Could Vandy wind up on the PUP?

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Just wondering if BP would place Vandy on the PUP. It would give him time to heal, (mentally and Physically) and be able to come back in the season.... Just a thought. Better than placing him on IR or just cutting him... I don't think PUP players count against your 53 but I'm not sure..

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
No becasue a player can only go on the PUP at the beginning of Training Camp.

jksmith269

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
No becasue a player can only go on the PUP at the beginning of Training Camp.
So why have I seen teams placing players on PUP? A player can be placed on the PUP but he has to remain on it for like 6 weeks before coming back. When placed on the PUP at the start of TC he can come off before the season starts or anytime during Preseason....

EDIT: Example

Sat, 2 Sep 2006 06:40:07 -0700

Benjamin Hochman, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports the New Orleans Saints have placed WR Michael Lewis (knee) on their Reserve/physically-unable-to-perform list. He won't be allowed to play for six weeks, and after that the Saints can determine his future.

Sandman52

Reaction score
PUP is for non-football related injuries. Kinda like Priest Holmes.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
So why have I seen teams placing players on PUP? A player can be placed on the PUP but he has to remain on it for like 6 weeks before coming back. When placed on the PUP at the start of TC he can come off before the season starts or anytime during Preseason....

EDIT: Example

didn't participate in TC or preseason.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Maybe they changed the rule. That was the way it was when we put Woodson on the PUP year before last...the rule was widely discussed at the time.

jksmith269

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Maybe they changed the rule. That was the way it was when we put Woodson on the PUP year before last...the rule was widely discussed at the time.
No you guys are correct.... A player can't be put on the pup that starts TC on the active Roster... Sorry I was just hoping for a way to keep him oh well cut him....

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Sandman52 said:
PUP is for non-football related injuries. Kinda like Priest Holmes.

That isn't true. It is for any injury that keeps the player from participating in TC and Preseason - the only rule is that the injury happened before TC. For example, if a player tore their achilles in the superbowl they would likely end up on the PUP because they weren't ready for TC.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Just wondering if BP would place Vandy on the PUP. It would give him time to heal, (mentally and Physically) and be able to come back in the season.... Just a thought. Better than placing him on IR or just cutting him... I don't think PUP players count against your 53 but I'm not sure..

The thing is.... he really hasnt played since he shanked that kick in playoffs... should have been enough time to HEAL..... when did he get hurt... he got here and never kicked, right?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Once a player passes the team physical at the beginning(or later) of training camp they can't be put on the PUP.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Once a player passes the team physical at the beginning(or later) of training camp they can't be put on the PUP.

so simple. but every year at this time...

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
Maybe they signed him resigning the fact of trying him out to see if he can still actually kick field goals. Remember there is 10 yrs. of film on that.