Could we ever get Jimmy Johnson back? What would it take? What other solutions?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
:starspin I hear we need a disciplinarian, yes please. I hear we need a coach that wants to takeover games, dominate them on both sides of the ball and blow teams out, yes please. A coach that has a stronger personality and probably a bigger ego than our star studded team, yes please. A name I hear, Bill Cowher, disciplinarian and very good coach. In my opinion he coaches a gritty and physical game of football but he doesn't have that go for the throat and outright drop missiles on the opposing D mentality. One name I don't hear is Jimmy Johnson's. At least the Jimmy who was here, on the other hand was just downright abusive to opposing teams. He wanted to bang teams around on both sides of the ball and out finesse them at the same time with his team's speed and talent. His players lost and he made them wish and do everything possible to become winners again. He turned bad boys that could rip other teams locker rooms apart into aggressive, hungry leaders that made the rest of the team's players approach the game with the same dominating mentality. Jimmy had the ego, the backbone, game plan, control and ruthless abandon to build and coach a team that could win any war on the field, time after time.

As Cowboy fans, we remember our last real good football to be played this way and we expect our coach to provoke our teams to this type of play. Well, its been since Jimmy was our coach that we had this type of swagger and even though we had Parcells who used to coach teams with ferocious swagger, it was a tired Parcells who mentally and physically couldn't coach that type of game any more. Not because he didn't have the mentality ever or 2 years ago, but as we all do eventually, Parcells broke down physically over the years which tires everyone, effects our/his aggressive hunger/reckless abandon to the point where it is not possible to coach this type of football anymore. I bring up Jimmy because I haven't seen another coach other than Belicheat, who did have Brady but didn't have the greatest personnel, coach a team with this type of swagger to win the big wars over the last 15 years. Our team as of today does not have the mantra to win on field wars like it used to back in the 90's and that is why we are nothing like the 90's teams come playoff time. As brutal as it sounds, playoff time is kill or be killed time and there is not 1 aspect of this teams mentality, other than T.O's that has this sick, hungry, selfish desire to close coffins on teams offenses and continually drive balls into their graves. It's a brutal mentality, it's the one that creates dynasties though and only a handful of great coaches had it throughout the games history and that is why there are so few dynasties. Heck, it's so dificult to win a Superbowl, a playoff game. Even worse, for these Cowboys any meaningful game where it becomes an on field war. Arizona attacked and bullied our QB yesterday. Other than the playoffs last year, I have never seen Romo have to deal with so much physical pressure.

I heard Wade after the game yesterday and of course he didn't seem happy at all over the loss, but it's this air gasping I hear out of him and his voice. We are not down the tubes here but I don't see any fire, change in the game plans or our mentality that would suggest a swing, a rounding of the troops. When Jimmy was here after a loss, there was no golly G sucking on air style of explaining the game and "we're going to go back and watch the tape". "Go back and watch the tape" sounds like what an assistant would first say. Not like a guy who is supposed know what's going on during the game to lead and have the solutions and adjustments right there to win during that game. At best that sounds like your run of the mill coach, you know that losing coach that has that standardized statement, "we'll go look at tape" cause I'm a losing coach statement. No way, when Jimmy lost there was some angry, fierce, abrasive, "someone is going to pay for trying to dismantle my army" projection that came from him and that directly trickled over to the players, the coaching staff and even management. Yes even management. Jimmy's team always came back and smashed people around after and they always had different looks to do so. Wade keeps bringing out the same, "I hope Garrett can find a way for us to score 30 points and I'll be the defensive coordinator to get this team to hold the other team to 21" game plan. Jimmy would never have 2 drips like Brian Stewart and Bruce Read as his coaches, 2 of the few Wade hires and you can see why. We can't get rid of Wade right now, our season really would be shot especially now that Romo is out for several weeks, so we need to deal with this status quo garbage for at least the rest of this year. We will make the playof still but won't win th SB. After this season, I want Jerry to ask himself 2 questions. Is Jimmy Johnson mentally and physically what the old Jimmy was? If so, what will it take to get Jimmy Johnson back coaching this team? I have his OC here for him in Garrett, I have his DC here in Campo and a truck load of talent. :starspin

AKATheRake

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2333790 said:
No we couldn't. No it wouldn't happen. No it won't happen.

Why not? What are the other coaching solutions. We need this mentality back at all costs.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
AKATheRake;2333810 said:
Why not? What are the other coaching solutions. We need this mentality back at all costs.

Why not? For the same reason that Jimmy was shown the door here in the first place. He and Jerry simply can't co-exist even when a team is winning Superbowls. Do you think that's suddenly changed?

Plus what makes you think Jimmy would even care to deal with the circus in Dallas again? He's got a nice, cushy, position with Fox where he makes a nice bit of coin and without the stress.

Jimmy was great but that ship sailed long ago and it's not coming back.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JJ is not coming back, people need to get that idea out of their heads.

Boysboy

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2333822 said:
JJ is not coming back, people need to get that idea out of their heads.

In case anyone hasn't caught it, JJ has already turned down NUMEROUS HC gigs.

He doesn't want to coach anymore, period-he's also having the time of his life in the Fox broadcasting booth.

Unlike Parcells, at least he's consistent to his word.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Jimmy was on the pregame show yesterday and said he would take Plaxico and Ocho Cinco over TO...there is no way he coaches this team.

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
Jimmy did nothing in Miami.........people get over it. The herschel Walker deal made jimmy. When he didn't have the horses he fell on his face.

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
ajk23az;2333830 said:
Jimmy was on the pregame show yesterday and said he would take Plaxico and Ocho Cinco over TO...there is no way he coaches this team.

Yea I saw that. He said he couldn't work with TO.

And he should have added "or Jerry either".

Boysboy

Reaction score
miamicowboy21;2333845 said:
Jimmy did nothing in Miami.........people get over it. The herschel Walker deal made jimmy. When he didn't have the horses he fell on his face.

But en yet, most Zoners here are saying how "He was handcuffed by Dan Marino there".

To his credit, Jimmy DID build quite a D in Miami. They were terrorizing opposing offenses for for years after he left. Other than that, you're right-he didn't exactly have a Herschel Walker-like trade that would have netted him an Emmitt Smith, a much better OL, etc, etc.

superpunk

Reaction score
We needed Jimmy after the Legend left.

We got Gailey/Campo instead.

Coy

Reaction score
I would give my left nut to have Jimmy back, but it ain´t gonna happen.