Cordrea Tankersley

tm1119

Reaction score
I see very little love for this guy around here and I'm curious why. 6'1 with 4.4 speed and played well as a 2 year starter on a D that was national championship worthy. 8 INT's in those 2 years as well. And the Cowboys have shown major interest in him with 2 separate meetings including him as 1 of 30 official team visits.

Name: Cordrea Tankersley

School: Clemson

Position fit: Outside cornerback

Stats to know: Allowed a passer rating of only 41.2 in two full seasons

What he does best:

• Has the size to press at the line of scrimmage. Ideal for a press-man scheme, length facilitates effective jams at the line of scrimmage.
  • Moves well for his size, allowing him to play multiple coverages.
  • Strong in man coverage, possesses incredible instincts and change-of-direction skills.
  • Scheme diverse: instincts and aggression make him a viable zone corner and he closes well on the ball in “off” coverage, particularly for his size.
  • Physical, willing to attack the LOS on run plays/screens, missed only 12 of 114 tackle attempts over last two seasons.
  • Reliable, gave up only one catch of 30-plus yards in 2016 and only one touchdown.
  • Can play either side, lining up on both perimeters extensively.
Biggest concern:

• Too physical at times, particularly at the top of routes. Had seven coverage penalties in 2016, and won’t get away with as much as he did in college in the NFL.
  • Lets WRs get on him in off coverage, has him playing catch-up far too often.
  • Really should have had more than four interceptions in 2016. Dropped another two that were fairly easy grabs.
  • Will lose the ball late down the field, loses subtle hand fight.
  • Tries to play through WRs hands, but not always successful, needs to time it better.
Player comparison: Trumaine Johnson, Los Angeles Rams
https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-cordrea-tankersley-cb-clemson/

STRENGTHS
Angular build with good length. Looks to harass and smother receiver for as long as he can. Runs with access to a second gear when needed. Two-year starter with experience in a variety of coverages. Disruptive at the catch point using full arm extension to maximize his length. Ball production was very good; had eight interceptions in just two years as a starter. Shut down Virginia Tech's Bucky Hodges in conference championship game, holding him to one catch and grabbing two interceptions. Soft hands will pluck it out of the air if he gets into position. Gets desired depth in Cover-2 responsibilities, balancing between high and low. Comes to balance and squares up as a tackler. Looks to tackle low and springs into ball carriers with aggressive shoulder aimed at their thighs.
WEAKNESSES
Anticipation and instincts slightly below average. Eyes are unsure and can be slow to process and react. Lacks bend in his backpedal and bail techniques. Struggles to sink and redirect quickly for transitions forward against comeback routes. Allows too much route separation from off coverage and will need to squeeze tighter on next level. Balance concerns in coverage. Feet and hips can be clunky when it's time to open and run out of press shuffle. Will panic when he gets behind on vertical routes and starts to grab. Had eight pass-interference calls against him in two season. Inconsistent in finding the ball when back is to the quarterback. Needs to add more muscle to frame.
NFL COMPARISON
Dre Kirkpatrick
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/cordrea-tankersley?id=2557931

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/cordrea-tankersley-vs-virginia-tech-2016/

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One of a few options for us at 28 I think.
Honestly see us moving back to 33-35 . Team in that range will want a qb at 28.
Get an extra 3rd hopefully

tm1119

Reaction score
One of a few options for us at 28 I think.
Honestly see us moving back to 33-35 . Team in that range will want a qb at 28.
Get an extra 3rd hopefully

Yeah I think Tankersley would be a great trade back candidate. Tankersley at 34 and and Basham/Rivers at 60 and I'm extremely happy.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
If Dallas picks this guy it would put to rest any claims of them going exclusively zone (which I don't see anyway). He's a very good press-man player. If we go zone he's gonna need some work. If we play man he's plug and play.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Dallas picks this guy it would put to rest any claims of them going exclusively zone (which I don't see anyway). He's a very good press-man player. If we go zone he's gonna need some work. If we play man he's plug and play.
I keep reading on this site about this "moving to zone" thing but I haven't seen RM mention it.
I probably missed it in the offseason but I would imagine a mixture of both is the best for all concerned....

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I actually like Tankersly a lot. He’s got just about everything you could look for in a late first round corner. He hits, tackles, and otherwise fits what Marinelli wants. He would be fine in a zone or in M2M (I see Dallas playing some of both).

I don’t know why we haven’t heard more about him from guys on CZ. Really nice player from a good school that produces good defenders.

I’d be fine with him.

tm1119

Reaction score
I keep reading on this site about this "moving to zone" thing but I haven't seen RM mention it.
I probably missed it in the offseason but I would imagine a mixture of both is the best for all concerned....

