Cover 32: QB David Fales

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
Draft season is underway! And here at Cover32, we will have all the coverage you could ever need on the NFL Draft. Today, we are going to look at a favorite of mine at the quarterback position who I want you to keep an eye on as the draft process goes along. The San Jose State Spartans don’t get a ton of national media coverage, so it wouldn’t be surprising if you have never heard of the name David Fales before. But Fales doesn’t care, he is going to just keep on throwing.

David Fales is a 6-2, 220 pound senior from California who has put up monster stats during his time at San Jose State. As a senior, Fales threw for 4,189 yards, 33 touchdowns and 11 interceptions in 2013. But his last game against Fresno State is what first put him on my radar. Battling against likely a first round in quarterback Derek Carr, Fales threw for 547 yards and 6 touchdowns as his team beat Fresno State 62-52 in a shootout. Fales was about as accurate he could have been, completing 37 of 45 passes in the game, many of which were big-time, NFL throws.

We are going to look at what makes Fales one of my favorite passers in the draft and why I believe he is a nice fit for the Dallas Cowboys in the mid-rounds of this draft. The first thing I want to show you about Fales is how much touch he throws with. And that type of touch isn’t something that can be taught easily. On this throw, Fales puts the ball right on the money, where only the receiver can get it and he does so 40 yards downfield. Take a look:

Read the rest at: http://cover32.com/cowboys/2014/01/09/early-scouting-quarterback-david-fales/

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like Fales, quite a bit. Went to see him when they played Colorado St a couple of years ago, he had a great game. He is a tall, well built guy who is not afraid to stand in the pocket and take a hit.

I think as we get closer to the draft, his stock will rise. I would be surprised if he makes it to round 4. If we can somehow get him, he would be at the perfect age and maturity to take over for Romo in 2-3 years.

He reminds me of Aikman back in his UCLA days, even the same body type. I would grab him in a second if he was there for us mid-round.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
I don't see him as anything more than a backup or situational starter. Could be wrong, but I just don't see it. And he's taken every snap from the shotgun. Wait one more season and take Mariota. I'm sticking to that.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't see him as anything more than a backup or situational starter. Could be wrong, but I just don't see it. And he's taken every snap from the shotgun. Wait one more season and take Mariota. I'm sticking to that.
Sounds like a perfect fit...

tm1119

Reaction score

You're worried about what kind of offense Fales runs, but want Mariota? That doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Oregon's offense is about as far away from a NFL offense as you can get. Unless he gets drafted by Philly of course....

dools

Reaction score
Really like this kid. Not the greatest arm, but good enough. Steal in the 3rd. Hope he is on our radar.

dasander

Reaction score
This is my pet cat. He actually reminds me of Romo in that he makes a lot of touch throws and doesn't have a cannon of an arm, but it's adequate. They talked about him a little at Cowboys Nation and I think he's a perfect fit for our offensive system. He's also a Cowboy fan(see interview):