Could RGIII steal the top pick in the draft away from Luck just as he did the Heisman

Aikbach

Reaction score
L-O-Jete;4475047 said:
Since he said QB... I guess it would only be Plunkett.

Reading is FUNdamental
He was taking a troll to task, you'll note the user is already banned and was a repeat offender who has been banned opening several accounts to attack posters and racially slur and troll on RG3 related threads.

Hos was just verifying the troll.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
L-O-Jete;4475047 said:
Since he said QB... I guess it would only be Plunkett.

Reading is FUNdamental
Good grief, how many of you need this explained?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;4475603 said:
Luck's pro day pretty much shut the people up

Have to agree. Seems like he knocked it out of the park and left some people covering it in awe.

And even though people know of his athletic ability I still think it is understated many times.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
Fantastic, and surprising article from Greg Cossell of NFL Films (who is also a must follow on twitter)

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/03/23/cosell-talks-its-not-always-luck/

When evaluating college players, and projecting them to the NFL, I often feel
as if I can never watch enough snaps, enough throws, enough games to reach a
conclusion with which I am comfortable. This is particularly true of
quarterbacks.

Which brings me to Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III. Before I began my film
study I had heard that Luck was the most NFL-ready quarterback to come out since
Peyton Manning in 1998. The son of a former college and NFL quarterback, an
Academic All-American and well-schooled in a pro-style offense at Stanford, Luck
was being called a day one NFL starter and a great player. In many ways, it was
pre-ordained.

Griffin’s rise appeared more meteoric. Although he started as a true freshman
in 2008, it really wasn’t until this past season that folks celebrated the
shining star that was RGIII. While Luck was always steady and constant, RGIII
was spectacular and breathtaking. Different players in different offenses asked
to do different things.

I have watched 5 games of both Luck and Griffin, all from their final
collegiate season. Is that enough? Some might say yes, others no. Here’s what I
saw. Luck ran a very controlled and condensed offense that featured multiple
tight end personnel and a high percentage of compressed formations. He had a lot
of freedom at the line of scrimmage to call plays and make adjustments based on
defensive fronts and coverages. That’s an essential attribute as he transitions
to the NFL, one that has dramatically increased in importance in the last number
of years with the complexity and sophistication of defenses. There’s no question
Luck is well ahead of the learning curve in that area.

Luck was an economical player who was at his best as a timing and rhythm,
short to intermediate passer. 3 and 5 step drops, quick throws. He primarily
made efficient throws to open receivers. The deeper throws were what we call
shot plays, primarily with play action, specifically designed to attack an
anticipated coverage based on field position, down and distance, personnel and
formation. On those plays, the receiver was wide open. They were not difficult
passes.

Click link for rest

joseephuss

Reaction score
Hostile;4474497 said:
And Eric Crouch played some QB at Nebraska...It is still a flawed logical stance to think Griffin cannot win a Super Bowl because he won the Heisman Trophy. Hopefully he never does win one, but I am not foolish enough to say it can't be done.

CaptainAmerica;4474791 said:
Only one Heisman winning QB and Hall of Famer in NFL history.

Let's keep it that way.

Maybe down the line in several years when the Skins don't win a Superbowl, Griffin could find himself in Dallas replacing or backing up Tony Romo and winning a Superbowl with Dallas.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
Hostile;4476050 said:
That was very well written. What is his Twitter call?

@gregcosell

He is one of the producers of "NFL Matchup" and has some very informative tweets about players, teams, position groups, etc. Great for an NFL junkie in general

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I have an issue when a couple of points he made. He describes the type of QB a players is by describing the style of offense he plays in.

For instance:

I would describe Luck as a short to intermediate touch and timing passer off straight drop backs, and a deep ball thrower off play action.

He is describing Luck as a pro style offense QB which is the style of offense Luck play's in. He seems to say that Luck cannot throw deep passes very well unless the WR is wide open. That's a bunch of ****! :laugh2:

He says the RGIII can. Yeah, he plays a spread offense with Kendall Wright. That is going to happen. It's the nature progression of the offense to have plays like that.

I look at Luck and he reminds me of Troy Aikman. The only difference is Aikman had a golden arm and Luck just has a very good arm.

