Consistency In Officiating?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I don't know if I have ever seen a year like this year where there just isn't any at ALL.

Penalties are missed left and right. I thought the Cowboys were fortunate that they got away with a couple of most blatant facemasks that I have ever seen when they played the Eagles. Fast forward to the Skins game and Pacman almost has his head torn off by the facemask. No flag. No nothing. The official knew he missed the call too because Pac got right in his face and probably said a few things that would have been flagged in another circumstance.

But I guess instances like that aren't issues of consistency but rather just crappy officiating.

So what do you call it when one player is flagged for doing something and another player isn't? Favoritism? Seriously, I would like to know what the hell is going on.

I've seen players flagged for spinning the ball after a big play but anyone who has watched Santana Moss will tell you outright that spinning the ball never gets flagged.

The whole "going to the ground" rule is about as loosely as enforced as the ball spinning rule.

Check this out:

Braylon Edwards - 2:05 Mark

Edwards scores a TD and falls to the ground in the process. He gets up and then jumps back down to 1 knee where he proceeds to play the air-guitar right in front of an official. And I'm not talking about the official being near the play, the guy is standing right there and you can see walks within touching distance of Edwards but just seems to not even care.

I can handle bad calls as many are made in the heat of the moment. However, I cannot stand to see rules just get enforced only upon certain players. Its pathetic. I'd like to hear Periera explain why Edwards wasn't flagged.

And here is another thing that is really pissing me off. Officials are jumping to conclusions on plays far too often. Flags are being thrown and whistles blown before anything really happens. Taking a look at the flag thrown on Henry the other day for a Horse-Collar (even though it was picked up) and the Cutler play, it seems like these officials are trying to predict what will happen and are throwing flags/blowing whistles based on that.

Is it just me here? Am I overreacting or does the officiating especially suck at this point?

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
I think that the official was still in shock that Braylon caught a pass this year.

links18

Reaction score
The quality of the officiating is downright disgraceful. It gets worse and worse every year to the point now where it is embarrassing to the league.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
There are too many rules to keep straight. Dump the really stupid ones like horsecollar tackle and let men play the game.

Reaction score
Hostile;2301386 said:
There are too many rules to keep straight. Dump the really stupid ones like horsecollar tackle and let men play the game.

I totally agree with you Hos. There are far to many rules nad also to many interpretations of them. The once sadi they wanted to speed the game up but it seem to me they are slowing them down. I agree Hoof in the fact that there is no consistency between Officiating Teams from one game to the next.

juck

Reaction score
Team vegas is winning though.I must admit I hate their striped unis.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Hostile;2301386 said:

DANG SKIPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That call is getting ridiculous quickly... I hate it. Furthermore, I think it is such a BS call because pulling the man down does minimal damage unless the players get tangled up. I don't think grabbing from behind was the real issue at all, but it gets called all the time... the injury itself was due to the damage that could occur to the back of the legs when in the process of dragging the man down hard...

see Musa Smith (Ravens) and T Owens (when with the Eagles)

BTW, wasn't the rule tweaked???

1. On initial implementation of the rule/penalty it was doled out when the defender grabbed the shoulder pads behind the neck and pulled the guy down. But grabbing just the jersey was OK then.

2. Then they tweaked the rule to include pulling down by the shoulder pads as well as by the jersey...

was this the case?

ladiewolve

Reaction score
Hostile;2301386 said:

Amen , and let them celebrate in the end zone after a touchdown!

ladiewolve

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2301213 said:
I don't know if I have ever seen a year like this year where there just isn't any at ALL.

Penalties are missed left and right. I thought the Cowboys were fortunate that they got away with a couple of most blatant facemasks that I have ever seen when they played the Eagles. Fast forward to the Skins game and Pacman almost has his head torn off by the facemask. No flag. No nothing. The official knew he missed the call too because Pac got right in his face and probably said a few things that would have been flagged in another circumstance.

But I guess instances like that aren't issues of consistency but rather just crappy officiating.

So what do you call it when one player is flagged for doing something and another player isn't? Favoritism? Seriously, I would like to know what the hell is going on.

I've seen players flagged for spinning the ball after a big play but anyone who has watched Santana Moss will tell you outright that spinning the ball never gets flagged.

The whole "going to the ground" rule is about as loosely as enforced as the ball spinning rule.

Check this out:

Braylon Edwards - 2:05 Mark

Edwards scores a TD and falls to the ground in the process. He gets up and then jumps back down to 1 knee where he proceeds to play the air-guitar right in front of an official. And I'm not talking about the official being near the play, the guy is standing right there and you can see walks within touching distance of Edwards but just seems to not even care.

I can handle bad calls as many are made in the heat of the moment. However, I cannot stand to see rules just get enforced only upon certain players. Its pathetic. I'd like to hear Periera explain why Edwards wasn't flagged.

And here is another thing that is really pissing me off. Officials are jumping to conclusions on plays far too often. Flags are being thrown and whistles blown before anything really happens. Taking a look at the flag thrown on Henry the other day for a Horse-Collar (even though it was picked up) and the Cutler play, it seems like these officials are trying to predict what will happen and are throwing flags/blowing whistles based on that.

Is it just me here? Am I overreacting or does the officiating especially suck at this point?
It's not just you. If it had been T.O...it would of been a flag. I say let them all celebrate in the end zone after a touch down. I really miss the old hand pistols the Boy use to do.:)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ladiewolve;2301664 said:
Amen , and let them celebrate in the end zone after a touchdown!
Yep. I don't like most celebrations but it's a freaking stupid rule.