Video: Connor Williams: Better Than Where I Left Off

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
We're looking for the best, of the best, of the best, sir.

Funny. Captain America over here talking about the best of the best, sir. And he still don't know why we here.

quickccc

Reaction score
More and more, i really believe our starters will led by the vet players including the Conners, ..especially at first half of the season.
Lamb will be only exception as part of the 11 personnel, 3 WR oft-packages .

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

"It's a new regime, so you have to throw out everything you knew."

I don't like that "throwing out all you knew" stuff. We did that in 2018, and that set the oline back. Even worse not having a true training camp and preseason.

Having said that, that's another reason Biadasz should be given more of a chance. The lack of continuity means Looney has one less advantage.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

I don't like that "throwing out all you knew" stuff. We did that in 2018, and that set the oline back. Even worse not having a true training camp and preseason.

Having said that, that's another reason Biadasz should be given more of a chance. The lack of continuity means Looney has one less advantage.
Joe Philben is a top OL coach, haven't had one of those since Bill Calahan.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I lose track of all the good players we have.
giphy.gif

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Joe Philben is a top OL coach, haven't had one of those since Bill Calahan.

The Cincinati dude was a top OL coach too, but when he brought in his new system, it screwed everyone up. In 2018 I thought it was dumb to upset the applecart. New guy should have come in and tweaked, maybe make big changes the following year. I'd say the same, even more so this year, with next to no training camp and preseason to learn a new system. A couple of the top guys in the league, with Collins climbing the charts. Don't mess it up should be job one.

Tussinman

Reaction score
This is a better scheme for Williams. His movement skills will be more in demand now than in previous seasons. He will still have to anchor, but his mobility will come in very handy.

If he’s going to get really good, now is the time.
Alot of it is going to be dependent on his body, right now he's shown that he cannot be a trusted long term full time starter

People make fun of Tyron for being injury prone but Williams is the one who despite only being 23 years old has had 4 knee surgeries in the last 3 seasons. His body is going to have to turn the page quick or he'll be a career back-up

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Alot of it is going to be dependent on his body, right now he's shown that he cannot be a trusted long term full time starter

People make fun of Tyron for being injury prone but Williams is the one who despite only being 23 years old has had 4 knee surgeries in the last 3 seasons. His body is going to have to turn the page quick or he'll be a career back-up
You’re right. And really, that isn’t a great combo to have: Trying to stay healthy while also trying to become better at anchoring against bigger defensive tackles. Trying to stand his ground against guys like Suh isn’t going to make it any easier for him to try to remain healthy.

Still, he does have the requisite mobility for Mike’s zone blocking scheme, so I’m going to keep my fingers crossed that he does manage to avoid injury.

Ultimately, it’ll come down to if McCarthy and Philbin want McGovern’s strength and size at LG or Williams’ mobility in the run game. It’ll be interesting to see which way they go and will tell us a little about what they’re wanting to do with their line.

cowboyed

Reaction score

Philben is one hell of an offensive line coach. He is perceptive and experienced enough to help the offensive line not only effectively transition but to optimally get better.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Philben is one hell of an offensive line coach. He is perceptive and experienced enough to help the offensive line not only effectively transition but to optimally get better.

The other guy was hailed as a great oline coach too. But it's not great coaching to take All Pros, or any pros, and overturn everything they do because you have your magic system that *you're* accustomed to. This is the Garrett method of "I do what I do, and players are interchangeable cogs".

I'm going off of one comment from Williams:

That can't be literally true, but it does indicate wholesale systematic changes to the oline. To what end? They weren't bums last year. Why set back their play to implement a new system, particularly with such limited time for the players to learn that system?

There are different systems. None of them are magic. Once the players have gotten up to speed, there's not much reason to think they'll be better in the new system. Will Martin go from All Pro to Super Duper All Pro? But the transition costs to the new system will be real.

With the limited time to make updates to a system that already works well, I'd rather see him trying to make some incremental changes than installing a brand new one.

conner01

Reaction score

I get the fear but I don’t think it will be that bad
Most team use zone and man blocking schemes
I think the biggest problem before was more technical changes in blocking not really scheme
I think this is a very athletic line and from what I’ve read about the scheme they like it fits this group well
But time will tell
I think Biadasz is the future at center but not this year
The way camp is will hurt his chances
In a normal camp he would have gotten lots of game reps. Losing those reps hurts his chances
But I do think he is the future and I really like him