Consistency, Where Art Thou?

Rockytop6

Reaction score
I know. I get high with every win and get low with every loss. However, this loss is very troubling.

Every year for the last four years we have fallen apart during December. I have heard the sportswriters say that it can't happen this year because the attitude, morale, etc., etc., are much better. Also we have Romo and Garrett.
Romo is too good to lose his composure, etc. so the story goes.

Yet, the first game in December we beat the Lions by one point when they had lost 4 games straight.
The second game in December we can only score 6 points against a 5-8 team.
This was a very important game because with a win we would clinch a first round bye. It would also give us another step in securing home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

It was also the final regular season game at home before the team hits the road and the fans deserved a much better game for their regular season ending finale.

Further, we are now tied with the Packers for home field advantage except for head to head, and there is now no room for error.
The loss hurts even more because of the injuries we incurred. We won't know the seriousness and full extent of the injuries until later in the week.
Just as we thought we would get our injured players back healthy again for the playoffs we really take it on the chin.

Last week our D couldn't stop the Lions and this week our O couldn't score against the Eagles.

Next week we play the Panthers who won at home over the Seahawks. The following week we play the Commanders who are leading the Giants 16-3 at half time in New York. These two games look pretty shakey right now. The Packers have two gimme games and we will be in a fight for our lives.

At this point we are not as consistent as the Packers. This is troubling because we could well be traveling to the "frozen tundra" of Packerland if we make it that far.

I know some will point to the record of 12-2 an call me a chicken little and much worse but remember S.D.'s record of 14-2 last year and they exited the playoffs after their first playoff game.

There was so much on the line the last two games and we played like manure. After the games we hear that the problems are correctable and will be correctable yet the team played worse today than they have played all year with only two games remaining in regular season.

We should be hitting our stride about now. I have heard for the last few games that the upcoming game is a statement game. Well this upcoming game with the Panthers IS a statment game. If we don't recover and win next Sunday we will travel to Packerland if we get that far.

I'm just troubled over the fact that after the 14th game of the season we are this inconsistent. Now we might have some serious injury problems as well.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
good post...agree with all of it

everyone should be concerned...we are stinking up the joint at the worst possible time, and the injuries are definitely mounting

David

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Rockytop6;1838963 said:
I know. I get high with every win and get low with every loss. However, this loss is very troubling.

HAHA! I laughed at this (i do know what you mean). Anyways, good post, I agree with ya!

sweetness0986

Reaction score
After the games we hear that the problems are correctable and will be correctable yet the team played worse today than they have played all year with only two games remaining in regular season.
Technically, we did correct our problems from last week. Our D today was 100x better than against Detroit. Tonight's game however brought on a different set of problems. The team as a whole didn't play their worst game of the season, Romo did.

That said, we are an inconsistent football team. Last week Romo was our saving grace with that last TD drive, and this week I was scared every time he threw the football. Instead of being terrified whenever our D stepped on the field like I was last week, I was confident tonight they would make the stop. I feel like we have a really hard time pulling both ends together... when the offense is great, the defense is lackluster. Offense is poor, defense is performing. If both sides manage to put their top game into effect, we would be a force to reckon with for NE. However, after the last 2 performances, there's no way I'm looking that far ahead yet.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Uh, going 12-2 is consistently winning. No team plays every season perfectly.

Taz

Reaction score
Future;1839157 said:

record wise cheaters are about to..

point is it doesn't matter if you are he better team or the better record the NFL playoffs isn't the best of 5 series 1 game you don't show up means you go home

Big Dakota

Reaction score
I know one thing, we've run the ball a total of 29 times to our RBs in the last 2 games. We ran it 26 times against Green Bay. We need to RUN THE BALL!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Taz;1839212 said:
record wise cheaters are about to..

point is it doesn't matter if you are he better team or the better record the NFL playoffs isn't the best of 5 series 1 game you don't show up means you go home

Yea, we have been consistently winning, meaning this game was an anomaly (sp?). Its why I dont look too much into it.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I hated this game, but I think we needed this, yes we've been on a roll, but the wins started to become less convincing w/ every week, hopefully as someone has already said, this will cause them to re-focus, and get hungry

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Big Dakota;1839221 said:
I know one thing, we've run the ball a total of 29 times to our RBs in the last 2 games. We ran it 26 times against Green Bay. We need to RUN THE BALL!

After sleeping on it overnight, this morning I remembered a statement by Parcells. He said, when everybody was pouring the anointing oil on Romo, to wait until he had a bad game and lost, and the fans and media were down on him and then see how he responded.

Well, he had a bad game against the Bills but because he won in the end the anointing oil continued to flow. This is the first time he has really played badly and lost and has come under fire. Next Saturday will tell us a lot. I think it will confirm that we need to stock up with some more anointing oil.

I agree about the running game drying up on us. I don't know if it's because the run isn't being called enough or if its not being called enough because it isn't working. Whatever the reason, it needs to be fixed.

Again, Saturday will tell us a lot. I believe we will like what we hear --- and see.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Future;1839157 said:

shut up voice of reason. there is no room for that in this thread.