Could We See Steele Return To Form?

817Gill

Reaction score
The Panthers game was Steele’s best this season. He was much more mobile and if you check him out on Turpin’s screen he took out two Panthers cleanly.

Steele isn’t a naturally talented player. He has some nice physical traits and is an exceptionally hard worker. That’s why you saw leaps of improvement from year one to two to three.

He’s never been an elite pass protector and he‘a never been a tight technique guy. He just works his butt off and it allows him to hone in enough to be a good player, and at times really good.

Taking months off of technique practice to rehab took a toll on his hand placement, feet, and timing. He’s not the most natural T, he’s just a worker. It seems like against Carolina he finally started to regain that technique and muscle memory, and his movement looked as good as it has since the ACL.

Keep an eye out on the return of Steele to being a solid RT here on out. If it happens, then we will certainly improve on the ground as that’s his only elite quality. Pollard seemed to have burst last week as well. If both these guys return to last years form we are a much more dangerous offense.

quickccc

Reaction score
The Panthers game was Steele’s best this season. He was much more mobile and if you check him out on Turpin’s screen he took out two Panthers cleanly.

Steele isn’t a naturally talented player. He has some nice physical traits and is an exceptionally hard worker. That’s why you saw leaps of improvement from year one to two to three.

He’s never been an elite pass protector and he‘a never been a tight technique guy. He just works his butt off and it allows him to hone in enough to be a good player, and at times really good.

Taking months off of technique practice to rehab took a toll on his hand placement, feet, and timing. He’s not the most natural T, he’s just a worker. It seems like against Carolina he finally started to regain that technique and muscle memory, and his movement looked as good as it has since the ACL.

Keep an eye out on the return of Steele to being a solid RT here on out. If it happens, then we will certainly improve on the ground as that’s his only elite quality. Pollard seemed to have burst last week as well. If both these guys return to last years form we are a much more dangerous offense.
Steele is more athletic than what he's given credit for ..and he had the size and length the club prefers at OT.
It was his a lack of anchor core power and techniques and consistency that he was utterly horrid in his rookie year.

Plus during covid year 2020, he had zero mini camp, zero offseason strength program, zero pre-season games
and was basically thrown to the wolves his rookie year because of OT injuries ( ala Collins, Erving, etc.)
We even moved Martin to RT, cuz Steele struggled mightily every single game.

Ironically Steele even struggled in preseasons 2 years before he really turned it on reg. season in 2022.
He allowed only one sack ( to Lions stud DE Hutchison) before he had ACL injury.
That's why he got the big re-signed contract.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Steele is said to be one of the hardest workers on the team. If I was to bet I'd say he's top 10 of guys on the team I'd take to recover from acl struggles. Diggs I'm not sure about but that's another thread for another day

817Gill

Reaction score
Steele is said to be one of the hardest workers on the team. If I was to bet I'd say he's top 10 of guys on the team I'd take to recover from acl struggles. Diggs I'm not sure about but that's another thread for another day
I heard Diggs had a clean tear of only ACL and no auxiliary nerves. So medically he should have no issue.

Remember dude was a WR 4-5 years ago, gotta have some level of work ethic to become a pro bowl corner. But yeah he got paid so always gotta worry bout it.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Definitely improved since the embarrassing performance against the egirls.

Mr_437

Reaction score

Steele has been playing better and know it seems the whole OL is starting to flow. Seattle Defense will be a decent test.

stinkface

Reaction score
The elite DEs give Steele fits, but they give most everyone fits. He is better then OK and most of the time that's good enough.