I think both QB are awesome. I think RGIII will have the better career if he doesn't end up getting injured from running the ball. Now, that isn't because I think RGIII is better than Luck. It's because offensive lines are very important to Shanny. Peyton Manning had a great offensive line, but it seems the Colts have been neglecting it and that line is getting old fast.

If the Colts don't protect Luck, he will end up playing like David Carr did in Houston.

SkinsFan82

Reaction score
I'm not sure but it seemed when he was talking about Luck throwing to people deep that were wide open, it wasn't really a negative. What I inferred from that sentence is he had the ability to read the defense and the coverages pre-snap and was able to anticipate where the open WRs would be. Maybe he meant it another way, that's just how I took it.

I wouldn't begin to knock Peyton Manning's ability, but you'll hear a lot of people say that half of what makes him great is what he does pre-snap, his ability to read the defense and know where the pressure will be coming from and where to put his guys to make plays.

I think most people agree that RG3 is the better deep passer, are far as ability to drive a pass deep with really nice touch and accuracy. It's not that Luck can't, just isn't his strong suit.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I like RG3 a lot, but I would take Luck ahead of him because Luck is way more consistent. RG3 gets some high highs and some low lows. You take the OU game, he looks like a poor man's Quincy Carter until midway through the 2nd quarter, and then he catches fire. Luck isn't as prone to being as streaky.

Aikbach

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4476424 said:
I like RG3 a lot, but I would take Luck ahead of him because Luck is way more consistent. RG3 gets some high highs and some low lows. You take the OU game, he looks like a poor man's Quincy Carter until midway through the 2nd quarter, and then he catches fire. Luck isn't as prone to being as streaky.
I'll accept favoring Luck but the streaky comment I don't buy at all, Oklahoma has an outstanding defense Baylor wore out in the second half.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Aikbach;4476699 said:
I'll accept favoring Luck but the streaky comment I don't buy at all, Oklahoma has an outstanding defense Baylor wore out in the second half.

Dude, watch the tape. It had nothing to do with OU playing outstanding defense, it had to do with Griffin not being able to hit the broadside of a barn and just chucking up throws for grabs. To his credit he caught fire in the 2nd half and had an amazing performance in pulling out the win, but the first half was what it was.

Aikbach

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4476718 said:
Dude, watch the tape. It had nothing to do with OU playing outstanding defense, it had to do with Griffin not being able to hit the broadside of a barn and just chucking up throws for grabs. To his credit he caught fire in the 2nd half and had an amazing performance in pulling out the win, but the first half was what it was.
Dude, I've watched the tape, and i saw the number five team in the country give up the most yards in school history.

OU was a national champion contender until that game, with what had been considered one of the best defenses in the nation, the fact anyone had to make adjustments is called game planning.

And pointing to one game in a brilliant career against a top five team does not an argument for "streaky" make.

joseephuss

Reaction score
RGIII against OU this year:

1st quarter
5-9
55.5%

2nd quarter
3-4
75.0%

First Half
8-13
61.5%

3rd quarter
8-14
57.1%

4th quarter
5-7
71.4%

Second Half
13-21
61.9%

Looks like he was up and down by quarter.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Don't think there's any way the Colts don't take Luck, but interesting that Merril Hoge apparently watched 100 hours of tape and said he'd take Griffin pretty easily.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4477518 said:
Don't think there's any way the Colts don't take Luck, but interesting that Merril Hoge apparently watched 100 hours of tape and said he'd take Griffin pretty easily.

From what I have read most QBs and QB coaches are more impressed with Luck since he really is Pro Style.

Aikbach

Reaction score
burmafrd;4477573 said:
From what I have read most QBs and QB coaches are more impressed with Luck since he really is Pro Style.
It's a rare can't miss scenario, it's like Elway and Marino being in the same draft in 1983....except this time one isn't falling.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I missed that Cosell link earlier somehow... But having just read it, I'm so glad someone is saying what I was saying all year, that Luck doesn't seem to have the premier arm strength that most of the other top-top prospects have. (Sams thing Phil Simms got killed for saying, BTW.) He also was able to lean very heavily on a running game and partly because of that, he got to throw to wide open guys a lot. Not saying he won't be very, very good, but I don't see the Elway or even Aikman kind of raw talent that the so-called best QB in a generation should have.

Almost makes me long for Realtick so I can hear how Luck is vastly superior and RG3 will barely be a first rounder because he only threw bubble screens... Nah.