CFZ Cowboys backup OL plan

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's weird to say this, but after the first two preseason games, I feel that Josh Ball will be the primary game-day backup. Ball has played well at guard (going against starters) in the first two preseason games. He's looked much better than he did last year at tackle.

The other options on the roster for the swing spot are Edoga (who has some history of playing well at guard but poorly at tackle) or Richards (who has played well at tackle, but is a rookie, and that showed in the open practice yesterday going against Parsons and Williams with the first-team offense). Of course, we could bring in someone like Peters, but I don't think we'll do that unless we lose someone like Tyron for a period of time.

Essentially what we'll do, I believe, if a guard or tackle is injured during a game is insert Ball at the guard spot. If it's a tackle who's injured, Tyler would kick out to left tackle and Martin would kick out to right tackle. We haven't seen Ball playing tackle this summer, so I don't think he's an option there even as a backup. We could end up doing the same thing with Edoga, though, if we trust him more at guard than Ball.

Most likely, Matt Farniok will be the game-day backup at center because he's the best of our options there and hasn't looked bad at center. (His struggles against starters came at guard.)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ball had a couple of really outstanding plays at ROT against Seattle. I know he is a whipping boy around here but his play is better than the perception of his play. Definitely improved.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think if its LT injury Richards steps in and don't rule out Bass as RG
I don't think it would be a good plan to rely on those rookies. I think both are promising, but go watch the practice footage from yesterday. Our veteran pass rushers made them look bad at times.

They are ahead of where Ball was last year (which is a good thing), but may be a little behind where he is this year.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Ball had a couple of really outstanding plays at ROT against Seattle. I know he is a whipping boy around here but his play is better than the perception of his play. Definitely improved.
He didn't play RT. He played RG. Waletzko played RT and when he got hurt, they brought in Taylor.

Gambit

Reaction score
I don't think it would be a good plan to rely on those rookies. I think both are promising, but go watch the practice footage from yesterday. Our veteran pass rushers made them look bad at times.

They are ahead of where Ball was last year (which is a good thing), but may be a little behind where he is this year.
I'm not saying it's a great plan, just that it's likely to be what happens. We have no proven depth for either T or G spot.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Ball has been playing good. The tape has shown it past two games.
Frankly, I'd put him at LG and Bass at RG in this next game (and skip over the Hoffman experiment), or vice versa, with Farniok at C for most of the game and see how they do. We need to see more tape. Of course, I'd also have Richards at LT and Waletzko at RT, if he's healthy, and roll with that line to give them a chance to sink or swim. If Waletzko is out and Edoga is back, I'd go with Edoga at RT (if Edoga is back, I'd actually go with him at RT ahead of Waletzko because I think Waletzko has made it clear that he's a work in progress at this point).

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's weird to say this, but after the first two preseason games, I feel that Josh Ball will be the primary game-day backup. Ball has played well at guard (going against starters) in the first two preseason games. He's looked much better than he did last year at tackle.

The other options on the roster for the swing spot are Edoga (who has some history of playing well at guard but poorly at tackle) or Richards (who has played well at tackle, but is a rookie, and that showed in the open practice yesterday going against Parsons and Williams with the first-team offense). Of course, we could bring in someone like Peters, but I don't think we'll do that unless we lose someone like Tyron for a period of time.

Essentially what we'll do, I believe, if a guard or tackle is injured during a game is insert Ball at the guard spot. If it's a tackle who's injured, Tyler would kick out to left tackle and Martin would kick out to right tackle. We haven't seen Ball playing tackle this summer, so I don't think he's an option there even as a backup. We could end up doing the same thing with Edoga, though, if we trust him more at guard than Ball.

Most likely, Matt Farniok will be the game-day backup at center because he's the best of our options there and hasn't looked bad at center. (His struggles against starters came at guard.)
We are in big trouble then.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Its more like, the Seattle game was the ONLY game where he finally didnt look completely lost in the NFL.

The perception is justified. Its up to Ball to change that perception by continuing to play well.

Personally, Im not buying it.

Stardog

Reaction score
I don’t
Its more like, the Seattle game was the ONLY game where he finally didnt look completely lost in the NFL.

The perception is justified. Its up to Ball to change that perception by continuing to play well.

Personally, Im not buying it.
I hear you they guy may fall flat on his face. Time will tell. Going by the tape he’s played two solid games in a row. (Against starters) Fingers crossed it continues.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He didn't play RT. He played RG. Waletzko played RT and when he got hurt, they brought in Taylor.
Sounds like Waletzko tried to play with the injury. So he probably should be getting more slack on his poor play.

Stardog

Reaction score
Frankly, I'd put him at LG and Bass at RG in this next game (and skip over the Hoffman experiment), or vice versa, with Farniok at C for most of the game and see how they do. We need to see more tape. Of course, I'd also have Richards at LT and Waletzko at RT, if he's healthy, and roll with that line to give them a chance to sink or swim. If Waletzko is out and Edoga is back, I'd go with Edoga at RT (if Edoga is back, I'd actually go with him at RT ahead of Waletzko because I think Waletzko has made it clear that he's a work in progress at this point).
Agree on Hoffman he’s been terrible. Both games seemed like LG and RT were the issues. Agree on Bass would be nice to see him gets snaps against first stringers.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Still believe the team adds another depth piece. Think they want Edoka as their swing and Farniok as their interior backup. Ball probably ahead of Richards if they dress another

gimmesix

Reaction score
Sounds like Waletzko tried to play with the injury. So he probably should be getting more slack on his poor play.
He was playing poorly against Seattle, though, before he hurt the shoulder.

rambo2

Reaction score

The Cowboys have the best pass rush in football. They should make the rookies look bad.