Could This Front Office Possibly be Stupid Enough to Extend Dak Past Free Agency?

d_cowboy31

Reaction score
The answer is clearly yes but would there be any logic at all to doing this? Is there something I am missing?

It seems like this is what is going to happen but it makes no sense.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Wouldn’t surprise me. They can use it as an excuse now for not doing anything and then after the market dries up magically extend him.

Swagger

Reaction score
Why would the front office decide to do this? They don't need to scrimp and save a million or two. They are loaded. The only conceivable explanation is that they are not extending Dak Prescott and eating his cap hit this season or better still, a post June 1st casualty. It has only taken then 8 years to cotton on but baby steps and all that.

Big_D

Reaction score
If it was going to happen, you'd think they would've gotten it done when there were some players on the board. LOL It doesn't even make sense at this point.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Why would the front office decide to do this? They don't need to scrimp and save a million or two. They are loaded. The only conceivable explanation is that they are not extending Dak Prescott and eating his cap hit this season or better still, a post June 1st casualty. It has only taken then 8 years to cotton on but baby steps and all that.
One can only hope and I don't believe that this is the case even when it appears so...

Pentagruel

Reaction score
I wouldn’t put anything past them but it makes much less sense now since they don’t need the cap space. My guess is they wait and see what happens next year and then either pay out the *** to extend him since the price for QB’s only ever goes up or they blow the whole thing up and start over.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The answer is clearly yes but would there be any logic at all to doing this? Is there something I am missing?

The Cowboys want to extend Dak, just at their price. Dak has two ways to get the extension, 1. Win the Super Bowl next season or 2. take the contract the Joneses are offering. You never know come August Dak might give in.

Blitzen

Reaction score

I don’t know what they are offering him (if anything), but I imagine that Dak understands how much he likes the Dallas situation. Zero demands for playoff success (just make the playoffs frequently). Enormous endorsement deals just because you are the Dallas QB. Potential media positions after your career. It’s cushy and he understands that he will never succeed in the playoffs, so this is the best place to be-even for way under market value.

MetalMike

Reaction score
All of this extension mess and giant whatever the market is for QB's is just getting ridiculous. Dak is not a $60M QB. Not in this league or any other. IMHO no QB or any other player is worth that much, unless they also go into the stands and perform two Heimlich maneuvers and at least one CPR per week. The NFL (should stand for National Fleecing League) raises the salary cap yearly to help make it happen. And then every team raises prices for tix and merch accordingly.
I'd rather have an elite defense with a coach that can get them all on the same page come game day than to have one extremely overpriced and underachieving QB.