Cowboys 10 Most Memorable Thanksgiving Day Games

plasticman

Reaction score
One of my most memorable games was the 1971 Thanksgiving game against the Rams, a good team.

The game started with Ike Thomas returning the opening kickoff for a TD.

The game was tied 21-21 going into the 4th quarter. the Cowboys won 28-21.

The Cowboys needed the win, the Commanders were only a half game behind.

Staubach completed 8 passes for 186 yards and 2 TD's

plasticman

Reaction score
By the way, I'm sure many of you have noticed that Dallas rarely gets their 10 day break these days after playing on Thanksgiving. Instead, they are scheduled back to back Thursday games.

I really didn't think this was fair because the Cowboys are already worn out from playing two games in 5 days. Now it's three games in 12 days.

However, after further review, the Cowboys are 7-1 when playing on the Thursday after Thanksgiving.

quickccc

Reaction score
My LIST: Most Memorable Cowboys Thanksgiving game:

1994 - Cowboys 42, Packers 31: Jason Garrett's comeback game

1993 - Dolphins 16, Cowboys 14: - Leon Lett big blunder in the snow

1998 - Vikings 46, Cowboys 36: - Randy Moss rookie revenge

1989 - Bounty Bowl Dallas vs Philly - Buddy Ryan vs Jimmie Johnson

2016 - Cowboys 31 Commanders -26 - Rookies Dak & Zeke debut Thanksgiving

quickccc

Reaction score
By the way, I'm sure many of you have noticed that Dallas rarely gets their 10 day break these days after playing on Thanksgiving. Instead, they are scheduled back to back Thursday games.

I really didn't think this was fair because the Cowboys are already worn out from playing two games in 5 days. Now it's three games in 12 days.

However, after further review, the Cowboys are 7-1 when playing on the Thursday after Thanksgiving.
I was looking to see if we knocked around that Joe Theismann and the Hogs & Fun Bunch on a Thanksgiving
game win at some time ... i just could not stand Washington back then ! !

They were far worse than even snotty Buddy Ryan.

797e82fb1131fd09c191c8fc2643d076.jpg

849b44e2c3e380acb5f932d68e448ddf.jpg

69b4ed8d2f6f3fd8682add5890bec180.jpg

plasticman

Reaction score
I was looking to see if we knocked around that Joe Theismann and the Hogs & Fun Bunch on a Thanksgiving
game win at some time ... i just could not stand Washington back then ! !

They were far worse than even snotty Buddy Ryan.

797e82fb1131fd09c191c8fc2643d076.jpg

849b44e2c3e380acb5f932d68e448ddf.jpg

69b4ed8d2f6f3fd8682add5890bec180.jpg
My nemesis was George Allen:

"...So one time in a meeting during Dallas week, all of a sudden we heard a GONG, ... and here came George (Allen), who was wearing his karate garb .... The whole locker room went crazy. We were shouting, 'GEORGE, GEORGE, GEORGE...' It was electric. He talked about Dallas week and how he wanted to fly to Dallas and meet Tom Landry at midfield and fight him, and if he could beat Landry, we would win. ....Now he had these boards with him, and these other guys were holding the boards. He was going to break two boards with his hands, and two others with his feet, and if he could break those boards, we were going to beat Dallas. The place was going nuts, chanting, 'GEORGE, GEORGE, GEORGE!' Now he started to warm up and was making all kinds of noises and taking deep breaths. It was unbelievable. All of a sudden he screamed, came down, and broke the two boards with his hands and the other two with his feet, and the place went nuts! ..."

- Rusty Tillman

Note:

And Tom would have flat whooped his az.

What most fans never realized was one of the most physically fit persons to walk on the field with the Dallas Cowboys was their HC. Also, he was not small.

Tom Landry was a former first team All-Pro CB with the New York Giants. He was 6'2 195 LBS and kept himself in great shape.

Before every training camp began for the Cowboys, Landry required each player to complete the "Landry Mile", a one mile obstacle course through different terrain and elevations. Many future Hall of Famers and Pro Bowlers couldn't complete this run. However, Landry led by example and he ran that mile with the team every season and he completed it every season.

offlimits

Reaction score

Yes, I have noticed. The league doesn't want Dallas to have an advantage with 10 days of rest.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
Yes, I have noticed. The league doesn't want Dallas to have an advantage with 10 days of rest.
The league was probably thinking that way, but it doesn’t make any sense. Now we get the 10 day break after the second Thursday game, which gives us a mini bye even closer to the start of the playoffs.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
My nemesis was George Allen:

"...So one time in a meeting during Dallas week, all of a sudden we heard a GONG, ... and here came George (Allen), who was wearing his karate garb .... The whole locker room went crazy. We were shouting, 'GEORGE, GEORGE, GEORGE...' It was electric. He talked about Dallas week and how he wanted to fly to Dallas and meet Tom Landry at midfield and fight him, and if he could beat Landry, we would win. ....Now he had these boards with him, and these other guys were holding the boards. He was going to break two boards with his hands, and two others with his feet, and if he could break those boards, we were going to beat Dallas. The place was going nuts, chanting, 'GEORGE, GEORGE, GEORGE!' Now he started to warm up and was making all kinds of noises and taking deep breaths. It was unbelievable. All of a sudden he screamed, came down, and broke the two boards with his hands and the other two with his feet, and the place went nuts! ..."

- Rusty Tillman

Note:

And Tom would have flat whooped his az.

What most fans never realized was one of the most physically fit persons to walk on the field with the Dallas Cowboys was their HC. Also, he was not small.

Tom Landry was a former first team All-Pro CB with the New York Giants. He was 6'2 195 LBS and kept himself in great shape.

Before every training camp began for the Cowboys, Landry required each player to complete the "Landry Mile", a one mile obstacle course through different terrain and elevations. Many future Hall of Famers and Pro Bowlers couldn't complete this run. However, Landry led by example and he ran that mile with the team every season and he completed it every season.
Do you remember the American Express commercial where Tom walks into a saloon in a classic Western trenchcoat and cowboy hat and is surrounded by Indians?

I hated them too.

Then I switched to hating the Eagles in the 90's. Then I really hated the Giants in the 2000's. Now I hate our owner but most of all I hate that I have to feel like that but he leaves me no choice.

Jipper

Reaction score
Did anyone else see they said that in 2016 they went on to lose to GB in the Dez caught it game....wow do they not proof read these?

plasticman

Reaction score
Do you remember the American Express commercial where Tom walks into a saloon in a classic Western trenchcoat and cowboy hat and is surrounded by Indians?

I hated them too.

Then I switched to hating the Eagles in the 90's. Then I really hated the Giants in the 2000's. Now I hate our owner but most of all I hate that I have to feel like that but he leaves me no choice.
I hate the 49ers.

I despise the Eagles

I loathe the Washington Whatevers.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Little me lost it when Drew caught the winning TD. :omg:

My favorite for a bunch pf reasons, number 1 being I won 25 cents from my uncle the Giants fan. I was 13 years old.

links18

Reaction score
Romo's first Thanksgiving game: 5 TD passes in a romp over the Bucs.