News: Cowboys and the Election’s End Could Revive NFL Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtycallahan

Reaction score
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/dallas-cowboys-elections-nfl-ratings-1201920764/

The NFL needs the cowboys to bring back the ratings.

"But even if ratings continue to rebound, NFL broadcasters still have a daunting hole to dig themselves out of. Their best hope may be the Cowboys, whose Fox game against the Steelers drove the week 10 resurgence. The team has a large national fan base, and its 8-1 run behind rookie quarterback Dak Prescott has emerged as the big story of the season. Their seven remaining games are spread among all four NFL broadcasters — one on CBS, one on ESPN, three on Fox, and two on NBC — making them universal benefactors."

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Mara and his shadowy drive to get Zeke declared public enemy #1 by the NFL might have to wait or even dropped (as it should be). If not, the NFL is stupid.

And yes, I do believe Mara is the main force behind the witch hunt even though I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Perhaps not having 50 penalty flags per game and 300 commercials by halftime might help.
I completely agree. The thing they really need to stop is taking a commercial break after a kick-off. Other commercial breaks don't tend to bother me much. It really is a pointless time to take a commercial break, because kickoffs have really lost a bunch of appeal. It was different when you knew some was gonna get lite up on everyone.

On another note though, NFL ratings should be at an all time high by the end of this season. Pit, NE, DAL, and OAK are all gonna be in the mix come playoff time. When was the last time OAK and DAL were in the playoffs together.....?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Mara and his shadowy drive to get Zeke declared public enemy #1 by the NFL might have to wait or even dropped (as it should be). If not, the NFL is stupid.

And yes, I do believe Mara is the main force behind the witch hunt even though I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.
I agree as well. This should have been dead a long time ago. Especially after the texts of her telling her friends to lie to the police were released to the public

Zordon

Reaction score
So what is our reward for saving the league? More phantom holding calls?

Lakers, Yankees, Manchester United, Real Madrid do not get treated with this much disrespect.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And instead of doofus commentary educate fans about the complexities and strategies of the game (e.g. pass was incomplete because the QB saw this and read the defense this way while the WR saw this and took the pattern this way).
The only guy who does that consistently is Collinsworth, and he takes a ton of grief for reasons I cannot fathom.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
So what is our reward for saving the league? More phantom holding calls?

Lakers, Yankees, Manchester United, Real Madrid do not get treated with this much disrespect.

As a United fan, I disagree with you the past couple years! Seems like we have a ton of dumb calls go against us and refs have it out for the team.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Perhaps not having 50 penalty flags per game and 300 commercials by halftime might help.
I would have to say the defensive holding call against DBs are the most egregious. If its close, they need to let it go. Call it when it is blatant defensive holding.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have to say the defensive holding call against DBs are the most egregious. If its close, they need to let it go. Call it when it is blatant defensive holding.
Yep. The rule changes a few years back are the problem. The NFL changed the rules to favor the WR's and "make the game more exciting" by having more offense. It's backfired miserably as far as I'm concerned. The game is not all about offense and scoring.

Reaction score

We need to get Wikileaks on this,,,

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Yep. The rule changes a few years back are the problem. The NFL changed the rules to favor the WR's and "make the game more exciting" by having more offense. It's backfired miserably as far as I'm concerned. The game is not all about offense and scoring.
Right. They thought DBs would adapt and let receivers just run free. Instead, the game is slowed down tremendously because of the ridiculous amount of penalty flags. You also can't enjoy a big play because you are concerned about some borderline holding call down the field that doesn't even affect the play.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I completely agree. The thing they really need to stop is taking a commercial break after a kick-off. Other commercial breaks don't tend to bother me much. It really is a pointless time to take a commercial break, because kickoffs have really lost a bunch of appeal. It was different when you knew some was gonna get lite up on everyone.

On another note though, NFL ratings should be at an all time high by the end of this season. Pit, NE, DAL, and OAK are all gonna be in the mix come playoff time. When was the last time OAK and DAL were in the playoffs together.....?

Yeah, when Dallas' is on, I usually switch to the game mix channel on Sunday ticket during the commercials and switch back when I see the game come back. However, when they're doing the kickoffs, I just leave it on the game mix because I know it is going right back to commercial (usually after a touchback).

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Closing this because we do not allow political comments here of any kind and some people ...

Status
Not open for further replies.