Cordy Glenn and Whitney Mercilus?

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Do you guys think it's possible to trade down, draft Cordy Glenn let's say in the early 20s, and then trade back up and select Mercilus in the late 1st?

These two guys would fill gigantic holes on the team. I love DeCastro but:

DeCastro and a 2nd round pass rusher like Branch/Curry <<<<< Glenn and Mercilus

I know this is draft related and sorry if it has to be moved.

TheSport78

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;4454313 said:
Depends on our draft board but i really do not like trading out of the top 20.

Nah, we wouldn't be trading out of the top 20. We would trade back from 14 to say, somewhere between 20-23, select Cordy Glenn at that spot, and then take the extra ammo to move back up into the late 1st and get Mercilus.

Just a thought since this is such a weak pass rushing class.

Nation

Reaction score
Last year it took the Saints a future first round pick to move up from #56 overall to #28. I don't think the 45th pick and whatever we'd get for trading down into the early 20's would be enough to move back into the 1st round.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
TheSport78;4454326 said:
Nah, we wouldn't be trading out of the top 20. We would trade back from 14 to say, somewhere between 20-23, select Cordy Glenn at that spot, and then take the extra ammo to move back up into the late 1st and get Mercilus.

Just a thought since this is such a weak pass rushing class.

in terms of pass rush, i hope that we sign some help along the dline.

From my couchscouting standpoint, I would only do that if DeCastro or Cox was not available. Trading down for a Glenn or Still just doesn't sit well with me. i just see a huge difference in the risk department.

I will not give Glenn the looks like Tarzan plays like Jane moniker but he did not even live up to his preseason expectations in the SEC. He struggled out on the edge a bit and it clouds his predictions.

And Decastro killed him in agility drills. Just a much, much safer prospect in my view. If the Cowboys rate them close then so be it but thats what i think.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I really think the trade down scenario is a good one for us because the talent at #14 isn't great and likely won't be much better than what is available in the mid-20s.

The other thing that makes me want to trade down is this year's second round seems to be unusually deep.

I think we could draft 3 starters in a trade down scenario at positions of need. I can easily see us getting a very good player in the early 20s (Mercilus or Zeitler) and then getting another couple in the 2nd round (Silatolu, McClellin, Bruce Irvin, Osmele, Minnifield, Heyward, Hosley, Harrison Smith, Mark Barron).

This team has stars - Ware, Romo, Austin, Dez, Felix, Murray, Tyron Smith, Mike Jenkins, Sean Lee. What we really need are no more black hole type positions in the starting roster.

TheSport78

Reaction score
Eskimo;4454528 said:
I really think the trade down scenario is a good one for us because the talent at #14 isn't great and likely won't be much better than what is available in the mid-20s.

The other thing that makes me want to trade down is this year's second round seems to be unusually deep.

I think we could draft 3 starters in a trade down scenario at positions of need. I can easily see us getting a very good player in the early 20s (Mercilus or Zeitler) and then getting another couple in the 2nd round (Silatolu, McClellin, Bruce Irvin, Osmele, Minnifield, Heyward, Hosley, Harrison Smith, Mark Barron).

This team has stars - Ware, Romo, Austin, Dez, Felix, Murray, Tyron Smith, Mike Jenkins, Sean Lee. What we really need are no more black hole type positions in the starting roster.

I'm with you. There doesn't seem to be a huge discrepancy in talent between the mid 1st and 2nd round. If Dallas loves DeCastro, by all means they should take him, but if he isn't on the board or they just don't like the player for some reason, we could add a couple of great players in a trade down scenario...

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Once all the pro days are done, watch certain guys climb and we won't want to move down.

Arizona was our biggest threat to scoop DeCastro up. They just let go of their left tackle they drafted 5th overall, Levi Brown for cap reasons.

They're going to be looking for a LT now an theres 3-4 that are rated well enough to go top 15 in this draft.

It's very likely DeCastro will be at #14 unless someone like Philly pops in before us, but why when this o-line class is so deep?

We will get the quality and vale this year just picking before pick 15 down.

That's why the Cowboys are talking BPA approach in this draft. They know there's a good chance a stud slides out of the top 10 and that the late flyers moving up the board will end up around our pick.

burmafrd

Reaction score
overseas;4454647 said:
I don't want either guy - esp Mersilus

I really doubt the Boys have interest in Glenn- unless they are looking for a right tackle

DBOY3141

Reaction score
burmafrd;4454967 said:
I really doubt the Boys have interest in Glenn- unless they are looking for a right tackle

I thought after the senior bowl, that Glenn's best position is guard.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Glenn can play tackle but his best position is definetely guard.

Not that he is slow or anything but the less space you give him the better it is for him and the worse it is for his opponent.

burmafrd

Reaction score
CATCH17;4455075 said:

Not that he is slow or anything but the less space you give him the better it is for him and the worse it is for his opponent.

put him in a phonebooth and he will kill you. Really dead. BUT his agility numbers at the combine were not all that great. He might make a good RT.

TheSport78

Reaction score
I thought Glenn was being compared to a young Carl Nicks. I didn't think he was getting serious consideration at tackle?

Eskimo

Reaction score
CATCH17;4455075 said:

He doesn't have enough lateral quickness - he will be Leonard Davis II.

We are much better off with Silatolu, Osmele, Zeitler or Brandon Brooks.