Courtney Brown

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1845011 said:
I think they've seen more than combine numbers. They have inputs training, pre-season games, and from practice squad plays. You don't keep players solely because of combine numbers, you keep players because they has shown potentials from mini-camps, training camp, and pre-season games.

:hammer:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;1845051 said:
Maybe I'm old school, but you don't judge a guy by what he does in practice or in pre-season. Certainly not from mini-camp or training-camp, when everyone is running around in shorts and shells. All you get a feel for is how athletic a guy MIGHT be.

And you absolutely do keep a player based solely on combine numbers, as long as they aren't starters, and you have depth. Which is exactly what happened with Ball and Brown.

a young guy you certainly do, to see whether he's assimilating the coaching, improving, etc.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Natedawg44;1845141 said:
I think our D would be much better with two free safeties. Everyone knows you stop the run with your front 7. If you have to use your safeties you are in trouble. Have you ever heard a GM say we had a hard time stopping the run so we decided to draft a safety. Heck no they talk DT and MLB.
I think this is the way to go at least for the present and near-future. With offenses being so wide open nowadays, you need ball-hawking, coverage safeties.

zeromaster

Reaction score
TheCount;1844448 said:
Where is Roy playing then.... ohhh, I see what you're saying. You want to bench or cut Roy.... nice. You're ready to do away with one of our best players in favor of a guy that has never played safety at the professional level.
lolcatsdotcomlvq46lax01b8b5kr.jpg

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1845168 said:
a young guy you certainly do, to see whether he's assimilating the coaching, improving, etc.

Yes, because those are the basics. If a guy comes out of the draft and can't take coaching and use it to improve in training camp, before the heat is even on, then you obviously get rid of that guy.

If a guy can do those things, then that's a starting point to see if he can actually play.

This is especially true for low round picks, where there isn't that much of a financial investment, so if they can't do the basics you cut them. If they can, there's not much involved to see if those physical tools means they can actually play pro football.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Smith22;1852672 said:
Is he the one that failed to down the punt inside the 5?

I thought it was him, some were saying it was Watkins though. Not sure.