Cosby’s size, age might present a Quan-dary

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Cosby’s size, age might present a Quan-dary
By JIMMY BURCHjburch@star-telegram.comRelated Tags (BETA)

AUSTIN — Quan Cosby is a walking, talking, route-running set of conflicting numbers for NFL scouts.

That is why it will be fascinating to see where the former Texas receiver lands, or fails to land, when this year’s crop of incoming college talent is selected during the NFL Draft, April 25-26 in New York.

Cosby, 26, projects as one of the oldest candidates currently listed on NFL draft boards. Heck, he’s probably the oldest. Scouts also measured him at 5-foot-9 during Texas’ recent pro day session, two inches shorter than his listing in the Longhorns’ 2008 media guide.

Rest assured, neither of those numbers — Cosby’s age or height — will resonate happily with NFL general managers.

But these numbers will: Cosby, a former minor league baseball player, led the Longhorns in catches (92) and receiving yards (1,123) last season while grabbing 10 touchdown passes. He finished with 212 career receptions, second only to Dallas Cowboys receiver Roy Williams (241) in Longhorns history.

Cosby, a husband and father of two, realizes he will not be positioned to command the type of signing bonus he received in 2001 from the Los Angeles Angels ($825,000), his employer for four years before entering college in 2005.

But he’s confident he’ll hear his name called during the second day of the draft (rounds 3-7), making Cosby an athletic rarity: a two-sport draftee who embarks on two separate, professional careers.

The prevailing thought has Cosby being selected in the fifth round, or soon thereafter. Not every scout concurs, but Cosby has triggered lots of curiosity-seekers.

He had a private workout March 27 with the Denver Broncos. He’s talked to several other teams, on the phone and during workouts at the Senior Bowl, NFL combine and Texas’ pro day in Austin.

A wily veteran, Cosby understands the age-old question he faces when it comes to his NFL future. And he’s happy to turn it around on those who consider 26 too old for an NFL rookie.

"The reality of the thing is, most guys that come into the league ... don’t peak until they’re 24 or 25, anyway," Cosby said. "So I’m going to go in rolling."

No less an authority than Gil Brandt, the former Cowboys’ player personnel director, buys Cosby’s logic. Brandt, now a personnel analyst for NFL.com, visited with Cosby during the Longhorns’ pro day. Not only did Brandt like Cosby’s quickness and strength (16 bench press repetitions at 225 pounds), he liked his intangibles.

"He’s a lot stronger than you think he is, and he plays bigger than 5-foot-9," Brandt said. "He’s really smart. ... He understands coverage, which is really great. Most receivers coming out of college don’t have any idea about coverages."

Asked if he would consider Cosby’s age a detriment on draft day, Brandt said, "Personally, I don’t think so."

But there is still the matter of height, a viable concern in a league loaded with receivers tall enough to play power forward in the NBA. Cosby, by comparison, would be an undersized point guard. That raises a red flag for C.O. Brocato, head scout for the Tennessee Titans.

Asked about Cosby’s NFL chances, Brocato said, "He’s all right. It’s hard to say. ... The height (of NFL cornerbacks) today is hurting these little receivers."

Cosby plans to squelch those concerns by stressing his work ethic, character and desire to every scout who will listen. He flashed plenty of those attributes during his college career and saved his best game for last: a 14-catch, 171-yard, two-touchdown performance in Texas’ 24-21 victory over Ohio State in the 2009 Fiesta Bowl.

Cosby’s game-winning, 26-yard reception with 16 seconds remaining provided the final piece of footage for scouts to ponder as they assess his NFL merits. At his stage, Cosby is not concerned when his name is called on draft day. He simply wants it to happen, just like it did eight years ago with the Angels.

"All you can do is put yourself in a position to go, and I think I’ve done that," Cosby said. "One thing I pride myself on is that, no matter what goes on during the play, I’ll find a way to catch the ball when it’s thrown."

It has not escaped Cosby’s attention that, during the off-season, a pair of tall, talented Pro Bowlers from yesteryear — Terrell Owens and Plaxico Burress — have been released by teams with Super Bowl aspirations. Cosby did not mention either player by name, but played up his primary intangible when asked what he hoped would separate himself from peers in the mind of NFL scouts.

"Character is one of the huge ones," Cosby said. "They know I’m going to be there on time, ready to work. And then, the little things. Being in the right spot. Watching film. Doing a lot of the maturity things that some guys will develop but may not have right now."

Cosby, at 26, has it today. Expect that to be the intangible that makes him a rare, two-sport draftee later this month.

Jimmy Burch, 817-390-7760