Couch Released

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
I'd rather have Couch than Romo.
I almost got crucified speculating about this about a week or so ago. I really don't think there's going to be a line of teams to claim Romo, a qb who's never thrown a regular season pass, if he were waived. And if he were claimed, I'm over it.

p1_

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Couch could not handle the pressure of CLEVELAND, then he completely folds in the shadow of Favre. Bring him into Dallas with the ghosts of Staubach and Aikman over his head with two young QBs behind him and it would look like a scene from Scanners...KABOOM!

So, you subscribe to one of 2 philosiphies:

either

a) Should Vinnie get hurt, the season ceases to count for anything post-season, therefore playing either current backup is fine and dandy, or

b) Crouch is no better than either Henson or Romo.

Which one is it?

For me, it boils down to this question: Is Crouch more capable than Romo? We all know Henson stays on the active 53, so Romo is the question mark. That might be a coin toss, but Crouch has the edge in experience.

Romo knows the system better than anyone else, so to Bill, perhaps that gives Romo an instant edge. It's a tough call. But one that needs to be considered carefully if we think playoffs is possible.

And I certainly do.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I've had the chance to follow Couch since I live in Green Bay. Something is not right with his arm. They kept calling it a "tired arm" up here. What is "tired arm"? A young quarterback should not have a tired arm, especially in the pre-season. He was cut because it got to the point where he couldn't practice. RED FLAG RED FLAG Cowboys are best to stay away from this guy.

CapnComeback

Reaction score
Nors said:
One green QB in Henson and a very experienced younger player in Romo a year plugged in. I'm ok with QB. Don't want Couch in here.

Tony Romo has thrown as many passes in a game that matter as Drew Henson has. They are both equally Green. If Testaverde goes down, excuse me, when Testaverde goes down, our season is over if we don't have a veteran backup.

CapnComeback

Reaction score
p1_ said:

either

a) Should Vinnie get hurt, the season ceases to count for anything post-season, therefore playing either current backup is fine and dandy, or

Which one is it?

For me, it boils down to this question: Is Crouch more capable than Romo? We all know Henson stays on the active 53, so Romo is the question mark. That might be a coin toss, but Crouch has the edge in experience.

Romo knows the system better than anyone else, so to Bill, perhaps that gives Romo an instant edge. It's a tough call. But one that needs to be considered carefully if we think playoffs is possible.

And I certainly do.

Couch has also taken the Browns to the playoffs before as well. Keep in mind that Cleveland has had an anemic running game since their return to the NFL and spotty receiver play. In Green Bay Couch was thrown into the mix and had to learn the WCO on the fly. I don't feel great about Couch but I feel alot better about him than Romo...he's a jackass.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
HowAboutThemCowboys said:
I've had the chance to follow Couch since I live in Green Bay. Something is not right with his arm. They kept calling it a "tired arm" up here. What is "tired arm"? A young quarterback should not have a tired arm, especially in the pre-season. He was cut because it got to the point where he couldn't practice. RED FLAG RED FLAG Cowboys are best to stay away from this guy.

This is the only post in this thread i agree with. Have any of you guys actually watched Couch? He looks horrible. Cowboys had a chance to get Couch in the offseason and Jerry said they were not interested. I'm thankful Jerry and Bill are in control instead of some of you.

Also, Law won't be a Cowboy this season despite the 2000 threads saying he will be.

blindzebra

Reaction score
p1_ said:

either

Which one is it?

And I certainly do.

I look at it like this, Couch is a bust. Does he have more experience sure, has he shown he can take a team to the playoffs, no.

If vinny goes down in a game, Romo's extra year gives him the edges in a short term situation. If Vinny goes down for several games TALENT wins out and the Henson era begins. Does that mean the season is over? It depends on how our running game does and if our defense can duplicate last season.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
talk about blowing your 2nd chance. I can't believe that he couldn't get his act together enough to stay put.

So, Akili Smith and Couch are without jobs. Who else from the class of 99 at QB has tanked? McNabb is a good fantasy player and bad clutch player. Culpepper is pretty good. Ummmm, who am I missing from 99?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Foxsports.com is reporting that the Colts who have only 2 QBs might be interested in Couch and actually tried to trade for him with Green Bay.

laythewood28

Reaction score
I say bring him in and let romo go. We need someone who has actually thrown a NFL pass to be our backup.

Skeptic

Reaction score
Madzo said:
so your're comfortable witha 40 yr old QB and 2 very green QB's?
Pretty much.

With the rollouts and the fact that we need to figure out who the future is, not to mention the fact that we have 2 1sts next year I'm pretty much willing to stay pat.

If Vinny goes down, we find out about Romo and Henson. If he doesn't, we find out what Vinny brings to the table and factor that into next year.

crazylegs

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Couch could not handle the pressure of CLEVELAND, then he completely folds in the shadow of Favre. Bring him into Dallas with the ghosts of Staubach and Aikman over his head with two young QBs behind him and it would look like a scene from Scanners...KABOOM!

"Bring him into Dallas with the ghosts of Staubach and Aikman"

You must be kidding? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: