CowboyJoes 2nd combine Mock Draft, this one realistic

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
note, I put this in the wrong section, should be in draft section, can someone move it for me, thanks

With this draft, we meet most of our needs, especially on offense at OT, OG, C, punt/kickoff returner, backup speedy slot wr and rb in mccluster. We draft a big DE/DT that has played NT, and very strong, just needs to get alittle meaner. In some ways Linval Joseph reminds me of a young Leon Lett. We also pick up Dickerson, who along with McCluster will make our offense very potent. With Iupati or Ducasse, Saffold or Jared Veldheer and Cook at center we will have a young offensive line in a few years with Robert Brewster & Doug Free. Our safety situation is solved with adding Chris Cook who can play safety or cb. Then we add in a deep speed wr with Trindon Holliday WR LSU 5' 5" 161 Or Kelton Trindal WR, Newberry 6'3", 195lbs, 4.25 40 time. This will stretch the opposing defenses, while adding a few bombs on touchdowns from Tony Romo. Yeah, I know how some of you feel about adding a kicker, but we have to be sure, so we arent grasping at straws late in the year with lost field goals. We may have to flip flop some of the players in the mock draft due to some going before i have them pegged, or we may have to reach for some players because were picking low at end of each round.

1. 27th Dallas Mike Iupati OG/Idaho
Analysis: The average age for the Cowboys’ starting offensive line next season is over 32 years. Owner/General Manager Jerry Jones loves big, physical, and nasty offensive linemen. Enter Mike Iupati who fits the bill to a tee. The former Vandal needs refinement in technique, but his natural ability is off the charts for a guard prospect.

If top offensive linemen are gone along with Earl Thomas, etc.. we make a trade down, say to cleveland or rams, get a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th.
then we take Vladimir Ducasse OT/Massachusetts

2. Our 2nd rounder we take
Dexter McCluster RB/Mississippi

3. If we traded down say with cleveland or rams we take with extra 3rd rounder
Chris Cook, CB/FS, Virginia

4. With our own 3rd rounder we take
Dorrin Dickerson, TE/FB, Pittsburgh (Round 3-4)

5. With our own 4th rounder we take
Linval Joseph* DT East Carolina 6' 6" 322

If Joseph is gone we take Clifton Geathers

6. If the trade down is still in effect we take
in 5th round
Rodger Saffold OT Indiana 6' 5" 305

if Saffold is gone we take Jared Veldheer OT Hillsdale 6' 8" 321

We then either trade Sam Hurd, or Pat Mcquistan, someone with low round draft probability and pick up an extra 6th or 7th rounder.

7. With our own 6th rounder we take
Leigh Tiffin K Alabama 6' 1" 198 or Hunter Lawrence

8. With the extra 6th our 7th rounder we take
Trindon Holliday WR LSU 5' 5" 161 Or Kelton Trindal WR, Newberry 6'3", 195lbs, 4.25 40 time.

9. With our 7th rounder we take
Ryan Cook OL 6’7 328 New Mexico

Woods

Reaction score
R Saffold is projected to go in the 2nd round now a days.

In fact, he could possibly even squeeze into the end of Round 1, imo.

But I'd be very happy with Iupati, McCluster, and C Cook (though I think he may end up going in the 2nd as well - or early 3rd).

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Woods;3308879 said:
R Saffold is projected to go in the 2nd round now a days.

In fact, he could possibly even squeeze into the end of Round 1, imo.

But I'd be very happy with Iupati, McCluster, and C Cook (though I think he may end up going in the 2nd as well - or early 3rd).

some sites have him there in 2nd round, i agree, but some in the 4th round; again, i mentioned we may have to switch some players around in my mock, heck even give up one of the lower picks to go get a player here or there.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3308896 said:
some sites have him there in 2nd round, i agree, but some in the 4th round; again, i mentioned we may have to switch some players around in my mock, heck even give up one of the lower picks to go get a player here or there.

Saffold will go in Round 1 and earlier then anyone thinks. Just keep the Bengals in mind............you heard it hear first:)

Woods

Reaction score
SDogo;3308911 said:
Saffold will go in Round 1 and earlier then anyone thinks. Just keep the Bengals in mind............you heard it hear first:)

I have to say, I prefer him to Charles Brown at OT.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Woods;3308916 said:
I have to say, I prefer him to Charles Brown at OT.

i think the bengals might go in 2 ways,
first one if golden tate is there, they take him, if he isnt there and DT cody is there, they take cody

bengals have always taken big huge players, just like vikings

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I like every pick on there A LOT except the Tiffin pick. We aren't going to draft a kicker, you can count on that.

