Could our entire OL be up for grabs?

vlad

Reaction score
Of the relatively few posts I post on here, most of them dating back to the prior season have been about our OL and how awful it is. How you need to build a team inside-out rather than outside-in. I think Philly is a good example of what a quality OL can do. Remember when Shane Andrews was available in the draft to us, but we said he wasn't of value? Same with Marcus Mcneil?

But I was thinking about it, our two best performers on the line this year are unrestricted FAs I believe in Guruode and Colombo. Those are the only two that I would have said deserve to be penciled in as clear #1s next year.

Flozell, Kozier, and River can all be upgraded. Now I don't think Kozier is bad, and he could work, but we need to decide on an OL philosphy, whether we maul people our do a quick/pulling/zone blocking scheme.

Flozell maybe just needs another offseason to fully recover, but Rivera has got to go.

So in thinking about it, given the contract status and performance of our OL, it seems in a way that none of those positions are settled. Because with Andre, somebody might offer him an insane contract. Colombo I think we have a better hold on.

So now think about having Flo, Kozier, Al Johnson, Rivera, and god knows who at RT.

Jerry, for the love, please make OL priority #1. Why?
1) Julius needs holes. Marion needs holes. They need blockers on the 2nd level.
2) Tony needs to be able to step into throws, hard to do when the line is stomping on his toes.
3) Tony can fulfill his potential and run out of the pocket by design and on an as needed basis. As opposed to it being his only option today.
The defense needs to rest. The more rested they are, the better they are, and the more frustrated the opposing offense is.
4) I'm sick of watching us year after year get exposed. I'm amazed every D-coordinator doesn't attack our line.

The only positive I can take is if we had had a good line, Bledsoe would probably still be our starter, and I'm ready for Romo.

my 2 cents.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone's down on Kosier, he was good this year

although he's light, gets pushed back some

I think all we need to do is find a RG, and hopefully McQ in the future, proves to be the LT, he's certaintly, big, mobile, and talented enough

vlad

Reaction score
Yeah, Kozier is the one lineman that gets to 2nd level blocks.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I think we need a dominate Center first of all. Thats' where it all starts.

Kosier is good, but I wouldn't mind an upgrade. Flo is Flo. He's good for one False Start a game but still solid. Columbo...eh, not sure yet, but better than Petitti. Rivera is teh real hole. And being next to Gurode, I think that hurts Dallas' ability to run up the gut

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think all the OL jobs should be open for competition and may the better man win. This is an area of the team that has to improve if we are to compete for a championship

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Move Flozell to Rivera's spot. He is still probowl type player if he was on the inside as his Achilles’ heel seems to be the speed rush off the end. Moving him to guard should resolve that. Problem is, you need a tackle to replace him. Joe Thomas sounds like a perfect fit. :) Question is, how to you get up to the #3 or #4 spot.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
The OL is what I noticed in the NE/Jets game this weekend. Brady had all the time in the world to throw and they said that NE came up with a scheme to handle the blitz packages that the jets ran so effectively in their last meeting.

It's funny how good coaches can get little known players to perform.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;1302841 said:
Move Flozell to Rivera's spot. He is still probowl type player if he was on the inside as his Achilles’ heel seems to be the speed rush off the end. Moving him to guard should resolve that. Problem is, you need a tackle to replace him. Joe Thomas sounds like a perfect fit. :) Question is, how to you get up to the #3 or #4 spot.

I agree. Flo earned all rookie honors playing the gaurd position when he took over for McIver in the 98 season. With the problems he has been having with speed rushers it may be a good ideal to have him finish out his career at the guard spot.

StarAmongStars

Reaction score
vlad;1302575 said:
Of the relatively few posts I post on here, most of them dating back to the prior season have been about our OL and how awful it is. How you need to build a team inside-out rather than outside-in. I think Philly is a good example of what a quality OL can do. Remember when Shane Andrews was available in the draft to us, but we said he wasn't of value? Same with Marcus Mcneil?

But I was thinking about it, our two best performers on the line this year are unrestricted FAs I believe in Guruode and Colombo. Those are the only two that I would have said deserve to be penciled in as clear #1s next year.

Flozell, Kozier, and River can all be upgraded. Now I don't think Kozier is bad, and he could work, but we need to decide on an OL philosphy, whether we maul people our do a quick/pulling/zone blocking scheme.

Flozell maybe just needs another offseason to fully recover, but Rivera has got to go.

So in thinking about it, given the contract status and performance of our OL, it seems in a way that none of those positions are settled. Because with Andre, somebody might offer him an insane contract. Colombo I think we have a better hold on.

So now think about having Flo, Kozier, Al Johnson, Rivera, and god knows who at RT.

2) Tony needs to be able to step into throws, hard to do when the line is stomping on his toes.
3) Tony can fulfill his potential and run out of the pocket by design and on an as needed basis. As opposed to it being his only option today.
The defense needs to rest. The more rested they are, the better they are, and the more frustrated the opposing offense is.
4) I'm sick of watching us year after year get exposed. I'm amazed every D-coordinator doesn't attack our line.

The only positive I can take is if we had had a good line, Bledsoe would probably still be our starter, and I'm ready for Romo.

my 2 cents.

The oline is PATHETIC....when a player that you didn't even expect to make the roster is your best player than you know you have serious issues.

vlad

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1302915 said:
I agree. Flo earned all rookie honors playing the gaurd position when he took over for McIver in the 98 season. With the problems he has been having with speed rushers it may be a good ideal to have him finish out his career at the guard spot.

You don't worry about him being too tall? Mainly for leverage, not for the throwing over issue. Most QBs throw through lanes, not over linemens' heads. I just figure an interior lineman is easier to replace than LT, plus I'm really hoping one more offseason to recover gets him in shape.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
vlad;1302575 said:

my 2 cents.

Shane Andrews was gone before our pick

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
The Eagles traded up ahead of us to get Shawn Andrews - I think there is a good chance we had him targeted. I know I wanted him - the guy is stout.

burmafrd

Reaction score
For the ONE MILLIONTH TIME after all the mess with Rogers there is no way we take a Tackle with a pre existing medical conditon; especially one involving the spine. McNeill could play 10 more years or 10 more games; there is no way to know. Its a gamble; bigger then usual for high picks.

Eddie

Reaction score
Tristan;1304960 said:
Fasano over Mcneil was and still is infuriating!

I screamed it a million times. But was shouted down because of this dream of an unstoppable 2-TE offense and the possibility that McNeil was damaged goods.

I'll continue to scream it. We blew the pick.

cnhnyy

Reaction score
burmafrd;1305060 said:
For the ONE MILLIONTH TIME after all the mess with Rogers there is no way we take a Tackle with a pre existing medical conditon; especially one involving the spine. McNeill could play 10 more years or 10 more games; there is no way to know. Its a gamble; bigger then usual for high picks.

It would have been a too big risk if we had taken in the first round. However, he was available when the second round came around. You need OL and you just can't simply let a top-15 pick slipped by you in the second round. The reward is far better than the risk.

As for Rogers, even if he had been healthy, Rogers would have been a reach at the second round.

McNeil is 10X better than Rogers was before/after injury.