Coupla observations from the weekend...

VACowboy

Reaction score
1. I saw Jeremy Cash play in person for the first time Saturday. He had a horrible game. Was constantly out of position and getting beat like a drum in coverage. A complete non-factor, and then he got thrown out of the game for hitting the Virginia QB in the head. I hate the targeting penalty, but that was a dirty play. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the guy, and if I hadn't seen him play half a dozen other times, I'd be wondering what the heck everyone was talking about.

2. Jared Goff > Paxton Lynch, IMHO. He just looks more the part to me. Goff has great pocket awareness and escapabily. He is really good at moving around to extend plays, and always has his eyes trained downfield. But for me, what sets Goff apart from Lynch is his release. Whereas Lynch has a little bit of a long-armed windup, Goff throws the ball like a dart. Very quick getting rid of the ball, and able to do it with nice touch too. If Goff is there, he's definitely my #1 choice.

RS12

Reaction score
Lynch's O Line and O Coordinator hung him out to dry on Saturday.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I was watching the game Goff was playing last night against lasts Stanford. He worked exclusively out of the shotgun and the throws were 10yds and in. I didn't see any downfield throws. He did have a quick release though. Granted I only watched about 2 quarters and he could be just throwing to what the def was given him.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
1. I saw Jeremy Cash play in person for the first time Saturday. He had a horrible game. Was constantly out of position and getting beat like a drum in coverage. A complete non-factor, and then he got thrown out of the game for hitting the Virginia QB in the head. I hate the targeting penalty, but that was a dirty play. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the guy, and if I hadn't seen him play half a dozen other times, I'd be wondering what the heck everyone was talking about.

2. Jared Goff > Paxton Lynch, IMHO. He just looks more the part to me. Goff has great pocket awareness and escapabily. He is really good at moving around to extend plays, and always has his eyes trained downfield. But for me, what sets Goff apart from Lynch is his release. Whereas Lynch has a little bit of a long-armed windup, Goff throws the ball like a dart. Very quick getting rid of the ball, and able to do it with nice touch too. If Goff is there, he's definitely my #1 choice.

I agree with you on Goff. I like Lynch, but the more I've watched both over the past month or so, I think Goff will be a better pro. He seems to be better suited for the NFL. Better pocket presence and awareness and handle pressure in the pocket better than any QB in this class that I've seen. He's also playing with a very poor supporting cast at Cal and has still managed to put up good numbers. I don't think either are a sure thing, but he would be my pick. I think people are little overly-infatuated with Lynch's height as well. If he were 6'4 or 6'5, would he be garnering the same buzz? Probably not.

Unfortunately, Goff just seems like a lock for the Niners to me. He grew up a huge fan in the area, wears #16 b/c of Montana, and according to rumors, Jed York and Trent Baalke, the Niners' owner and GM, have been watching him closely this season and both are very high on him. They're pretty much guaranteed a top 3 pick this year as I don't see them winning another game. So I think Goff will be a Niner when it's all said and done. Just my two cents.

AzorAhai

Reaction score

I agree. Tools are probably going to put Lynch ahead of Goff on draft day, but Goff has been my favorite for a long time. He "looks" like an NFL QB. He can go through reads and throws with accuracy. Unfortunately I think @IAmLegend is right and he's going to be a Niner, or worse a Brown!

VACowboy

Reaction score
I agree with you on Goff. I like Lynch, but the more I've watched both over the past month or so, I think Goff will be a better pro. He seems to be better suited for the NFL. Better pocket presence and awareness and handle pressure in the pocket better than any QB in this class that I've seen. He's also playing with a very poor supporting cast at Cal and has still managed to put up good numbers. I don't think either are a sure thing, but he would be my pick. I think people are little overly-infatuated with Lynch's height as well. If he were 6'4 or 6'5, would he be garnering the same buzz? Probably not.

Unfortunately, Goff just seems like a lock for the Niners to me. He grew up a huge fan in the area, wears #16 b/c of Montana, and according to rumors, Jed York and Trent Baalke, the Niners' owner and GM, have been watching him closely this season and both are very high on him. They're pretty much guaranteed a top 3 pick this year as I don't see them winning another game. So I think Goff will be a Niner when it's all said and done. Just my two cents.

Yeah. SF passed on a Cal QB not too long ago...

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Goff is the more polished prospect, I just am intrigued with Lynch. Would be thrilled with either but Goff should get selected 1st.

VA, What do you think of Clemson's safety Jayron Kearse?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Christian Hackenberg is still horrible and cannot handle a pass rush. Makes Drew Bledsoe look nimble.