 2006, played primarily on special teams last season, slowly adjusting to the pace and complexity of the NFL game after starring at the University of Miami. He had a history of knee problems in college that resulted in some teams downgrading him in the draft. Tyer said that McIntosh's past problems centered on his right knee, on which he had arthroscopic surgery three times in a 12-month period.

Every week it seems as if the Commanders are placing a player on the season-ending, injured reserve list.

During the game against the Chicago Bears on Dec. 6, quarterback Jason Campbell was likely lost for the season, cornerback Fred Smoot escaped from the training room to return from a serious sickness, and the other starting cornerback, Shawn Springs, retrieved his equipment from an adjacent room and demanded to play despite severe back pain. Springs intercepted two passes in the game.

On Sunday night, as backup quarterback Todd Collins won in his first start in 10 years, Springs switched from cornerback to safety at times because of injuries to defensive backs John Eubanks and Pierson Prioleau. Lorenzo Alexander, a long shot to make the team as a defensive lineman, continued his breakthrough season on offense by shining as a reserve guard and tight end-tackle eligible in a heavy pass protection role against the NFL's premier pass rush. Backup tight end Todd Yoder was knocked from the game with a knee injury, while Blades filled in capably for McIntosh.

"H.B. came in [Sunday] night and played well," linebacker Marcus Washington said. "Lorenzo, who knows what position Lorenzo plays. Whenever we need a guy he just seems to go in and get it done. You just got to take your hat off to those guys."

While the Commanders' consistency and execution have been in question during this trying season, their effort has not. Gibbs continually praises their "fight" and drive and seemed as elated with Sunday's win as any during his second tenure with the club.

"To go through what we've gone through this season, with injuries and Sean's situation and just losing close games -- giving games away -- it speaks a lot to the guys we have on this team to never give up," center Casey Rabach said.

Players in their first or second seasons -- Alexander, tackle Stephon Heyer, defensive tackles Anthony Montgomery and Kedric Golston, safeties Reed Doughty and LaRon Landry, corners Eubanks and Leigh Torrence -- have been thrust into prominent roles, acquitting themselves well, particularly against the Giants. "I think that was one of our best efforts," Gibbs said.

Still, a four-game losing streak left the Commanders in need of assistance to reach the postseason. Finishing with two more wins -- and a 9-7 record -- would not be enough should the Saints (7-7) win their final two games and the Giants (9-5) beat either Buffalo or New England.

With the Vikings' 20-13 victory last night over the Bears, the Commanders will be eliminated from playoff contention if they lose Sunday at Minnesota.

JPM

Reaction score
That defense has been decimated by injuries and tragedy. I almost feel sorry for them.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dmq;1842238 said:
McIntosh, a second-round pick in 2006, played primarily on special teams last season, slowly adjusting to the pace and complexity of the NFL game after starring at the University of Miami. He had a history of knee problems in college that resulted in some teams downgrading him in the draft. Tyer said that McIntosh's past problems centered on his right knee, on which he had arthroscopic surgery three times in a 12-month period.
I remember the talking heads on ESPN mention that on draft day. Another hit to the Redstinks D. Maybe we will get to see Randall Godfrey go against us in a couple of Sundays.

redster

Reaction score
Yea, we have had too many injuries. What I'm surprised by is the fact that this team has depth, all right. If you have asked me at the beginning of the season if we would be 7-7 at this point after suffering so many injuries, I would have said no. I'm really surprised by our team's depth. There are certain positions that still lack depth, but overall, our second and third stringers have done a very good job. Our front office has also been good at finding decent-good players in the late rounds--Montgomery(he's going to be good),Golston, HB Blades, Reed Doughty, etc. If they rely more on the draft instead of relying on free agency or trading our picks away for mediocre players, I think we can be good in the future.
Although Gibbs has made horrible playcalling decisions this season, I definitely think he should be our HC next season. The team's moving in the right direction. I wouldn't be mad even if we lose our next two games. We have been totally decimated by injuries starting with the Oline when the season began. We had a top 10 Oline last year. Even this year, we're still not that horrible.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
JPM;1842245 said:
That defense has been decimated by injuries and tragedy. I almost feel sorry for them.
I feel sorry for them when it comes to Sean Taylor...that's it!!!!

