Common sugar substitute linked to increased risk of heart attack and stroke

triplets_93

Reaction score
The safety of sugar substitutes is once again being called into question.

Researchers led by the Cleveland Clinic linked the low-calorie sugar substitute xylitol to an increased risk of heart attack, stroke or cardiovascular-related deaths, according to a study published today in the European Heart Journal.

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is found in small amounts in fruit and vegetables, and the human body also produces it. As an additive, it looks and tastes like sugar but has 40% fewer calories. It is used, at much higher concentrations than found in nature, in sugar-free gum, candies, toothpaste and baked goods. It can also be found in products labeled "keto-friendly," particularly in Europe.

The same research team found a similar association last year to the popular sugar substitute erythritol. The use of sugar substitutes has increased significantly over the past decade as concerns about rising obesity rates mount.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/...ased-risk-of-heart-attack-and-stroke/3561749/

nobody

Reaction score
When I went on a diet before, I had treats with sugar alcohols in them. At least it's not a permanent long-term risk raise. I stopped all intentional use of artificial sweeteners years ago, fortunately. However, it's hard to avoid completely because they put it even in things that it's not needed in if you look at enough ingredients lists of every day foods.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When I went on a diet before, I had treats with sugar alcohols in them. At least it's not a permanent long-term risk raise. I stopped all intentional use of artificial sweeteners years ago, fortunately. However, it's hard to avoid completely because they put it even in things that it's not needed in if you look at enough ingredients lists of every day foods.
Like high fructose corn syrup. I stopped eating jam and switched to peanut butter and honey sandwiches, because of it. As it turns out, I like p,b, and h better.

Praxit

Reaction score
Like high fructose corn syrup. I stopped eating jam and switched to peanut butter and honey sandwiches, because of it. As it turns out, I like p,b, and h better.
...get that homemade jam or make yer own. Its work, but the benefits award you the advantages.

But yes, PB with honey is tasty. I've tried PB with maple syrup, good as well.