Cordarro Law, DE/OLB, Southern Miss

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Determination, Cordarro Law, DE/OLB, Southern Miss, Exclusive Interview

Damond_y_maga_tiny by Damond Talbot on Mar 29, 2012 11:00 AM EDT in 2012 NFL Draft

0 comments
Story-email Email
Printer Print

Cordarro Law, has been an animal off the edge for the past few years at Southern Mississippi. He had a wonderful pro day, and could be on his way up teams boards. What round do you think Cordarro will be drafted in?

Eugene Tanner - AP

Cordarro Law, has been an animal off the edge for the past few years at Southern Mississippi. He had a wonderful pro day, and could be on his way up teams boards. What round do you think Cordarro will be drafted in?

Since Cordarro Law arrived at Southern Mississippi he has been a dominate force for the Golden Eagles defense. He has accrued 192 tackles, 74 tackles for loss, 27.5 sacks and has caused 14 forced fumbles. He has not had less than a 5 sacks season in his entire career even as a freshman. There is no doubt, he can beat a tackle on the edge, but he is constantly in the backfield causing problems for the opponents Offense.

This year he helped the Golden Eagles win the Conference USA Championship with a huge win over undefeated Houston beating the Cougars, 49-28 in dominating fashion. Law was an animal in the game and had a huge sack in the fourth quarter on QB Case Keenum to finish off the Houston high powered offense. Law has went from little town to big city, and has really been a major impact player for the team this year. It is a huge accomplishment for the Golden Eagles, especially when their starting linebacker Korey Williams went out with an injury. Law was able to become a leader of the team and help Southern Mississippi finish in the top 20 in the polls, which had not happened since 1999.

Cordarro had an amazing forty yard dash for a big guy as he ran a 4.74 forty, a 4.32 in the short shuffle, and posted 23 reps of 225 pounds on the bench. He measured in on the smaller side at 6’1 ½ and weighed in at 257 pounds. He will definitely get late round grades from NFL teams. What round do you see Cordarro getting drafted?

Star-divide

What position did you play in High School?

I played both running back and linebacker. It was a mix between Darren McFadden and Reggie Bush back in the day. I even wore number 5 like them.

What was the transition from High School to Southern Mississippi like?

It was really rough at first, coming from a small school and a little town in Alabama, then going to a huge school it was different. I just worked extremely hard and it worked out the best for me.

What colleges were looking at you when you were coming out of school?

University of Central Florida, Troy, Alabama, Southern Mississippi and Virginia

Since your freshman year you have averaged 5 sacks a season. What is your favorite move?

I would have to say, the spin move. I have gotten tons of sacks off of it. I get sacks using it and I feel I know when to implement it to my advantage.

What was your most memorable moment at Southern Mississippi?

Beating Houston this year in the Championship that was a huge moment for us, and the way we did it was even better.

Do you have a pre-game ritual?

I sit at my locker put on my headphones, listen to music and send out text messages to my friends and family members.

Do you have any hobbies?

I love playing video games, especially Madden and NCAA Football, any sports games are fun. I also love bowling, even though I am not good, but it is fun.

What is your highest score in bowling?

(No comment, Just giggles)

If you could meet one person dead or alive, who would it be and why?

I would love to meet Jay-Z. He makes great music and it really calms me down and I sit there and think about what he is saying.

What NFL teams have spoken with you so far?

Bills, Dolphins, Patriots and Cowboys

Everyone asks this question but I’m curious to know what will you buy first with your first NFL pay check?

I would buy my mother a car. She means the world to me.

Would you be hesitant about going to a cold weather NFL team?

No, I would not be hesitant, I love the cold weather. I have never worn sleeves under my pads for any game. I remember our coach in high school saying "Don’t worry about the weather" and taking his shirt off when it was freezing outside. You can’t let something you can’t control, control you. Great question though.

Where have you been told to be projected in the draft?

I have been told anywhere between the 3rd round to Free Agent, I feel I’m blessed wherever I go.

Here is a two part question, First, What’s your favorite NFL team growing up? Second,"Name a player on that team that has inspired you in your game."

My favorite team growing up was the Dallas Cowboys. I remember sitting on the couch with my grandmother and watching Emmitt Smith put on a great performance in the Super Bowl.

If I was a GM, What game would I go look at that shows your best football game? What can I expect to see?

All you have to do is watch the Championship game against Houston. You will see how I was all over the field, chasing down wide receivers from behind, causing havoc in the backfield and dominated the game. #49 was everywhere, I knew it was on national television and I showed the world that night that I could do it at a high level.

What separates you from other players at your position who are also entering the Draft?

I am a lot faster and have a great awareness for the ball.

I would just like to thank Cordarro for taking time out of his busy schedule to do an interview with me. Thanks again, big man and good luck from the Mocking the Draft family. Make sure to follow me on twitter @drocksthaparty

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Gryphon;4486118 said:
Determination, Cordarro Law, DE/OLB, Southern Miss, Exclusive Interview

I am a lot faster and have a great awareness for the ball.