The Commanders have the highest paid coaching staff in the history of the NFL...yet the coacehs do not want to coach/develop talent...they want to buy "proven" talent from other teams. So they throw away draft picks and have to scrape the streets to field a 53 man roster. Their lack of depth is there own doing and the people you should feel sorry for is the Commander faithful. Because the ownership and coaching staff in Washington take the hard earned money of ticketholders and line their pockets and the pockets of average free agents...instead of rolling up their sleeve, scouting, coaching drafting and developing. They made their bed...now they can lie in it.

redster

Reaction score
bbailey423;1842295 said:
I feel sorry for them when it comes to Sean Taylor...that's it!!!!

The Commanders have the highest paid coaching staff in the history of the NFL...yet the coacehs do not want to coach/develop talent...they want to buy "proven" talent from other teams. So they throw away draft picks and have to scrape the streets to field a 53 man roster. Their lack of depth is there own doing and the people you should feel sorry for is the Commander faithful. Because the ownership and coaching staff in Washington take the hard earned money of ticketholders and line their pockets and the pockets of average free agents...instead of rolling up their sleeve, scouting, coaching drafting and developing. They made their bed...now they can lie in it.

How is our depth bad? Let's see, we have lost Randy Thomas, Jon Jansen, Carlos Rogers, Sean Taylor(RIP), Rocky McIntosh, Todd Wade(second stringer)and Jason Campbell to injuries. Smoot and Springs are playing injured. Santana Moss, Marcus Washington and Randle El have missed a few games as well. I think we're doing great even though we have had so many injuries. This team's depth is actually great. Our rookie right tackle, Stephon Heyer is playing exceptional. He'll eventually replace Jon Jansen(if he isn't cut after this season). Heyer is a left tackle more than he's a right tackle, but he's good as a right tackle as well. Even Todd Wade played decent. Fabini has been pretty good as well, believe it or not. The fact that this team is 7-7 even though we have lost so many players tells me that our depth is just fine. All teams will suffer with so many injuries.

Also, don't forget, we haven't traded our draft picks this year(yet). I'm hoping our FO has learned from its mistakes.
Look at the Rams this year. They suck this year because of injuries. We probably have had more injuries, yet we don't suck as much as they do.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
redster;1842320 said:
How is our depth bad? Let's see, we have lost Randy Thomas, Jon Jansen, Carlos Rogers, Sean Taylor(RIP), Rocky McIntosh, Todd Wade(second stringer)and Jason Campbell to injuries. Smoot and Springs are playing injured. Santana Moss, Marcus Washington and Randle El have missed a few games as well. I think we're doing great even though we have had so many injuries. This team's depth is actually great. Our rookie right tackle, Stephon Heyer is playing exceptional. He'll eventually replace Jon Jansen(if he isn't cut after this season). Heyer is a left tackle more than he's a right tackle, but he's good as a right tackle as well. Even Todd Wade played decent. Fabini has been pretty good as well, believe it or not. The fact that this team is 7-7 even though we have lost so many players tells me that our depth is just fine. All teams will suffer with so many injuries.

Also, don't forget, we haven't traded our draft picks this year(yet). I'm hoping our FO has learned from its mistakes.
Look at the Rams this year. They suck this year because of injuries. We probably have had more injuries, yet we don't suck as much as they do.
the original poster said he felt "sorry for the Commanders"...I said I do not..I stated why I do not...so don't ask me for a shoulder to cry on...you have the highest paid coaching staff in the NFL...coach em up or shut up!

Woods

Reaction score
redster;1842320 said:

I hope Gibbs is your coach next year as well. :D

Honestly, for your sake, I think you guys should get a new head coach. IMO, Gibbs' best coaching days are behind him. And unless he gets extended, he's pretty much a lame duck head coach as well.

Sure, Gibbs is better than Spurrier, but that's not really saying much. I'd go for some fresh talent and build for the future. Unless, G. Williams is going to eventually take over for Gibbs . . . . but nevertheless, I really don't think Gibbs is the answer.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
I've got an idea...let's petition the league to come up with a rule making it a flagrant foul to bend your knee awkwardly while playing. It really impacts teams and, more importantly, marketing for those teams. We just can't have plays that cause injuries. We can piggy back it on the horsecollar rule since SO MANY players have had season ending ijuries from that too.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Man, he'll be messed up for next season too most likely. He'll probably play, but I wouldn't expect much out of him.