Courtney Brown

yesfan

Reaction score
6'1 200lb
Just hoping he can surprise.He was projected to go somewhere in the 5th
round.

College Career

With their second seventh round selection (212th overall) in the 2007 NFL Draft the Dallas Cowboys selected Courtney Brown - an explosive corner with good open-field acceleration and ball hawking skills. In 41 games at Cal Poly, Brown started 31 contests and recorded 111 tackles with 1.5 tackles for loss. He deflected 22 passes and intercepted 10 others for 63 return yards. He also recorded nine receptions gaining 139 yards. In his final two years as a starter he did not allow a touchdown reception becoming a shutdown corner, as he generally lined up against the opponent's best receiver. Brown posted the fastest 40-yard dash time of 4.32 seconds as well as the highest vertical jump at 41.5 inches at a Pro Day in March. Brown will need to display his coverage skills both defensively and on special teams in his effort to make the active roster.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
It's pretty tough to make the roster as a 7th rounder so I'm guessing that coaching staff seen something in him, enough to believe he has some potential. I hope eventually he can be a good FS

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
yesfan;1843436 said:
6'1 200lb
Just hoping he can surprise.He was projected to go somewhere in the 5th
round.

College Career

With their second seventh round selection (212th overall) in the 2007 NFL Draft the Dallas Cowboys selected Courtney Brown - an explosive corner with good open-field acceleration and ball hawking skills. In 41 games at Cal Poly, Brown started 31 contests and recorded 111 tackles with 1.5 tackles for loss. He deflected 22 passes and intercepted 10 others for 63 return yards. He also recorded nine receptions gaining 139 yards. In his final two years as a starter he did not allow a touchdown reception becoming a shutdown corner, as he generally lined up against the opponent's best receiver. Brown posted the fastest 40-yard dash time of 4.32 seconds as well as the highest vertical jump at 41.5 inches at a Pro Day in March. Brown will need to display his coverage skills both defensively and on special teams in his effort to make the active roster.
Very nice.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me he has sort of a Peter Hunter type of skill-set. Let's hope he progresses better than what Hunter did but quite frankly that knee injury and his piss poor attitude did Hunter in.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hunter wasn't very smart IMO. Brown has an engineering degree, so I don't think he'll have that problem.

He at least was smart enough not to refuse to move to safety from corner. :D

I think Brown will be a player. He had a really nice, athletic interception in preseason. Really looked like a ballhawking safety.

CPonder14

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1843455 said:
Hunter wasn't very smart IMO. Brown has an engineering degree, so I don't think he'll have that problem.

I think Brown will be a player. He had a really nice, athletic interception in preseason. Really looked like a ballhawking safety.

Any highlights of it?:D

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yeah. I get the sense this coaching staff thinks he's going to develop into a heck of a starter for us in a year or two. Same thing with Watkins.

TheBeheader31

Reaction score
Idgit;1843970 said:
Yeah. I get the sense this coaching staff thinks he's going to develop into a heck of a starter for us in a year or two. Same thing with Watkins.
I bet he's moved back to CB. The switch to safety was made before Hamlin was looked at as a long term solution at FS.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Why not move Hamlin to SS if this kid pans out?? I really think that in the pass happy NFL, athletic safeties are the way to go anyhow.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Idgit;1843970 said:

Yeah but...........two starting free safeties?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheBeheader31;1844006 said:
I bet he's moved back to CB. The switch to safety was made before Hamlin was looked at as a long term solution at FS.

The story in training camp was that the defensive staff didn't think he had the hips for CB in the NFL. I think he stays at safety.

FLcowboy;1844200 said:
Yeah but...........two starting free safeties?

Watkins is capable of playing SS already, and I'd expect Brown to get some experience at SS next year, too. I can't imagine letting Roy or Hamlin go at this point, but I do think the staff thinks the backups can be quality starters in this league. I wouldn't be shocked to see us let Davis go this offseason, and even to see us let Hamlin walk if his asking price is too high. I'd hate to see it happen, though.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Good... can he "engineer" a few more INT's per season? :D

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1843443 said:
It's pretty tough to make the roster as a 7th rounder so I'm guessing that coaching staff seen something in him, enough to believe he has some potential. I hope eventually he can be a good FS

What they saw are his combine numbers, same reason Ball is still on the team. They haven't had a chance to see what the guy can actually do on an NFL football field to be confident in anything.

Oh_Canada;1844121 said:
Why not move Hamlin to SS if this kid pans out?? I really think that in the pass happy NFL, athletic safeties are the way to go anyhow.

Where is Roy playing then.... ohhh, I see what you're saying. You want to bench or cut Roy.... nice. You're ready to do away with one of our best players in favor of a guy that has never played safety at the professional level.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
I seem to remember soem anecdotal stuff about both he and Ball being impressive but a little raw in camp. I bet the guy does pretty well if they can help him out a little as he gets time.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
TheCount;1844448 said:
What they saw are his combine numbers, same reason Ball is still on the team. They haven't had a chance to see what the guy can actually do on an NFL football field to be confident in anything.
I think they've seen more than combine numbers. They have inputs training, pre-season games, and from practice squad plays. You don't keep players solely because of combine numbers, you keep players because they has shown potentials from mini-camps, training camp, and pre-season games.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1845011 said:
I think they've seen more than combine numbers. They have inputs training, pre-season games, and from practice squad plays. You don't keep players solely because of combine numbers, you keep players because they has shown potentials from mini-camps, training camp, and pre-season games.

Maybe I'm old school, but you don't judge a guy by what he does in practice or in pre-season. Certainly not from mini-camp or training-camp, when everyone is running around in shorts and shells. All you get a feel for is how athletic a guy MIGHT be.

And you absolutely do keep a player based solely on combine numbers, as long as they aren't starters, and you have depth. Which is exactly what happened with Ball and Brown.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
TheCount;1845051 said:
Maybe I'm old school, but you don't judge a guy by what he does in practice or in pre-season. Certainly not from mini-camp or training-camp, when everyone is running around in shorts and shells. All you get a feel for is how athletic a guy MIGHT be.

And you absolutely do keep a player based solely on combine numbers, as long as they aren't starters, and you have depth. Which is exactly what happened with Ball and Brown.
I disagree. Combine numbers is a good indicator of how athletic a player is and it is just one aspect of why a player is kept. Why do we cut players during mini-camps and training camps? Because they aren't showing anything and those who shows enough of potential are kept and these events have not much to do with combine numbers.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
TheCount;1845051 said:

You'd put more weight on combine or Pro Day numbers from eight months ago than on what your own eyes see from these guys practicing against other pro players every day in practice? :confused:

Besides, Ball doesn't even have great numbers. He's more a scrappy competitor than a great athlete.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
I think our D would be much better with two free safeties. Everyone knows you stop the run with your front 7. If you have to use your safeties you are in trouble. Have you ever heard a GM say we had a hard time stopping the run so we decided to draft a safety. Heck no they talk DT and MLB.