CowboyJoe's Final PreCombine Mock 4th

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Ok, This is my final precombine draft before the combine starts on Thursday. Players in bold are players that the Cowboys looked at. Someone pointed out to me that I didnt fix the free safety need. So, with the cardinals releasing Rolle, the Cowboys sign him as their top FA. Antrel Rolle-DB- Cardinals Feb. 22 - 10:59 am et

Brian Biggane of the Palm Beach Post says the Dolphins could show interest in Antrel Rolle if the Cardinals indeed cut their starting free safety.

Gibril Wilson took a lot of the blame for the Dolphins' secondary issues last season, but the coaches haven't thrown him under the bus. He's still in danger of losing his roster spot. Rolle has said he'd love to play in Miami, but wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade as a cover safety or tackler.
Source: Palm Beach Post
Related: Gibril Wilson, Dolphins

1st Round; Mike Iupati OG 6'6" 330 Idaho. The Cowboys really wanted Earl Thomas here, but with the Cardinals letting their safety go today, the Cardinals take Earl Thomas.

2nd Round; Dexter McCluster RB 5'8" 165 Mississippi A source said here that the cowboys really liked McCluster.

3rd Round; Jason Fox OT 6'7" 314 Miami The cowboys make 3 rades here after they get McCluster. If Fox is gone they take OT Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale
They trade Barber for a 3rd and 7th rounder to San Diego. Then they trade Pat Mcquistan to the Dolphins for a conditional 6th if the cowboys cant take trade McQuistan they trade Holland or Duke Preston for the Dolphins pick, they also swap picks in 6th round the 176th pick in this swap.

3rd Round San Diego Trade; he Barber trade of a 3rd rounder from San Diego they also use their 7th rounder to move up 5 slots or so to acquire Jason Fox.
Then, with their other 3rd rounder they take Larry Assante; If Assante isnt Carlton Mitchell, WR, S. Florida... 6-4, 210 pounds, 4.45 40... rated 68th...

4th Round; Then with their own 4th rounder the Cowboys take Garrett Graham, TE/FB, Wisconsin... 6-3, 235 pounds, 4.7 40... rated 84th This move is to take the spot of Deon Anderson and to push M Bennett.

5th Round; With the 5th rounder in a trade, they take Torrell Troup, NT, Central Florida, 6'3", 315

6th Round; With the Cowboys 6th rounder they take Clifton Geathers* DE 6'8" 281 South Carolina. This was the move where the cowboys traded one of their backup offensive linemen to Miami to target Geathers.

7th Round; With the other 7th rounder they got in a trade they take Hunter Lawrence PK 6'0" 180 Texas. If Lawrence isnt there they take Leigh Tiffin K 6'1" 198 Alabama.

7th Round; With the Cowboys own 7th rounder they take Kelton Tindal, Newberry WR.

Reaction score
The only problem with this is that you dont solidify the free safety position exactly. Check out my mock and see how it is.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
TrueBeliever007;3284827 said:
The only problem with this is that you dont solidify the free safety position exactly. Check out my mock and see how it is.

I understant that, the dallas cowboys from what i have heard and read, really like earl thomas, their other cb that they want to turn into a safety is expected now to go late in the first round or early 2nd, way before the cowboys draft, so they take next best thing.

So, the cowboys try to regroup and by the time they do the top safeties are all gone. So, your stuck with always taking best player there. Now that the Cardinals released Rolle, I think this maybe the player they sign as a top FA. This will fix your safety need. How is that.

Reaction score
Antrel Rolle would be a big signing. How old, is he still good, will he fit. It would be sick if we signed himand drafted Myron Rolle

Bluefin

Reaction score
2nd Round; Dexter McCluster RB 5'8" 165 Mississippi A source said here that the cowboys really liked McCluster.

I love Dexter McCluster as a player, but it's hard to project him in the second round given his diminutive size.

Darren Sproles lasted to the fourth round, so I'd hope we can land Dex in the third.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
If we got Anterel Rolle, I'd flip out and be a lot less anxious going into the draft knowing oline would be the complete focus.

VACowboy

Reaction score
What's the max we can offer, per the uncapped season MBA rules?

Bluefin

Reaction score
VACowboy;3284977 said:
What's the max we can offer, per the uncapped season MBA rules?

The first year salary (bonus & base salary) can't be more than $5.5 million.

But any player who is released, which is what we're talking about with Antrel Rolle ($4 million upcoming roster bonus & $8 million base salary in '10), is not classified as an unrestricted free agent.

So we (& every other team) wouldn't have to worry about how the new free agency rules apply.