News: Cowboys’ Draft Trends

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys’ Draft Trends
by Marcus Mosher

http://www.footbology.com/cowboys-draft-trends/

One of the things I’ve always been fascinated with is how teams set their draft boards and the types of players that they draft. For some teams, the trends are obvious. For instance, Pete Carroll when he first entered the league with Seattle drafted a ton of players out of the Pac-12 conference, where he used to coach or play against. Bill Belichick has drafted many Urban Meyer and Greg Schiano coached players, because they run similar defensive systems and he is close with both coaching staffs. Every team has their own trends, so I believe it’s important to be self-aware as to your drafting style.

Today, we are going to examine some of the Cowboys possible draft trends. If you’ve been following the team closely, you already know a few of their trends. Dallas loves to trade down on draft day. They like taking high character players who have been captains on their college squads. They also don’t shy away from players with major injuries or lately, checkered pasts. But today, I want to dig a little deeper than that. I want to look at positions specific trends and the players they are looking at taking. It’ll make sense in a minute.

Before we start, I want to tell you how I am going to give you the information and the data. I have charted the measurables for every player drafted between the years 2010-2015 for the Dallas Cowboys at three different positions. But instead of just charting the raw numbers, I created a chart of how each player fares compared to the NFL league average. I did this using percentiles (higher the better, 5oth percentile is average). Got it? Let’s start...

Reactions: BAT

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
We don't draft QBs period..... Refuse to draft DTs in the first round.
Besides Bryant we haven't spent more than a 3rd on a WR in how many years? We waste 2nds on TEs...Waste 1sts on CBs... How many times have we seen Jerry get cute w/ trade downs only to end up w/ crap to show for it? We also have a pretty bad history of burning 2nds and 3rds on O-line that never pan out.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Thanks for the article CC, good read. But Mosher should not have been surprised that Cowboys draft DL that are UNDER the average weight. Marinelli just values speed/quickness/burst over size/mass. He's always been that way.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Thanks for the article CC, good read. But Mosher should not have been surprised that Cowboys draft DL that are UNDER the average weight. Marinelli just values speed/quickness/burst over size/mass. He's always been that way.

That has been a tendency, but like all tendencies, they are tweeked as the league changes.

In Marinelli's system, light was synonymous with speed and penetration. Today size and explosiveness is the difference in getting inside push and dominance. I'm hoping that these traits find their way into this year's defensive line.

Reactions: BAT

MikeT22

Reaction score
Trends? Does Jerry still have them act like he's important in the war room?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Late round 1-Techs that get abused or act like children and get cut..