Could Buckner play RDE

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I like this kids tape . I think he's better than Bosa . I know he's not really a fit in our scheme but where do you think his best position would be ? Could he play RDE on run downs and move inside in the nickle ?

Just throwing out a scenario . We sign Ware to a 2 year 12 million dollar deal. We draft Bucker @ 4. And , we re-sign Jack Crawford.

DE's:
Lawrence
Buckner
Ware
Crawford
Russell/Gregory

Would that be enough if we take a good 1tech in the 2nd/3rd rounds? Say we take Vernon Butler.

DT's:
Crawford
Butler
Irving
McClain
Hayden

Nickle/Dime could work with:

Lawrence/Crawford/Buckner/Ware

RoboQB

Reaction score
Ware isn't leaving Denver... that defense can put them right back in the Super Bowl again.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Buckner has the speed/quick twitch to be a big-time pass rusher as a 4-3 DE.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
DeForest Buckner can play anywhere along the DL he wants to play.

The #1 Rated Defensive Lineman on my Pre-Combine Board over Bosa from the get go. Not only for his higher ceiling but also for the versatility he encompasses from day1. However he is a turtle out there not a hair, his get off is slow though he makes up for it with superior size, reach and strength, he's got some good lean for a big man, real football instincts which translate into fast precise angles in a small space.

The Combine will be interesting for these two.

Last edited:

RS12

Reaction score
I dont see them drafting Buckner or Ware returning.

tm1119

Reaction score
Could he? Of course. Is he a top 5 pick as a 4-3 end? I don't believe so. Wont bring enough as a pass rusher. Top 5 DE needs to have 15+ sack potential in my opinion and that won't be Buckner.

He belongs in a 3-4 as a 5 tech. Could be a Calias Campbell clone if he reaches his ceiling.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
DeForest Buckner can play anywhere along the DL he wants to play.

The #1 Rated Defensive Lineman on my Pre-Combine Board over Bosa from the get go. Not only for his higher ceiling but also for the versatility he encompasses from day1. However he is a turtle out there not a hair, his get off is slow though he makes up for it with superior size, reach and strength, he's got some good lean for a big man, real football instincts which translate into fast precise angles in a small space.

The Combine will be interesting for these two.

Bosa can play three DL positions from day one. Same as Buckner. Their versatility is a wash.

Buckner has a higher ceiling, but he's got a much lower floor as well. He has tremendous length, obviously, but plays way too high and because of it gets washed out of plays easily. He regularly gets manhandled one-on-one, something you'll almost never see from Bosa. His strength doesn't match his size which bothers me. He has considerable question marks in regards to his motor.

Buckner is the ultimate boom or bust prospect in this draft. He could be the next Jevon Kearse, or be out of the league in a few years. Honestly, it's completely up to him. Staying in school another year says a lot about his mindset off the field. He still needs to interview well though.

egn22

Reaction score
I prefer Bosa or Spence if we were gonna go that route

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I prefer Bosa or Spence if we were gonna go that route

I truly believe Spence winds up being the first DE off the board when all is said and done.

Too many questions about Bosa's explosiveness and Buckner's motor and play height.