Comparison of Mock Drafts 4april2012

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I compiled the latest mocks for 6 of the mock draft analysts:

http://www.walker-texas.com/4-4-mk-compare-color.jpg

If the above hurts your eyes, then use this one:

http://www.walker-texas.com/4-4-mk-compare.jpg

There is an old saying, "be careful what you wish for". Now 4 of my pet cats for rounds 2, 3, and 4 are showing up in the 1st:
Josh Robinson
Shea McClellin
Derek Wolfe
Amini Silatolu

Other surprise selections in the 1st:
Lavonte David
Chandler Jones
Brandon Weeden
Kevin Zeitler
Bobby Massie
Harrison Smith

Other notes:
3 of 6 had Konz out of the 1st
Poe is gone before #14 in all 6
DeCastro is available in all 6
Kirkpatrick is available in all 6
Gilmore is above Kirkpatrick in 2 of 6
Ingram is gone in all but 1
Fletcher Cox is available in 4 of 6
Coples below Fletcher Cox in 2 of 6

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Nice work. Get us DeCastro or Gilmore in the 1st or trade down please...

cowboysooner

Reaction score
I can definitely see us trading up to 10 or 11 to draft Coples in front of Seattle if he gets there.

DFWJC

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4494632 said:
I can definitely see us trading up to 10 or 11 to draft Coples in front of Seattle if he gets there.
Yikes.
Let's keep our 3rd rounder please....that's what it may cost to move up to 10.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
I would bet that Coples is in the top 6 on Dallas' board, so giving up a 3rd would be looked at as a win. Put this another way would you rather take a safety, guard or riskier prospect (Poe, Brockers) at 14 that you have rated about 20 on your board or give up a 3rd to get a guy in your top 6 or 7.

johnnyd

Reaction score
Interesting 6 different mocks 6 different picks for us . this is going to be a crazy draft . Upshaw is the only one i really hate . And "Poe must Go" :p: before we pick because he scares me. In order i like Decastro, Cox and Gilmore. The last one because i truly dont think we will be able to rely on Jenkins because of the injury.

DFWJC

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4494655 said:
I would bet that Coples is in the top 6 on Dallas' board, so giving up a 3rd would be looked at as a win. Put this another way would you rather take a safety, guard or riskier prospect (Poe, Brockers) at 14 that you have rated about 20 on your board or give up a 3rd to get a guy in your top 6 or 7.
Several things:

First, I like Coples too, though he does have some serious question marks regrading his fit in a 3-4. A ton of people don't like him as a Cowboy at all. I like him at 14 a lot, but do see some risk. I don't think our 14th a and 3rd would be worth it. That's just me though.

next, I think this year there is a chance that the 3rd rounder could have an impact for us....so it's not a throw away pick at all.

Next, That's a very big assumption that the Cowboys would have Coples top 6.

Next, why would we take a player we rate 20th at 14? We would trade down in that situation and get better value. In doing that we would even be ffurther armed to trade back into the end of the 1st round if needed to grab potentially two starters.

So really the trade off would be take Couples and lose a 3rd rounder vs take someone esle we like at 20ish and keep that 3rd plus gain another 3rd .

Hey, all bets are off if the 'Boys really value Coples top 6. he they think he is that dominant and perfect of a fit then going to get him at 10 may even make sense. Big if though.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
When I look at those boards, I generally see Cox (my favorite target) gone, Poe gone, Reiff gone, Floyd there, Kuechley there. Coples gone, Ingram gone.

That is not the best board for us to get a 1)high value player at an 2)impact position, that is also a 3)position of need, and better yet 4)immediate need. Defensive line is the only position that satisfies all of those areas and luckily it is a deep group, but it is also a first 35 picks only group. OLB and corner satisfy 3 of the 4. Strong safety satisfies 1,3,4. Guard is a deep group with lower positional value than safety. Center is just a bad group with no prospects worth the pick.

Coples or Cox are worth a 3rd round pick versus Brockers. Another way of looking at the 3rd round pick is a 50% chance of a cheap, serviceable replacement for Jenkins. I'd rather not roll the dice on a Brockers (or Poe) if I could get Cox or Coples. I think the rest of the dlinemen are good, but not special. I do think it is possible that Mercilus is alot higher rated around some front offices much like Aldon Smith. If so, he could be the pick of any number of teams, including us.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboysooner;4494835 said:
When I look at those boards, I generally see Cox (my favorite target) gone, Poe gone, Reiff gone, Floyd there, Kuechley there. Coples gone, Ingram gone.

That is not the best board for us to get a 1)high value player at an 2)impact position, that is also a 3)position of need, and better yet 4)immediate need. Defensive line is the only position that satisfies all of those areas and luckily it is a deep group, but it is also a first 35 picks only group. OLB and corner satisfy 3 of the 4. Strong safety satisfies 1,3,4. Guard is a deep group with lower positional value than safety. Center is just a bad group with no prospects worth the pick.

Coples or Cox are worth a 3rd round pick versus Brockers. Another way of looking at the 3rd round pick is a 50% chance of a cheap, serviceable replacement for Jenkins. I'd rather not roll the dice on a Brockers (or Poe) if I could get Cox or Coples. I think the rest of the dlinemen are good, but not special. I do think it is possible that Mercilus is alot higher rated around some front offices much like Aldon Smith. If so, he could be the pick of any number of teams, including us.

Cox is only gone in 2 of these 6 mocks.

I think there are going to be some really good players in the 3rd round this year.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think DeCastro's fans should get used to the idea that most teams are not willing to use a first round pick on a RG unless there's literally no one else who can help them.