Conspiracy Theory

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just a personal thought:

Rumors are rampant that the owners will be opting out of the current labor deal this year. This move will result in an uncapped year in 2010.

What if Jerry Jones knows this will happen and is basing the Cowboys' future plans on it?

He could go on a virtual spending spree and sign A-list free agents to back-loaded contracts knowing that 2010 will be uncapped.

The Commanders gambled on an extension of the CBA two years ago and they won.

Could Jones be gambling on an uncapped year?

Just a thought......

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Jones on the CBA
7:21 PM Sun, Feb 24, 2008 | Permalink
Albert Breer E-mail News tips

On Wednesday, NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw discussed the league's wealthy owners' desire to opt out of the collective bargaining agreement on Nov. 8.

"Someone asked me morning, what's the biggest issue, why is this such a problem now?" Upshaw told us. "I said it's very easy. The owners feel as if they're giving the players too much and the players should give some back, so Jerry Jones and (Bob) Kraft and the rest of them can make more money. That's not happening."

Jones addressed the idea of opting out today during his lengthy chat with local media types.

"I don't want to talk about what is best for the Cowboys or where I am relative to opting out," Jones said. "That is not something that I'm sure where I am just to show where you are. What I am saying is that it takes 24 votes not to opt out. It is difficult to get 24 votes to do anything in the NFL, because you could easily have nine different teams for nine different reasons that don't want to go along with different aspects of the labor deal. It's a real challenge when you have nine clubs that can decide they want to opt out and it affects all 32 teams. ... Think about that.

"That is what makes me say, 'Boy, this thing has a real good chance of the league opting out because it has the hurdle of 24 votes.' There are complaints of different perspective by every club in the NFL. Not 90 percent. One-hundred percent of clubs have aspects to the labor agreement they don't like. When you have that kind of dynamic going, there is a chance for an opt out."

Jones doesn't think the loss of Paul Tagliabue will affect this negotiation. In fact, he thinks new commish Roger Goodell will do fine.

He also shot down the idea that this is about consensus-building, in a political sense. In the past, Jones felt like Tagliabue worked to get proposal that wouldn't get shot down, and thinks Goodell will do the same.

And that's about compromise.

"It wasn't like, 'Jones you vote for this deal and I wont suspend Leon Lett," he said with a laugh. "I would say there isn't as much of that, as much as there is 32 guys sitting down and saying 'This is the best for my club and the best for the league.' I never saw much of 'You vote for this and I'll give you the Super Bowl.'"

Cowboys22

Reaction score
No, technically there may be an uncapped year but I remember it being reported that the owners have rules in place that govern any uncapped year to keep teams from going on wild spending sprees. Counting on this would be a very dumb move and Jerry did not get to where he is at by being dumb. Want an example? The man bought steel futures contracts before contruction of the new stadium began to hedge against the price of steel going up, thus increasing construction costs. How many of us would have ever thought of such a thing?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If they have good leads that 9+ team will opt out could they just sign players to 4 year deals and pay them loads of money in 2010 and just in case the cap comes back in 2011 they would still be ok?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
if that is the case, every team will be backloading so I don't see how that will help us.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
We will never see the NFL uncapped again...it will come to a lockout or a strike before that happens.

Jerry Jones and (Bob) Kraft and the rest of them can make more money. That's not happening."

Hate that statement. Jerry has always paid his players plenty...its the cheap guys that would have this problem.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Future;1969982 said:
We will never see the NFL uncapped again...it will come to a lockout or a strike before that happens.

Hate that statement. Jerry has always paid his players plenty...its the cheap guys that would have this problem.

Exactly. He's also never had a problem with the cap per say. His argument has always been that there's more money out there to share and owners like himself or Snyder shouldn't have to give so much of it away for being creative and agressive in marketing their teams while duds like the Bidwells, Mike Brown, and Ralph Wilson stink up the joint.

YAKUZA

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
It will never be uncapped again cause then everyone will have to see us with all the stars

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;1970168 said:
It will never be uncapped again cause then everyone will have to see us with all the stars

You know, Son? I agree with you, Son.

David276

Benched
Reaction score
hm.. also strange upshaw isnt around anymore.... it would be seattle dallas wash and then the pats every year. along with nfc east.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Cowboys22;1969549 said:
No, technically there may be an uncapped year but I remember it being reported that the owners have rules in place that govern any uncapped year to keep teams from going on wild spending sprees. Counting on this would be a very dumb move and Jerry did not get to where he is at by being dumb. Want an example? The man bought steel futures contracts before contruction of the new stadium began to hedge against the price of steel going up, thus increasing construction costs. How many of us would have ever thought of such a thing?
Who would not have?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
stasheroo;1969470 said:
Just a personal thought:

Rumors are rampant that the owners will be opting out of the current labor deal this year. This move will result in an uncapped year in 2010.

What if Jerry Jones knows this will happen and is basing the Cowboys' future plans on it?

He could go on a virtual spending spree and sign A-list free agents to back-loaded contracts knowing that 2010 will be uncapped.

The Commanders gambled on an extension of the CBA two years ago and they won.

Could Jones be gambling on an uncapped year?

Just a thought......

No soap, Stash.

I heard that Jerra asked Wade if he should go on a spending spree next year and Wade shrugged and said "naw, we're fine."

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
"It wasn't like, 'Jones you vote for this deal and I wont suspend Leon Lett," he said with a laugh. "I would say there isn't as much of that, as much as there is 32 guys sitting down and saying 'This is the best for my club and the best for the league.' I never saw much of 'You vote for this and I'll give you the Super Bowl.'"

Much? Hmmmmmm...........

Now there's a conspiracy theory for ya :D

Extreme

Benched
Reaction score
Regardless of whether there ends up being a cap or not, it doesn't matter. Dan Snyder and George Steinbrenner have both proven numerous times that you can't buy a championship. Hell, Jerry's done it too.

Having all the talent in the world means nothing if they can't play together.