Computer Crash...

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Hey...I just wanted to let you all know that my computer went the way of Elvis and is not operating at the moment.. :bang2:

I know I owe some sig pics...so I just wanted to make you aware of the reason for the delay.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Hey...I just wanted to let you all know that my computer went the way of Elvis and is not operating at the moment.. :bang2:

I know I owe some sig pics...so I just wanted to make you aware of the reason for the delay.

I can perform an exorcism for you... or, as the bumper sticker said:

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives...

DBoys

Reaction score
Juke99 said:

Computers are my profession if you need any technical help let me know.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
DBoys said:
Computers are my profession if you need any technical help let me know.

Thanks

I installed SP2 and got the dreaded blue screen. :eek: So now, it won't boot....I simply get a screen that states "Hard disk drive 0 not found" "hard drive 1 not found"

Strike f1 key to continue....

Then when I hit the f1 key, I get "Strike F1 to retry boot...

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
have you tried, putting in your OEM disc of Windows when you start it up then hit the f1 or esc key for the boot up options?

DBoys

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Thanks

I installed SP2 and got the dreaded blue screen. :eek: So now, it won't boot....I simply get a screen that states "Hard disk drive 0 not found" "hard drive 1 not found"

Strike f1 key to continue....

Then when I hit the f1 key, I get "Strike F1 to retry boot...

Do you get the Windows XP splash screen? If so try hitting F8 when your bios screen comes up and go into safe mode. If safe mode blue screens it is a hardware driver conflict.

If you want to get on the phone later this afternoon I can help you out. I have free long distance over the weekends so it is no big deal. Prolly take us 30 minutes to isolate the problem and get you an answer good or bad :)

PM me your number and let me know what time to call you.

Cliff

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
DBoys said:
Do you get the Windows XP splash screen? If so try hitting F8 when your bios screen comes up and go into safe mode. If safe mode blue screens it is a hardware driver conflict.

If you want to get on the phone later this afternoon I can help you out. I have free long distance over the weekends so it is no big deal. Prolly take us 30 minutes to isolate the problem and get you an answer good or bad :)

PM me your number and let me know what time to call you.

Cliff

Hey...thanks.

I only get the Dell start up screen....and then the DOS looking screen right after that.

I have a some guests in from out of town the next day or two...so maybe during the week would be cool.... I could always call you.

I've ordered an new hard drive...some of the mods who are pretty knowledgeable suggested I install XP on the new hard drive and put the old hard drive in as a second internal drive.

So, I'm ready to roll if that is the way I should go.

Thanks in a big way. This whole thing is making me ill.

Deb

Zoner
Reaction score
Dboys~ My son put world of warcraft on my computer. I have enough disk space but I think I am running low on RAM..is that something I can adjust.....can I adjust the virtual memory..or am I gonna have to do an upgrade..don't notice it all the time but every once in awhile like now...the graphics look a little distorted and pixelated. Just curious....thanks

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Jukester did you get everything all straightened out?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Deb said:
Dboys~ My son put world of warcraft on my computer. I have enough disk space but I think I am running low on RAM..is that something I can adjust.....can I adjust the virtual memory..or am I gonna have to do an upgrade..don't notice it all the time but every once in awhile like now...the graphics look a little distorted and pixelated. Just curious....thanks
The graphics problem would be the video card. It probably can't handle the game. It can be upgraded usually. I suggest an ATI AGP card.

DBoys

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Hey...thanks.

I only get the Dell start up screen....and then the DOS looking screen right after that.

I have a some guests in from out of town the next day or two...so maybe during the week would be cool.... I could always call you.

I've ordered an new hard drive...some of the mods who are pretty knowledgeable suggested I install XP on the new hard drive and put the old hard drive in as a second internal drive.

So, I'm ready to roll if that is the way I should go.

Thanks in a big way. This whole thing is making me ill.

Is the Bios detecting the drive ok? If not is it warm and can you feel it spinning? Maybe one of the power supply connectors went bad. You could check the IDE or SATA cable as well.

If the drive is detected ok you can boot with the Windows XP CD and let it load everything. You will eventually get an option to repair and go ahead and do this. It will ask you for the Windows directory and there should only be one. Then it will ask you for the password.

You will get a prompt and you can type in help and enter. This will give you a list of commands that can be used to repair the boot portion of the drive.

Here are some screenshots:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/asvfs/album?.dir=8558scd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/asvfs/my_photos

The commands we need to run:
diskpart (This will let you view your partitions. Just make sure you have a C drive)
bootcfg (This will repair any boot.ini problems)
Fixboot (This explains itself :)
Fixmbr (This will fix the master boot record)

Above will fix any boot problems a hard drive will have.

The other suggestions your friends gave will work to. But to eliminate a problem with the drive I would probably troubleshoot. It is better than placing important files on it and losing them.

I can help you out this weekend, weekdays I just don't have the time.

DBoys

Reaction score
Deb said:

WoW is a very intense game on a computer. Like Yeag said it is prolly the graphics card. I have read reports of people saying you need at least 1GB - 2GB of RAM as well.