Cosell Mock + Barron Evaluation

JBS

Reaction score
****THIS IS A FILM BASED MOCK****

Dallas: The pick here is Alabama safety Mark Barron. Barron is easily the best safety in this draft class. His tape showed a complete and multi-dimensional skill set, perhaps the most impressive attribute being his man-to-man coverage ability versus tight ends. He also played man-to-man against the inside slot receiver in 3×1 sets. The larger point is that Barron can play man coverage, and that has become increasingly important for safeties in today’s NFL. Overall Barron offers tremendous scheme and position versatility. Safety has still not reached premium status in terms of NFL draft value, but I would argue that Barron is one of the 5 to 7 best players in this draft.

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/cosell-talks-mock-draft/

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4519723 said:
****THIS IS A FILM BASED MOCK****

Dallas: The pick here is Alabama safety Mark Barron. Barron is easily the best safety in this draft class. His tape showed a complete and multi-dimensional skill set, perhaps the most impressive attribute being his man-to-man coverage ability versus tight ends. He also played man-to-man against the inside slot receiver in 3×1 sets. The larger point is that Barron can play man coverage, and that has become increasingly important for safeties in today’s NFL. Overall Barron offers tremendous scheme and position versatility. Safety has still not reached premium status in terms of NFL draft value, but I would argue that Barron is one of the 5 to 7 best players in this draft.

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/cosell-talks-mock-draft/

I agree with his findings but not his mock and the more I hear about Barron the more I want the guy and believe the extra 3rd it may cost the Cowboys is well worth it

visionary

Reaction score
Zaxor;4519765 said:
I agree with his findings but not his mock and the more I hear about Barron the more I want the guy and believe the extra 3rd it may cost the Cowboys is well worth it

zaxor, that sounds nice until you realize that there is a lot of value in rd 3 this year

that rd 3 pck could be

irvin (nickel rusher at OLB)
blake (starting OC)
Broyles (starting slot receiver ST stud)

etc

so no, i would not trade up for anyone in this draft

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
visionary;4519898 said:
zaxor, that sounds nice until you realize that there is a lot of value in rd 3 this year

that rd 3 pck could be

blake (starting OC)

etc

listen I hear ya man...and it is not that it doesn't make sense what you are saying but I believe if you really have to have one of those guys trade a 4th and a 6th and move up ...be aggressive (within reason of course) but pick the targets you want to hit and try and get them...especially in a draft like this were talent is so equal in lots of spots..

if Dallas walks out of this draft with 3 or 4 players they truly believe will make a difference that to me is a great draft than taking a boat load of "we think maybe's "

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Okay,that carries some weight with me. Cosell is pretty good and really studies his stuff.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4520002 said:
Okay,that carries some weight with me. Cosell is pretty good and really studies his stuff.

but you will have to move up to get him I believe CL you willing to give up your 3rd rnder for him

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Zaxor;4520023 said:
but you will have to move up to get him I believe CL you willing to give up your 3rd rnder for him

Eh, I wouldn't do that. We can't afford to be giving away third rounders.

Woods

Reaction score
visionary;4519898 said:

that rd 3 pck could be

blake (starting OC)

etc

not to mention guys like Hayward and Flemming at CB.

There are some good players in the 3rd this year.

Woods

Reaction score
Zaxor;4520023 said:

I really hope we draft Barron. I've been on his bandwagon for awhile now.

However, I also refuse to believe that we can't get a really good talent at 14.

I mean, we're talking about the 14th best college football player in America who is draft eligible.

There HAS to be someone there who can help a team with the amount of needs as the Cowboys.

visionary

Reaction score
Woods;4520051 said:
not to mention guys like Hayward and Flemming at CB.

There are some good players in the 3rd this year.

exactly
i want to somehow get another rd 3 pick becasue of all the talent that is there not give away the one we do have

Woods

Reaction score
visionary;4520060 said:
exactly
i want to somehow get another rd 3 pick becasue of all the talent that is there not give away the one we do have

yhea, i feel the same way.

If Cox, Barron, or DeCastro are gone, I wouldn't mind trading back a few spots to pick up an extra 3rd rounder.

I can easily think of 10 guys who could be available in Round 3 who could help our team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
the only issue i have is the part where he talks about him covering safeties....

alabama didn't play stanford and i don't think any of the other guys will get a starting gig in the nfl. the fact you can cover non-nfl type TEs just doesnt impress me from a safety.

rw31 could cover average college te's at ou.

i would have liked a little more detail from film studies about the best players he covered.

i love barron's mental game and leadership. i think he is tough and smart... but coverage is my question mark and no one has answered it imho.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Very interesting. Coples is nowhere to be found.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
visionary;4520060 said:
exactly

Coakley for a 3rd? Id do it ;)

In regards to trading up, I'm of the mind set in quality over quantity. Trade up and get the players you want. So what if they don't have 8 picks at the end of the draft.

If you can get 4 quality players that you have graded out, do it. We have all seen the stockpile drafts of the past.....

btcutter

Reaction score
Don't fall in love with any one player unless you are just one player away from a SB type team.

Follow your board and draft accordingly. You will better your team that way.

nathanlt

Reaction score
I find it funny that Morris Claiborne is the 3rd corner drafted in that scenario. He is, by nearly every account, the #1 corner.

If it really turns out that way, to say I'd be surprised is a BIG understatement.

I figure that more teams will follow the trends and let corners with more questions be taken later in round 1.

robert70x7

Reaction score
nathanlt;4521083 said:
I find it funny that Morris Claiborne is the 3rd corner drafted in that scenario. He is, by nearly every account, the #1 corner.

If it really turns out that way, to say I'd be surprised is a BIG understatement.

I figure that more teams will follow the trends and let corners with more questions be taken later in round 1.

It's not how he thinks it'll turn out. If you would've read the description, he clearly states what the purpose was.

Here's how I am doing it: I will choose players based on my film study and my sense of team needs. I have no idea what different teams' draft boards look like, nor will I try to speculate what a team might be thinking. The main objective of my mock is to further discuss the top players by putting them in a draft format.

One other caveat: I am disregarding documented off-field problems, character issues and anything else that is not a function of on-field play. I understand that teams significantly factor that into the equation, but I am solely basing my player evaluations on the tape. That's what I do. I watch tape.

Players that have been linked to the 1st round not in his mock
  • Quinton Coples
  • Melvin Ingram
  • Dontari Poe
  • Nick Perry
  • Jonathan Martin
  • Jerel Worthy
  • Stephen Hill
  • Devon Still

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
robert70x7;4521114 said:
It's not how he thinks it'll turn out. If you would've read the description, he clearly states what the purpose was.

Here's how I am doing it: I will choose players based on my film study and my sense of team needs. I have no idea what different teams' draft boards look like, nor will I try to speculate what a team might be thinking. The main objective of my mock is to further discuss the top players by putting them in a draft format.

One other caveat: I am disregarding documented off-field problems, character issues and anything else that is not a function of on-field play. I understand that teams significantly factor that into the equation, but I am solely basing my player evaluations on the tape. That's what I do. I watch tape.

Players that have been linked to the 1st round not in his mock
  • Quinton Coples
  • Melvin Ingram
  • Dontari Poe
  • Nick Perry
  • Jonathan Martin
  • Jerel Worthy
  • Stephen Hill
  • Devon Still

I think you too could make a point about those players not making the 1st rnd though they may turn out to be good heck maybe even great players but there are some pretty significant questions marks by these guys