Cooper Beebe's day-one position?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Its not that hard a transition
It's not but you said Hoffman CAN'T play center.....that's just not true. As a matter of fact, Stephen just said the other day that whoever is competing with him better bring their lunch pale. Now if we were talking about one of the player like Frazier or JPJ, who played center at a high level in college, I agree but that's not the case.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Are you serious?????? To say Hoffman can't play center, especially at least as good as a player who has never played it is odd. Hoffman's experience at the center is extensive. Again, Beebe may win the battle but to rubber stamp him as a starter over Hoffman is a reach.

Read this

https://hokiesports.com/sports/football/roster/brock-hoffman/11240

Brock Hoffman

OLPosition
Redshirt JuniorClass
Statesville, N.C.Hometown

Season Stats​

Season:

Summary​

Biography​

2021 Honors
2022 East-West Shrine Bowl Invitee
All-ACC Honorable Mention
Wells Fargo Advisors Humanitarian of the Year
Wuerffel Trophy Semifinalist
Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year Semifinalist
Allstate AFCA Good Works Team Nominee
2020 Honors
All-ACC First Team (Eric Mac Lain)
All-ACC Honorable Mention (Official ACC)
2021: Played in 12 games (11 starts) - 10 at center and one at left guard vs. Richmond (9/25) ... Moved to right tackle at West Virginia (9/18) when starter Silas Dzansi left the game due to injury ... Started at center before leaving due to injury at Boston College (11/5) ... Saw reserve action at Miami (11/20).

2020: Started all 11 games at center for Tech in 2020 … Helped the Hokies lead the ACC in rushing at 240.1 ypg … Tech scored 27 rushing TDs on the season and amassed better than 200 rush yards eight times, 250+ six times and 300 or more rushing yards on three occasions … Earned All-ACC Academic Team honors ... Was selected as ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week twice in 2020 … Earned ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week honors after Tech rolled up 283 net rushing yards and five rushing scores in a 42-35 win at Louisville (10/31) … Started vs. NC State (9/26) at center in his Tech debut, earning ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week honors after Tech rolled up 314 net rushing yards in a 45-24 win.

2019: Was unable to see game action after his appeal to the NCAA for immediate eligibility was denied … Practiced with the squad and redshirted.

Coastal Carolina: Started all 12 games at right guard on the offensive line for the Chants … Part of the offensive unit up front that led the CCU rushing attack to rank fourth in the Sun Belt and 41st nationally with an average of 198.7 rushing yards per game … Named to the 2018 CoSIDA Google Cloud Academic All-District first team … A member of the President’s List (4.0) in the fall 2018 semester ... A member of the Team Leadership Council for 2018 … As a freshman, Played in and started all 12 games … First true freshman to start at center in Coastal’s history (since 2003) and was just the third true freshman to draw a start along offensive line (Parez Riley started one game at left guard in CCU’s first year of 2003 and Kaleb Dees started one game at right guard in 2010) … Anchored an offensive line that was the youngest in the NCAA FBS for most of the season … Top-graded offensive lineman four times - Western Illinois, Appalachian State and Arkansas, while tying for the team honor versus UAB … Signed and enrolled with Coastal Carolina in January 2017 … Participated in spring drills ... Earned President’s List (4.0 GPA).

Personal: The son of Brian and Stephanie Hoffman … Father, Brian, played tight end and defensive end for Catawba College (1987-90) ... Earned his degree in communication science and social inquiry in 2021.
He also graded out pretty badly when he got real NFL snaps. The Washington game was basically a preseason game and he didnt get much push, and he was awful VS Arizona. I just dont see him as someone who is going develop into anything more than a backup player. With being said, I expect Beebe to be a better OC as soon as they transition.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's not but you said Hoffman CAN'T play center.....that's just not true. As a matter of fact, Stephen just said the other day that whoever is competing with him better bring their lunch pale. Now if we were talking about one of the player like Frazier or JPJ, who played center at a high level in college, I agree but that's not the case.
If you want me to clarify, I don't think he can play C at the level of a passable NFL starter

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He is a hell of a player but where are we playing him?????? He played LT, RT and LG but never C for Kansas State. I know some have mentioned center and they could be right. Just the other day, Stephen implied Hoffman would get some competition for the starting center position. Something about bringing your pale lunch if you to beat out Hoffman. Perhaps this is it.......

Both, he's big enough. Though seriously, he'll be coached at both (and is another player that's drafted more for 2025, than 2024). The perfect storm, Hoffman gets OC1, Beebe heavily breathing behind him, whilst Beebe has the flex to become OC and RG (in 2025).

KevinHickey22

Reaction score
He is a hell of a player but where are we playing him?????? He played LT, RT and LG but never C for Kansas State. I know some have mentioned center and they could be right. Just the other day, Stephen implied Hoffman would get some competition for the starting center position. Something about bringing your pale lunch if you to beat out Hoffman. Perhaps this is it.......

Probably comes down to if Guyton can take the LT position. If he isn’t ready he will challenge LG, C. Depends on if they are ready.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
. I just dont see him as someone who is going develop into anything more than a backup player. With being said, I expect Beebe to be a better OC as soon as they transition.
I see what you are saying, and I respect that. All I am saying is I would rather let it play out and let the competition decide coz I have no idea who's better.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Both, he's big enough. Though seriously, he'll be coached at both (and is another player that's drafted more for 2025, than 2024). The perfect storm, Hoffman gets OC1, Beebe heavily breathing behind him, whilst Beebe has the flex to become OC and RG (in 2025).
Pretty sure the FO would love this.........

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
No chance Guyton isn’t your day one starter.

LT Guyton
LG Smith
C Beebe
RG Martin
RT Steele
IDK we will see but he is switching from RT to LT and yes I know it is done all the time what if he needs a little time? Then this combination may be better to start the season .....

LT Smith
LG Beebe
C Hoffman'
RG Martin
RT Guyton or Steele (loser is your swing )

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Center. Day one.

Hoffman is a scrappy backup level player at best.
We will see John........Hoffman has only played 2 professional games at center. How do we know he can't he can't play at a high level off such a small sampling?

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I'm guessing he is a backup for the first half of the season. He will need to learn a new position.

starfan1

Reaction score
He would definitely beat out Hofman but do you think C would be the best use of his talents? I think OG and kick Tyler to T.
I’m more on board with center. You don’t kick an all pro out of their position of strength

And if you do then I’d do this
LT Smith
LG beebe
C Hoffman
RG martin
RT guyton

My preference is this though
LT guyton
LG smith
C beebe
RG Martin
LT Steele. ( but I’d love someone to beat him out)

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I’m more on board with center. You don’t kick an all pro out of their position of strength

And if you do then I’d do this
LT Smith
LG beebe
C Hoffman
RG martin
RT guyton

My preference is this though
LT guyton
LG smith
C beebe
RG Martin
LT Steele. ( but I’d love someone to beat him out)
This ^^^^^^ If for some reason Guyton struggles a bit at LT, I'm def kicking him to the other side and Steele becomes a swing.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Its not that hard a transition
You think? Let’s see…
-Shotgun snaps
-Line calls
-Reach blocks without screwing up the exchange
-Using your off hand to punch

There’s a lot more to it than simply learning how to snap the ball, Even something as simple as how much weight you put on your hand while in your stance on run plays changes. Not saying he can’t do it and be good but it’s a huge adjustment.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I understand but who are you benching or not starting ( if he can't play center right away )
My guess is that he is competing for C this year, if he wins the job, great! If not and if Hoffman plays well, he is competing with Bass for RG the next year.