I would just like to thank Cordarro for taking time out of his busy schedule to do an interview with me. Thanks again, big man and good luck from the Mocking the Draft family. Make sure to follow me on twitter @drocksthaparty

good info thanks, do you know how long his arms are, and ive seen he is faster than what you have, 4.67

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
by Chris Ransom
New England Patriots and Dallas Stars Featured
http://www.rantsports.com/mock-draft/2011/12/31/cordarro-law-scouting-report/

Cordarro Law 3-4 Right Outside Linebacker #49 Senior Redshirt

Pros

Physical Ability: Law has amazing physical ability for a defensive player.

Durability: Law is one of the toughest college players I’ve seen when watching him on film.

Size: Law is 6 foot 2 261 pounds. He has the versatility to play a 4-3 or a 3-4 scheme as a pass rusher. Some people say Law is undersized. I feel like he can bulk up if necessary to adjust to a 4-3 or a 3-4 scheme at the next level.

Learning Rate: Learns to adapt on the fly right away. It does not take Law long to learn your teams playbook along with the pass rushing schemes that your defensive coordinator will assign Law.

Football IQ: Very smart instinctive football player. Can adapt to a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 outside linebacker scheme. His favorite player to watch on film is LaMaar Woodley. Law reminds me so much of Woodley’s Steeler teammate James Harrison coming out of Kent State its not even funny. There is a part of me that wants to send a gift basket to quarterbacks that face Law on Sunday’s. I really hope the New England Patriots add Law in the 2nd or 3rd round if our team cannot get a pass rusher in the first round.

Awareness: Cordarro Law showcases great awareness at getting to the football. Law’s ability to get to the football as a pass rusher, run stuffer, or turnover machine is one of his primary strengths.

Intangibles: Law has great intangibles. He is a team leader on and off the field. Law got voted team captain for Southern Mississippi as a senior.

Strength: Law has the strength to play on the defensive line even though he may be a slightly better fit as that 3-4 outside linebacker pass rusher.

Speed: Law has the speed to play in a 4-3 or a 3-4. Law shows the burst and technique off the edge.

Team Leader: Law got voted team captain and continues to remain consistent with Southern Mississippi.

Pass Rusher: Cordarro Law is one of the NCAA’s most consistent pass rushers. Law had 7 sacks in 2009 as a sophomore redshirt. He had 6 sacks as a junior redshirt in 2010. Law finished his career with 9.5 sacks in 2011.

Run Stuffer: Law is a very effective run stuffer. Law has the ability to inflict tackles for a loss on plays.

Pursuit: Law manages to pursuit the quarterback reall well.

Finesse Moves: Law seems to have really good finesse moves for inflicting a loss of yards when you watch the tape.

Clutch: Law plays his best games on the biggest stage against the biggest opponents. Law also performs better as the game progresses. Law’s two best games of the year came against Houston and Nevada.

Work Ethic: Law has an outstanding work ethic. He’s a top notch pass rusher that wants to become a double digit sack artists.

Can Be Used as a 4-3 Right End: Law can line up as a 4-3 right end.

Can Be Used as a 4-3 Left End: Law can line up as a 4-3 left end against right tackles.

Can Be Used as a 3-4 Right Outside Linebacker: Law can be utilized as a 3-4 outside linebacker. Law has the size to be a 3-4 pass rusher. Law has more experience playing on the right side.

Can Be Used as a 3-4 Left Outside Linebacker: LaMaar Woodley who is Law’s current favorite NFL player plays that 3-4 left outside linebacker role. It may be difficult for Law to make an early transition. I believe he will have an impact at some point down the line.

Burst Off the Edge: Law has burst off the edge to win the one on one battles with his speed and aggressive ability as a pass rusher.

Production: Law has amazing production for a pass rusher with his consistent performances over the last few years.

Potential: I really believe Law has potential to be a draft day steal that molds himself into a pro bowler as his career progresses.

Cons

Block Shedding: I would like to see some better block shedding from Law. He will improve this area over time though.

Power Moves: I feel like Law relies too much on his Finesse Moves to get to the quarterback. Using some power moves to play more physical at the point of attack would only help Cordarro Law’s game moving forward.

My Thoughts On Cordarro Law

Law has all the talent in the world to become the next James Harrison. Some people are grading Law as a 6th round to undrafted player. Your getting a steal if Law falls this far. I saw a 3rd round talent after the Houston game. After watching Law dominate the Hawaii Bowl, I am fully convinced he has ability to get drafted in the first two rounds.

It will be interesting to see if other scouts and GM’s feel the same day. Will Law go early like I think he should or does Cordarro Law slip on draft day?

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;4486231 said:
I saw that, but doesnt give his arm length. As you know LB needs good arm length to fend off blockers, example Ingram reportedly has 29 or 30 inch arms, basically you want about 32 inch arms to fend off offensive blockers.

I only know what is posted out there on the web.