Complete Offseason - FA/DRAFT/ROMO TRADE

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Berry is not an ideal SS for our defense. KC uses basically two FS's but we use an in the box safety which is practically a LB whos first responsibility is to stop the run.
No we don't.

Byron Jones generally plays SS when he moves down to cover a TE or the slot, leaving Church/Wilcox/Heath over the top in the FS role. Berry would be absolutely perfect for this defense.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I think people are getting their hopes way too high for a Romo trade. The odds of us getting an established player back are pretty slim imo. When do you ever see it in the NFL? Plus it doesn't make sense for a very young, very bad Rams team to trade for an old QB looking to ride off into the sunset after a year, maybe 2. Romo isn't a miracle worker, especially with their WR's. They might be able to get to 8-8 with Romo. Goff is going to be their QB whether McVay likes it or not.

I'll keep my fingers crossed on Berry but have very little hope for any big splash signing.

The Rams aren't a bad team. They have bad QB play but have most of the rest of the pieces. Another thing that makes the Rams a possibility is Seattle is falling down to earth. That division should be up for grabs.

Sydla

Reaction score
My offseason , in a snapshot (I'll give a more detailed one later):

- Carr or Claiborne back, whichever is cheaper.

- McClain resigned at DT on a fair deal. He's not going to cost a ton. And if Thornton does get cut, you have to keep McClain.

- Butler is back on a cheap deal.

The rest are gone, either too pricey or not worth it. Romo isn't getting moved for a player. It will likely end up being a mid-round pick or something like a 4th rounder this year and then possibly a 4th rounder next year that could become a 3rd or 2nd based on performance by Romo with his new team.

In FA, I sign:

- Mario Addison at DE

- Tony Jefferson at SS

- Boldin or preferably Patterson at WR.

- Sign a fat body, cheap backup DT.

All doable, not break the bank deals. Berry is a pipe dream. The draft stays the same. Draft BPA with a little bit of need sprinkled in.

Last edited:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Martin doesn't need to be re-signed this offseason. Best to wait til next year when Romo's huge cap hit is no longer around.

He does not need to be signed this year. However Tyron was signed to his second contract a year before it was up as well as Fredbeard IIRC.
Plus Fisher on twitter has already said that they will probably focus on getting Martin done this offsesaon, he could be speculating but I doubt it.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
No we don't.

No we don't.

Byron Jones generally plays SS when he moves down to cover a TE or the slot, leaving Church/Wilcox/Heath over the top in the FS role. Berry would be absolutely perfect for this defense.

Damn your right. It just feels that way because of the way Church plays.

http://sportdfw.com/2016/02/01/dallas-cowboys-scouting-safety-eric-berry/

This makes it even better in my opinion. Berry at SS and Byron Jones at FS. No need to re-sign Church.

Proof

Reaction score
I doubt we pay for Berry and keep in mind that this off season might, probably will be, when they resign Z. Martin.

my only hope is due to safeties not being paid like.. THAT. he's probably my most coveted free agent in recent memory.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Don't like re-signing Church at all. Other than that, agree on all in-house free agents.

Love the Berry signing. Quinn for Romo would be a steal, I'd think we'd have to throw in our #1.

However unlikely signing Berry might be, just like last year, I'll root like hell for it until it's no longer an option. He is a game changer and would impact the defense the way Zeke did on offense.

If KC franchise tags Berry (they told him last year they wouldn't do it again) maybe we can trade Romo and our #1 to KC for Berry ?

RandyOh

Reaction score
I tend to agree with you that Berry ends up signing a long term deal with the Chiefs, but I do wonder if there may still be a little bad blood from the last time they tried to hammer out a long term deal. For those unfamiliar, some think the reason that they were unable to reach a long term deal last off season was due to the fact that the Chiefs asked Berry to pay for a disability insurance policy that didn't sit well with him.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/www....al-disability-policy?client=ms-android-google
Chiefs did just have a great season. most likely have a different attitude this time around when negotiations start. He is easily the most beloved player on the chiefs and wouldn't want the backlash that would come with letting him walk.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Chiefs did just have a great season. most likely have a different attitude this time around when negotiations start. He is easily the most beloved player on the chiefs and wouldn't want the backlash that would come with letting him walk.
I do think they'll come to terms, but I just wonder if there's a bit of resentment from Berry's point of view of the front office playing hardball during a time when he was going through a tough stretch.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Ideal fit or not, the Rams aren't trading RQuinn for TRomo. For starters, it's a huge loss in value, 37 year old QBs aren't worth 27 year old pass rushers. Not ones as good as Quinn, even when you factor in injuries.

Wade Phillips didn't take the job as dcoordinator with the intention of moving Quinn. And when you consider how often teams are in nickel personnel, it makes even less sense.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Thanks for the effort.

I suspect one of their top priorities this offseason is to extend Martin, btw.

Romo to LA seems far-fetched, but you made your case pretty well anyway.

The new OC is a ground and pound guy, Anthony Lynn. His offense is supposedly very simple, so they may think Goff can give it a go.

Anthony Lynn is with the Chargers, McVay, Washington 's old OC is the coach and he is not a ground and pound guy

DFWJC

Reaction score
Anthony Lynn is with the Chargers, McVay, Washington 's old OC is the coach and he is not a ground and pound guy
Ah, thanks...yeah, he's with the LA Chargers, not LA Rams.
Thanks, and I agree on McVay

Rockdoc

Reaction score
Damn your right. It just feels that way because of the way Church plays.

http://sportdfw.com/2016/02/01/dallas-cowboys-scouting-safety-eric-berry/

This makes it even better in my opinion. Berry at SS and Byron Jones at FS. No need to re-sign Church.

we probably should stop getting too stuck in identifying players as FS or SS
i believe the way our defense is designed having two guys who can play centerfield and cover TEs would be ideal.
so yes, Berry would be great pick up (though not likely). on our current roster Wilcox is the best option. he has improved. heck maybe Heath has arrived.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LA will be in a 4 man line 70% of the time. Quinn will be standing on run downs, and even then he can still get to the QB in a 3-4 alignment. Them moving to a 3-4 is much ado about nothing