Could the Cowboys do better with doing less?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Look at our off season, we didn't sign any free agents that shocked us, our draft was pretty good. We don't even go into the bottom barrel, we pick from the UFL. With that said, with losing players this off season in free agency, and being in a possible small rebuild, could this team surprise us and exceed expectations? Expectations with all that hasn't happen this summer are at an all time low. Wouldn't it be something if the Cowboys advance further in the playoffs without being as active in the off-season? Please give your thoughts.

If this Coog thought ever happened, how would this front office respond in future off seasons?????

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this Coog thought ever happened, how would this front office respond in future off seasons?????
This *hardline* approach is Jerry Jones believing doing less will make the team perform better, with team being both players and coaches. There is an inherent danger of success resulting from this so-called all-in strategy.

Jones is a substandard GM. So the question is what he would do in the future if his current stance pays off? My guess would be that he would try duplicating the strategy.

The underlying issue is doing something, in response to what seems like the right thing to do, has been one of Jones' main problem as GM. His management oversight changes with the wind, usually blown by other teams. It is not governed by in-depth action/reaction through focused, near- and far-ranging planning.

In simple terms, Jones latches onto what seems to work best. He steers his front office into adopting that particular strategy until it nets him substandard results. Then he latches onto the next best thing that works best. This cycle has never stopped for three decades.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wouldn't it be something if the Cowboys advance further in the playoffs without being as active in the off-season?
This off season won't be the deciding thing how on far we advance in the playoffs.

We all know what that is.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Look at our off season, we didn't sign any free agents that shocked us, our draft was pretty good. We don't even go into the bottom barrel, we pick from the UFL. With that said, with losing players this off season in free agency, and being in a possible small rebuild, could this team surprise us and exceed expectations? Expectations with all that hasn't happen this summer are at an all time low. Wouldn't it be something if the Cowboys advance further in the playoffs without being as active in the off-season? Please give your thoughts.

The team could, but the problem with doing less is you're relying on multiple unknowns to go right.

Will the running game go right relying on a possibly washed-up player and several who've been backups at best?

Will the passing game go right with a rookie converting to left tackle starting and a center who was waived and unwanted by other teams starting (or a rookie guard converting to center)?

Will the defensive line be better against the run with a player who played a like a first-round bust last year starting at nose tackle?

Will the pass rush be better with a rookie second-round pick starting our of necessity?

Will the candidates for third receiver even be as good as Michael Gallup was?

So many players will be getting snaps out of necessity because of what we didn't do. Expecting all of that to turn out in our favor is probably expecting too much. And when it comes to the playoffs and advancing to the Super Bowl, it's those weakest links that often make the difference in a team game.

Flinger

Reaction score
This *hardline* approach is Jerry Jones believing doing less will make the team perform better, with team being both players and coaches. There is an inherent danger of success resulting from this so-called all-in strategy.

Jones is a substandard GM. So the question is what he would do in the future if his current stance pays off? My guess would be that he would try duplicating the strategy.

The underlying issue is doing something, in response to what seems like the right thing to do, has been one of Jones' main problem as GM. His management oversight changes with the wind, usually blown by other teams. It is not governed by in-depth action/reaction through focused, near- and far-ranging planning.

In simple terms, Jones latches onto what seems to work best. He steers his front office into adopting that particular strategy until it nets him substandard results. Then he latches onto the next best thing that works best. This cycle has never stopped for three decades.
From the outset, Jerry has attempted to navigate being an owner and being a GM.

As an owner, he is one of the main driving forces behind Free Agency back in the 90's.

As a GM, he has never been effective in its application as a player acquisition strategy and execution.

The skills necessary for ownership are different from skills as a GM.

$10B+ valuation of the Cowboys franchise would support the conclusion that he is a pretty good owner.

30 years of ineptitude since Free Agency began would support the conclusion that he is a pretty poor GM.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Well whatever he was doing back in the 90's was a good thing, I feel like nothing stopped him from making a big move. He still talks about being able to do it, but doesn't

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well whatever he was doing back in the 90's was a good thing, I feel like nothing stopped him from making a big move. He still talks about being able to do it, but doesn't
umm.

What exactly was Jerry Jones doing in the 1990's?

Do you mean what Jones was doing when Jimmy Johnson was essentially the general manager and head coach through the 1993 season?

Do you mean what Jones was doing as the players (primarily) and Barry Switzer kept Johnson's product optimally viable through the 1994 and 1995 seasons?

Do you mean what Jones was doing as the team's performance declined relatively steady throughout and into the 2002 season the remainder of that decade?

Is that the good thing you are referring?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
umm.

What exactly was Jerry Jones doing in the 1990's?

Do you mean what Jones was doing when Jimmy Johnson was essentially the general manager and head coach through the 1993 season?

