Converting video to mpeg

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I have something I TIVOed that I burned to a DVD that I'd now like to convert to an mpeg. Can someone give me a clue of how I might go about that? What programs I might use, etc?

Many thanks.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Danny White said:
I have something I TIVOed that I burned to a DVD that I'd now like to convert to an mpeg. Can someone give me a clue of how I might go about that? What programs I might use, etc?

Many thanks.

Have you fiddled with the newest windows media player?

I know they can rip from CDs to convert to MP3...have no clue if they can do something with DVD to mpegs.

Of course you could always ask JDSmith or Calico.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Thanks BP. I downloaded some free trial software that seems to be doing the trick. The only problem I have with it, is I can't seem to adjust the size of the file I'm creating. My 5 minute clip is running about 50 MB right now, which is a little cumbersome for emailing to people.

Anyway, I'll keep experimenting. So far so good.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Danny White said:
Thanks BP. I downloaded some free trial software that seems to be doing the trick. The only problem I have with it, is I can't seem to adjust the size of the file I'm creating. My 5 minute clip is running about 50 MB right now, which is a little cumbersome for emailing to people.

Anyway, I'll keep experimenting. So far so good.

They can be quite large...I think those games on that one site is around 174 megs for 25-30 minutes.

You may wish to ask Calico about Divix as it seems that is a good compression codec to get the size down some.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, I have a perfect mpeg of just what I want now. I'd just like to get the size down somewhat if possible so I can email it to some people.

VirusX

Reaction score
I could convert it, if you can get it to me I would be happy to.. PM me..

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I've had some good luck using the Windows Movie Maker to compress my existing mpeg down to a workable file. By editing down my video to about 3 minutes and compressing that file, I've gotten it down to about 3 MB, and while it's rough, it'll work for what I'm trying to do.

Thanks again to all for your help.

FRDRCK

DeWare94
Reaction score
i have the same problem, i have two really nice roy williams hits that i wanted to turn into gifs but they wont play in quicktime

one of them is the tai streets one from last year and the other one is the todd heap one from the pro bowl.

when i go to play the heap one it says i need some kind of software but i dont know which kind and when i go to play the streets one a pop up comes up saying it wont play because it is not a movie file

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Though this question seems to have been answered, I found a really good tool called Jet Audio over on download.com, when I was looking for something that would convert mp3s to wavs (so that I could burn songs to CD and play them in my Cherokee)... it also converts a number of video file types as well... the conversion process is really easy...

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Though this question seems to have been answered, I found a really good tool called Jet Audio over on download.com, when I was looking for something that would convert mp3s to wavs (so that I could burn songs to CD and play them in my Cherokee)... it also converts a number of video file types as well... the conversion process is really easy...
Thanks Bear!

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Danny White said:
Thanks Bear!

Lemme know how (or if) it worked out for you...

And of course, you're welcome... if I was any help, I'm happy...

KoRn_BoYz_5

Reaction score
DeWare94 said:
i have the same problem, i have two really nice roy williams hits that i wanted to turn into gifs but they wont play in quicktime

one of them is the tai streets one from last year and the other one is the todd heap one from the pro bowl.

when i go to play the heap one it says i need some kind of software but i dont know which kind and when i go to play the streets one a pop up comes up saying it wont play because it is not a movie file

i have a couple of those hits as .gifs already, when i get off work tonight (ruffly about nine ish ill time) ill upload em for ya, i also have a few other nasty hits from roy as .gifs too

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
I would bookmark this site:

http://www.videohelp.com

It's been a blessing many a days for me - has all kinds of guides on conversions, how to rip audio from video files, dvds, etc.

Bear - The only program I know of is an oldie, called mp3towav - It used to be on download.com but that was back in the days when dot-com was a good thing. I'm sure there are newer/better apps out there.

Hope this helps,
GTaylor

FRDRCK

DeWare94
Reaction score
the 4th one doesn't work and now i cant get the 2nd and 3rd one to work but thanks!

KoRn_BoYz_5

Reaction score
damn and the 3rd one is my fav. its the hit on Jeff Garcia where he SLAMS him to the turf