Commanders' Ware arrested in Houston

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20040628-112111-3341r.htm

Commanders' Ware arrested in Houston

By Mark Zuckerman
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Washington Commanders tight end Kevin Ware was arrested over the weekend for public intoxication outside a Houston dance club.

Ware, who started two games as a rookie last season, was outside popular nightclub Pangea early Sunday when police arrived on a disturbance call. During the course of the investigation, a police spokeswoman said, the 23-year-old Texas native was arrested and charged with public intoxication, a Class C misdemeanor.

"Obviously this is a very serious situation, but we'll refrain from commenting until it is resolved," Commanders spokesman Karl Swanson said.
Ware's agent, Cameron Foster, did not return phone calls yesterday.

Though he has been charged with only a misdemeanor, Ware could face disciplinary action from the NFL, most likely in the form of a fine and/or mandatory alcohol and drug testing for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

It is Ware's first offense since joining the Commanders in 2003, but it's not the first time he was arrested. As a junior at the University of Washington in December 2001, he received a one-year suspended sentence and 240 hours of community service after pleading guilty to fourth-degree misdemeanor assault.

Ware was originally charged with third-degree assault, a felony, after striking a university police officer who was trying to break up a fight. He pleaded innocent in King County Superior Court at the time, then pleaded guilty after the charge was reduced to a misdemeanor.

Ware was suspended for the remainder of the 2001 season, missing Washington's trip to the Holiday Bowl, but he was reinstated his senior year and caught 42 passes for 463 yards in 2002.

Signed as an undrafted free agent last year, Ware appeared in 11 games with the Commanders, finishing with three receptions for 17 yards.

He faces stiff competition for a roster spot this season. Since taking over in January, coach Joe Gibbs has signed or drafted five tight ends/H-backs: Walter Rasby, Mike Sellers, Brian Kozlowski, Fred Baxter and Chris Cooley.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Henry said:
He was cut two days later.

Yep...Gibbs is not going to put up with that kind of crap.

The guy was a fringe player anyways.

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
Only in Houston can you get arrested for public intoxication. :D

If the police arrested everyone here in Louisiana that was intoxicated in public, we'd all be in jail.

I've spent 2 years of my life in Houston...a very tight, conservative city by my standards. I'm used to walking around with a beer in my hand around the LSU campus before the game. At any campus in the state of Texas, that could get you arrested.

Texas needs to loosen up.