Do you mean what Jones was doing as the players (primarily) and Barry Switzer kept Johnson's product optimally viable through the 1994 and 1995 seasons?

Do you mean what Jones was doing as the team's performance declined relatively steady throughout and into the 2002 season the remainder of that decade?

Is that the good thing you are referring?
I'm referring to what how he was fearless about bringing in players to put us over the hump. Yes those people mentioned play their part, but let's focus on Jerruh!! Jerruh seemingly made moves to improve this roster, now it's more so Stephen running the show, I think the Jerry of old would say Stephen what the hell do you know, get out of here, who cares about money!!

stiletto

Reaction score
Let's be honest, better teams were able to absolutely torch Dan Quinn's defense. We got boat raced in several games. I kind of feel things might be a little better there just because of Zimmer. If the OL holds up the offense should be similar..
\
The team has a 1st place schedule so that makes things tougher. I don't expect them to have a better record but I think the team might be more disciplined and play better Defense against the better QB's/teams.

What will that lead to? Probably nothing. The QB will be the same and he'll predictably crap the bed if they get to the playoffs.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Let's be honest, better teams were able to absolutely torch Dan Quinn's defense. We got boat raced in several games. I kind of feel things might be a little better there just because of Zimmer. If the OL holds up the offense should be similar..
\
The team has a 1st place schedule so that makes things tougher. I don't expect them to have a better record but I think the team might be more disciplined and play better Defense against the better QB's/teams.

What will that lead to? Probably nothing. The QB will be the same and he'll predictably crap the bed if they get to the playoffs.
Better all around coaching/players

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm referring to what how he was fearless about bringing in players to put us over the hump.
When EXACTLY was Jones fearlessly taking this action DURING the 1990's? And how did his actions fare in hindsight?

:popcorn:

Flinger

Reaction score
\

Offenses negated DQ's defense by hard running up the middle.

We will now face him twice a year.

So, how's our "running up the middle" game doing?

stiletto

Reaction score
Offenses negated DQ's defense by hard running up the middle.

We will now face him twice a year.

So, how's our "running up the middle" game doing?
It will be horrendous most likely. lol

stiletto

Reaction score
Better all around coaching/players
The players on the Defensive line aren't better but I think the LB group is going to be quite a bit improved. If they could bring in one good DT or at least one more upgrade there, I think the defense will be good to go. Mazi is a big disappointment, obviously.

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
It is unlikely that the Cowboys exceed last year's expectations or results. Too many changes; and for the umpteenth time this team again goes into the season with two key deficiencies that fans pointed out needed to be addressed in the offseason - but wasn't: the ability to sustain an effective run game and the inability to stop the run, especially against the better teams. If Mazi disappoints again and we lose Osa or DLaw for any extended amount of time, this defense will be in danger of getting dog walked up the middle for 150+ yards a game.

stiletto

Reaction score
It is unlikely that the Cowboys exceed last year's expectations or results. Too many changes; and for the umpteenth time this team again goes into the season with two key deficiencies that fans pointed out needed to be addressed in the offseason - but wasn't: the ability to sustain an effective run game and the inability to stop the run, especially against the better teams. If Mazi disappoints again and we lose Osa or DLaw for any extended amount of time, this defense will be in danger of getting dog walked up the middle for 150+ yards a game.
Overall I think the same, although I do think with improved LB'ers it will be 4-6 yard gains instead of 15. lol not much better though.

plasticman

Reaction score
Veteran free agency means overpaying for players that are actually impactful. Teams understand this. However, the teams with critical needs that cannot be addressed through the draft will participate in signing these players.

Typically, the moves are made to either create excitement among their fans or the team is good enough to compete save for that one position.

The Cowboys are in a position that, not only do they draft well, but their players are also very popular in veteran free agency. Really, just signing their own players is a victory in veteran free agency.

The double edged sword in drafting well is that they must be paid before their rookie contract expires and when the team has exclusive negotiating rights. Releasing them to veteran free agency forces the team to compete with 31 others.

When I say the Cowboys draft well, I do not mean that they draft well on a consistent basis throughout each draft. Interestingly it's "feast or famine". When they hit, they hit big.

This team's previous five drafts have netted 18 Pro Bowl and 5 first team All Pro honors and that is far and above any other team. However, in order to maximize this abundance in talent, the Cowboys must make judicious decisions on contract renewals.

It is a very challenging situation dealing with the three present contracts under discussion and it will not end there. Half a dozen other top players will soon need to be considered.

Challenging that it is, every NFL team wishes they had the same problem as opposed to sorting out the risk/rewards of veteran free agency.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

You never know,,, if they get lucky with some diamonds in the rough along the OL and DL.