I would be ecstatic if Chris Cook was still available in the 3rd round. He likely won't be, though...4.46 40-yard dash, 2nd amongst CBs. At 6'2'' and 212 lbs he's the prototypical CB/FS hybrid that you want, too, especially with that speed.

Great mock, Joe. If this was our draft, I'd wet myself. I still think it's possible...especially if the Cowboys are able to move Martellus Bennett for a 2nd or 3rd rounder...planning on drafting his replacement in Dorin Dickerson anyway!

Great mock!

SDogo

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3308932 said:
Wait what?

Saffold------->Bengals.......Round 1......Book it! lol

Reaction score
SDogo;3309038 said:

lmao, I like him a lot aswell, but that might be pushing it. If that did happen it would completely throw off the 1st round IMO.

Jongb35

Reaction score
I don't see any way Dickerson lasts until the end of round three, and like the others said, Saffold is way too late.

I also don't see any reason we would take Holliday if we already selected McCluster, but you may have put that in there as a pick that depends on the 2nd round scenario.

SDogo

Reaction score
CanuckCowboysFan;3309063 said:
lmao, I like him a lot aswell, but that might be pushing it. If that did happen it would completely throw off the 1st round IMO.

I have reasons to believe it's not as far fetched as it seems.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
casmith07;3309037 said:
I like every pick on there A LOT except the Tiffin pick. We aren't going to draft a kicker, you can count on that.

I would be ecstatic if Chris Cook was still available in the 3rd round. He likely won't be, though...4.46 40-yard dash, 2nd amongst CBs. At 6'2'' and 212 lbs he's the prototypical CB/FS hybrid that you want, too, especially with that speed.

Great mock, Joe. If this was our draft, I'd wet myself. I still think it's possible...especially if the Cowboys are able to move Martellus Bennett for a 2nd or 3rd rounder...planning on drafting his replacement in Dorin Dickerson anyway!

Great mock!

thanks buddy, if say we can get at least 7 to 8 players that i picked, then i would be happy too

like you said, we may trade bennett or barber to get chris cook, etc, then that might enable us to get most of those players

this is the draft i think that can propel us over the top along with jerry jones signing a key veteran player through free agency.

like biggems posted, if we can fill out the rest of the roster with a key impact te like dickerson, get 2-3 impact offensive linemen, impact rb/wr/kickoff-punt returner like mccluster, a key defensive linemen like joseph or gaithers, along with a fleet wr with deep speed like trindal or holliday, and like chris cook who can play cb and safety, along with one or 2 veteran free agents,,so we dont have to reach in the draft, then thats what will help us get back to the superbowl.

next year in the draft from what i hear wil be very poor, so we might even trade one of our future 4 or 5's to get some elite players in this draft

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Jongb35;3309075 said:
I don't see any way Dickerson lasts until the end of round three, and like the others said, Saffold is way too late.

I also don't see any reason we would take Holliday if we already selected McCluster, but you may have put that in there as a pick that depends on the 2nd round scenario.

i think he will, reason why i put holliday or trindal there, one big reason;

wade phillips said that felix jones wont be returning kickoffs this year

so in essence, little mccluster later on in the season might get beat up too much, so you have the other kickoff/punt returner too, and they both have deep deep speed, something that we really need on offense to stretch the defense to open up receiving for roy williams, austin, witten, possibly dickerson and mccluster,
then that will also open up the running game too

i still have high hopes for ogletree too, but im iffy now on M Bennett and Roy Williams, they both may not be here in 2010/2011 for sure;

so we need some speed on offense to offset that for 2010 and 2011

you always have to look ahead too

SDogo

Reaction score
CanuckCowboysFan;3309088 said:
like what ??

Just things I have been told by some people I know. There are certain teams around the NFL I have the luxury of knowing scouts, coaches, front office or media people from past and current adventures.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
SDogo;3309038 said:

Ya I highly doubt that. They just drafted Andre Smith. Plus they have Whitworth who is a really good RT and Anthony Collins gave them solid starts last year also.

They are pretty good at Tackle.

SDogo

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3309158 said:
Ya I highly doubt that. They just drafted Andre Smith. Plus they have Whitworth who is a really good RT and Anthony Collins gave them solid starts last year also.

They are pretty good at Tackle.

I think they believe differently, leaving Saffold out of it they have put a lot of their resources into scouting OL and the Bengals currently hold the smallest scouting staff in the NFL so for them to concentrate the amount of resources on one position speaks volumes.