Nah, I don't think anyone in the Cowboys organization has said so. Just something this board has ran with for some reason. I'm sure Rod wouldn't mind playing a little more zone, but I highly doubt we are playing primarily zone. Unless you have a great pass rush (news flash, we don't) it's really hard to play a ton of zone in today's NFL. We'd get picked apart

gmoney112

Reaction score

No team plays just one coverage. Most teams in the league are playing "primarily" zone coverage. We ran primarily a cover 3 in 2014 when we had a lot of picks, and we want to generate turnovers. Being that Rod has used mostly zone in the past (he does switch it up a lot) and it's fairly likely we'll be looking to play more.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
With his athleticism and and experience and Clemson's QB pressure, I expect more and all I see is a solid guy. He's a Brandon Carr workman-like CB to me. Around the ball. He won't worry the QB at all. He'll stay with the WR but often not really challenge the WR. Seems a little lacking in flexibility when he has to change direction.

He does have some NFL quality INTs (always facing the QB) that tease what he could be. It's not all just a product of the Clemson pass rush. Had a fantastic one vs UNC in '15. I'll also disagree that zone is a weak part of his game. Looks pretty well developed for college. I think his scheme flexibility is a large part of his appeal.

There are worse prospects, but every other CB slated around top 75 is more interesting to me. He'd be a little disappointing at 28.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
He has been in for a visit or will be so there is definitely interest

Silverstar

Reaction score
Tankersley might be our pick at 28, but I agree a trade back would be ideal.

Same scenario with Jackson or White.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
I see very little love for this guy around here and I'm curious why. 6'1 with 4.4 speed and played well as a 2 year starter on a D that was national championship worthy. 8 INT's in those 2 years as well. And the Cowboys have shown major interest in him with 2 separate meetings including him as 1 of 30 official team visits.

Name: Cordrea Tankersley

School: Clemson

Position fit: Outside cornerback

Stats to know: Allowed a passer rating of only 41.2 in two full seasons

What he does best:

• Has the size to press at the line of scrimmage. Ideal for a press-man scheme, length facilitates effective jams at the line of scrimmage.
  • Moves well for his size, allowing him to play multiple coverages.
  • Strong in man coverage, possesses incredible instincts and change-of-direction skills.
  • Scheme diverse: instincts and aggression make him a viable zone corner and he closes well on the ball in “off” coverage, particularly for his size.
  • Physical, willing to attack the LOS on run plays/screens, missed only 12 of 114 tackle attempts over last two seasons.
  • Reliable, gave up only one catch of 30-plus yards in 2016 and only one touchdown.
  • Can play either side, lining up on both perimeters extensively.
Biggest concern:

• Too physical at times, particularly at the top of routes. Had seven coverage penalties in 2016, and won’t get away with as much as he did in college in the NFL.
  • Lets WRs get on him in off coverage, has him playing catch-up far too often.
  • Really should have had more than four interceptions in 2016. Dropped another two that were fairly easy grabs.
  • Will lose the ball late down the field, loses subtle hand fight.
  • Tries to play through WRs hands, but not always successful, needs to time it better.
Player comparison: Trumaine Johnson, Los Angeles Rams
https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-cordrea-tankersley-cb-clemson/

STRENGTHS
Angular build with good length. Looks to harass and smother receiver for as long as he can. Runs with access to a second gear when needed. Two-year starter with experience in a variety of coverages. Disruptive at the catch point using full arm extension to maximize his length. Ball production was very good; had eight interceptions in just two years as a starter. Shut down Virginia Tech's Bucky Hodges in conference championship game, holding him to one catch and grabbing two interceptions. Soft hands will pluck it out of the air if he gets into position. Gets desired depth in Cover-2 responsibilities, balancing between high and low. Comes to balance and squares up as a tackler. Looks to tackle low and springs into ball carriers with aggressive shoulder aimed at their thighs.
WEAKNESSES
Anticipation and instincts slightly below average. Eyes are unsure and can be slow to process and react. Lacks bend in his backpedal and bail techniques. Struggles to sink and redirect quickly for transitions forward against comeback routes. Allows too much route separation from off coverage and will need to squeeze tighter on next level. Balance concerns in coverage. Feet and hips can be clunky when it's time to open and run out of press shuffle. Will panic when he gets behind on vertical routes and starts to grab. Had eight pass-interference calls against him in two season. Inconsistent in finding the ball when back is to the quarterback. Needs to add more muscle to frame.
NFL COMPARISON
Dre Kirkpatrick
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/cordrea-tankersley?id=2557931

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/cordrea-tankersley-vs-virginia-tech-2016/

You too....

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I brought him up a little while, but understandably was dismissed as being a homer. If Dallas wants him and stays with their current picks, I think they would be lucky to get him at 60. In a less deep CB draft, he's easily a late first rounder.

Silverstar

Reaction score
I brought him up a little while, but understandably was dismissed as being a homer. If Dallas wants him and stays with their current picks, I think they would be lucky to get him at 60. In a less deep CB draft, he's easily a late first rounder.

I always liked him in the 2nd round, but never considered him at 28.

Since Jones and Moreau got hurt his stock keeps rising though.

I'd say 35 to 45 is good value for Tankersley and I think past 60 he's BPA on most boards.

Last edited: