Cornerback Demarcus Van Dyke says Cowboys have shown interest

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First up was cornerback Demarcus Van Dyke, a projected middle-round selection. Van Dyke earned an invite to January’s Senior Bowl, and has been mentioned as a candidate to run the fastest forty-yard dash in Indianapolis.

A humble Van Dyke wouldn’t get specific about projections, saying his goal is to “just run a fast time.” Van Dyke mentioned Fort Valley State receiver/returner Ricardo Lockette and Kentucky running back Derrick Locke as also in the mix to blaze the track in Indy. ”D.V.D.,” as he’s known, helped break the University of Miami record in the 4×100 sprint relay as a Canes track star.

Van Dyke had two pass breakups and four tackles in the Senior Bowl game. He said the Bills and Cowboys, especially, have shown interest in him.

Read the rest: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/23/hurricane-nfl-hopefuls-intend-to-impress-in-indy/

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I'm more interested in seeing what his height and weight is. Miami had him listed at 6'1" 190 several times this year but at a private camp 3 weeks ago it was said he was more like 6' and weighed in at 172. He weighed in at 188 at the Senior Bowl. He has to put on some weight.

I dont care if he a runs a 4.1, with that frame he's not going to last.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Late round prospect with speed. Wonder if the Cowboys really project him as a DB; he checked-in at 6' 168 lbs at the Senior Bowl.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Uh, what was it, 188 or 168 at the senior bowl? Sounds like another Alan Ball.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
TheCount;3855237 said:

typo on my part, it was supposed to be 168.

Aikbach

Reaction score
You can't have two Demarcus's, first two Roy Williams and now this:D

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Demarcus Van Dyke, DS #34 CB, Miami

Name: Demarcus Van Dyke
College: Miami Number: 8
Height: 6-1 Weight: 168
Position: CB Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2011
40 Time: 4.47 40 Low: 4.36 40 High: 4.57
Projected Round: 7-FA Stock:
Rated number 34 out of 220 CB's 324 / 2704 TOTAL

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=72230&draftyear=2011&genpos=CB

Draft Scout Snapshot: DS Rating on 9-1-10: #17 CB, #121/750 Overall, 5
2010: Played in 13 games, starting three ... Spent time at left cornerback and in the nickel package ... Had a season-high four solo stops at Clemson ... Had two tackles at Ohio State ... Tallied a single solo tackle against FAMU, Florida State, North Carolina and at Georgia Tech ... Posted 10 assisted stops on the season, including three at Duke ... Had one tackle for loss for two yards against North Carolina ... Forced and recovered a fumble at Clemson ... Picked off two passes on the season, including one at Pittsburgh that he returned for 74 yards ... Recorded five pass break-ups...2009: Played in 12 games and started eight at the cornerback position ... Recorded his first career interception with the `Canes trailing in the fourth quarter at Wake Forest ... Tallied four tackles in back-to-back weeks versus Clemson and at Wake Forest ... Set a career-high in total tackles (6) and solo stops (5) against Wisconsin in the Champs Sports Bowl ...2008: Played in all 13 games and made two starts (at NC State; vs. Cal) at right cornerback ... Recorded 16 tackles (11 solo, five assisted) and had a pass breakup ...2007: Started eight of 12 games at either left or right cornerback and tallied 14 tackles ... Started at right cornerback in his first collegiate game.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272299

Career Notes
A two-sport athlete at Miami, playing both football and running track … Played in 50 games from 2007-2010 … Started 21 contests … Tallied 80 tackles, including three for loss … Recorded 10 pass break-ups … Had three interceptions during his career.

2010 Season
Played in 13 games, starting three … Spent time at left cornerback and in the nickel package … Had a season-high four solo stops at Clemson … Had two tackles at Ohio State … Tallied a single solo tackle against FAMU, Florida State, North Carolina and at Georgia Tech … Posted 10 assisted stops on the season, including three at Duke … Had one tackle for loss for two yards against North Carolina … Forced and recovered a fumble at Clemson … Picked off two passes on the season, including one at Pittsburgh that he returned for 74 yards … Recorded five pass break-ups.

Height / Weight:6-1 / 168
Hometown:Miami, FL
School:Miami (Fla.)
College Experience:4

romo_19_55

Reaction score
TheCount;3855237 said:

At least he appears to have world class speed. I didn't SEE the blazing speed that Alan Ball was supposed to have in his wheels as a converted CB. Additionally, it appears that the Boys will use him as a CB and not as a FS.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
romo_19_55;3855516 said:
At least he appears to have world class speed. I didn't SEE the blazing speed that Alan Ball was supposed to have in his wheels as a converted CB. Additionally, it appears that the Boys will use him as a CB and not as a FS.

Alan Ball was never considered a blazer. He ran a 4.5+ coming out of Illinois.

Reaction score
He can be coached up into a pretty good player... If Sam Shields can be coached up, Van Dyke certainly can as well.