CFZ Cowboys 2022 season meeting expectations

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know everyone is disappointed in how we have played in recent weeks . But I believe this season has met most expectations heading into year.

And why just making the playoffs in consecutive seasons for the first time since 2006-07 could be the achievement especially considering most felt this was more of a retooling year after making some tough Cap moves lessening the talent pool on a roster that won the division last year.

Most sound analysts and fans felt winning 10 games and vying for a playoff spot was a reasonable goal. That our success in 2022 pended on our defense improving since our offense could have been lessened with Cap moves.

Who thought after losing Prescott to injury in opener our season had a shot at doing much. But here we are. Looks like we will have met the expectations.

And while we haven’t won a road playoff game since 1992 season I think most feel we have a reasonable opportunity since we could most likely be facing a losing record team from the South division in which we could possibly be favored.

I think we could argue 2022 given the expectations coming in which appear to be fairly accurate and how it has unfolded could be considered moving in the right direction. It could raise expectations even higher for 2023 seeking our 3rd consecutive playoff season for the first time since our 90’s run.

foofighters

Reaction score
I know everyone is disappointed in how we have played in recent weeks . But I believe this season has met most expectations heading into year.

And why just making the playoffs in consecutive seasons for the first time since 2006-07 could be the achievement especially considering most felt this was more of a retooling year after making some tough Cap moves lessening the talent pool on a roster that won the division last year.

Most sound analysts and fans felt winning 10 games and vying for a playoff spot was a reasonable goal. That our success in 2022 pended on our defense improving since our offense could have been lessened with Cap moves.

Who thought after losing Prescott to injury in opener our season had a shot at doing much. But here we are. Looks like we will have met the expectations.

And while we haven’t won a road playoff game since 1992 season I think most feel we have a reasonable opportunity since we could most likely be facing a losing record team from the South division in which we could possibly be favored.

I think we could argue 2022 given the expectations coming in which appear to be fairly accurate and how it has unfolded could be considered moving in the right direction. It could raise expectations even higher for 2023 seeking our 3rd consecutive playoff season for the first time since our 90’s run.
exceeded by a lot. When Dak went down, I ALMOST sold my tickets to the Vikings game in Minny. Boy, am I glad I didn't do that!!!

baltcowboy

Reaction score

No one on this board or the mediots believe that. If the Cowboys don’t win a Super Bowl it will be a disappointment. It is what it is. The Cowboys are in the playoffs and ESPN is calling the Cowboys soft for losing two OT road games.:laugh::facepalm:

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
That was the standard in previous eras but not this one . This is not the same franchise most of us grew up with.
I think he meant standard of expectations. And I'll tell you something, they are mine too. There is absolutely no excuse for them not even making an NFCCG in the last twentysomething years. This is just embarrassing. And just because Dak went down and the team exceeded expectations with Cooper doesn't mean that I will celebrate them reaching the play offs. That simply means NOTHING and never meant anything. Probably a young developing team can use reg seasons wins to measure if they are getting closer. But the Cowboys just scream "irrelevance" even in an 12-5 season. January is where it's at.

Now this loss doesn't even change the play off picture, so why care? Because the inconsistency shown over the last two games is what will send us home early in the play offs once again. They need to get that fixed. And I really don't know why Dak is even in the discussion here. He did his usual "not great but good overall", we were leading by a mile. The defense totally collapsed when they were leading big for no apparent reason. Yes the first interception was a disaster, but we didn't lose the game because of it.

Where are the sounds from the sidelines by the way after a loss? Just wondering...

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The expectations were to win in January. The season has had ups and downs. They always do. But W's in January is the standard for the Dallas Cowboys.
W's in January is not the standard.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
My hope was to make it to the NFC Championship game.
My expectation was for a wild card slot and a loss in the first round of the playoffs. Looks like things are right on schedule there.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I really didn't know what to expect before the season started. After Tampa I thought maybe squeak into a wildcard spot. After Minny I thought maybe this team can make some noise. After the last few weeks, I'm back to not knowing what to expect. All in all, I think the team was better than expected, but no depth on D has bitten them in the behind.

cnuball21

Reaction score
My concerns heading into the seasons weren’t really addressed in FA and those concerns are the same heading into the platoffs.

This team has exceeded my expectations this year.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

The majority of people (myself included) on this board thought this was a 9-10 win team at best and after Prescott got hurt, a 6-7 win team at best.

To be in position to finish with upwards of 12 wins is an overachievement and should be viewed as such. This is a team that has exceeded expectations based on all of the outgoing talent from last year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It sure as hell is.

And that is still the standard. Winning a game or two in the playoffs isn't.
Sorry but it shouldn’t be the standard anymore .

This franchise has been reduced as such under Jethro this era .

Obviously not everyone has adjusted their expectations to the mediocre football franchise we have become.

Shane612

Reaction score
I stopped having expectation 20 years ago.
Whatever happens happens.
"Que sera sera..."

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sorry but it shouldn’t be the standard anymore .

This franchise has been reduced as such under Jethro this era .

Obviously not everyone has adjusted their expectations to the mediocre football franchise we have become.
Even Cleveland Browns fans go into the season expecting a SB. I don't think anyone sits here and says "Well......I just want to make the playoffs"....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The majority of people (myself included) on this board thought this was a 9-10 win team at best and after Prescott got hurt, a 6-7 win team at best.

To be in position to finish with upwards of 12 wins is an overachievement and should be viewed as such. This is a team that has exceeded expectations based on all of the outgoing talent from last year.
No doubt . Totally agree.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Even Cleveland Browns fans go into the season expecting a SB. I don't think anyone sits here and says "Well......I just want to make the playoffs"....
No, Brown fans don’t have those type of expectations. Neither do most of the league .

There’s always aspirations and hope but most logical fans base their expectations on recent history and trends.

Because of our prior championship history we still have some fans carrying the torch . But it’s been long flamed out over almost 3 decades now.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No doubt . Totally agree.

It's funny, most of the people that said this team sucked and would not even make the playoffs this year (LOTS of posters on this board in the record prediction thread. There are receipts) are now saying this team sucks and will be viewed as a failure if they don't make it to the NFC Championship Game. The moving goalposts are insane.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, Brown fans don’t have those type of expectations. Neither do most of the league .

There’s always aspirations and hope but most logical fans base their expectations on recent history and trends.

Because of our prior championship history we still have some fans carrying the torch . But it’s been long flamed out over almost 3 decades now.
I disagree. The NFL is full of parity. You can literally go from worst to the best. Most NFL fans know this.