Recap: Cowboys Coaches Media Monday - Jets Game and looking forward to Cardinals

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Probably the best Coach PCs since Parcells/Payton/Zimmer. No one teaches and plays the media game quite like the Tuna, but a wealth of knowledge if you love football. Really enjoying this Coach Crew.

COACH MAC - Head Coach
  • CeeDee Lamb's evolution? Do you move him like you did Jordy Nelson?
    • It's a must. We want all our guys to move around for match-ups and tendencies. CeeDee really evolved last year.
  • CeeDee 15 receptions on 17 targets.
    • High level of efficiency. We still push ball distribution, but we played the game the way we felt we needed to play it.
  • Pollard 25 carries. How do you know he can handle that?
    • Tony has always shown incredible endurance and played through injury. Some of his most impressive feats yesterday were protection. We tried him on the perimeter in the 4th but execution wasn't there. When he gets in the second level, he's always dangerous.
  • You know he can do it, but can his body handle it?
    • I just had this conversation with Britt Brown. (Cowboys trainer) Had situation like this with Green Bay and practiced too hard and had fatigue injury, so I am very aware of it and we are conscientious of it in prep.
  • Shariff Floyd?
    • I wasn't there when it happened. We took high level caution. He works from home today, and we'll check on him tomorrow.
  • How do you think you did as OC? Any horse %#*$# playcalling, as you put it?
    • There's always plays that keep you up at night. Had the one play down there in tight red. I called it too fast, was in tempo mode. Wasn't right call on 6-yard line. I was also told I'm holding the card too far from my face. I used to hold it high and tight, so I have work to do. If you're north of 3, it's not where you want to be.
  • Micah outside and inside?
    • Give Quinn credit. It's part of the chess match. You want to create one-on-one but more important how they act to it.
  • Micah changes way he attacks blockers?
    • I think Micah has improved EVERY asset of his game. Came back stronger. Not only does he understand what he's doing but how it affects entire scheme.
  • Zack update?
    • Won't practice Wednesday. Saw him today. We'll see how he is Thursday. Will have opportunity to play Sunday.
  • How did Bass look?
    • Did good. Welcome to the NFL, right? I thought both our young guys at left guard and right guard did well. Great experience for them.
  • That play where Tyler Biadasz recovers fumble?
    • He's a great example of being coachable. Two games in a row huge plays.
  • Upgrading run defense was huge priority. How proud are you of team not allowing more 9 yards any RB on Jets?
    • When you establish yourself, people will attack you a certain way. And it's been established for our team on the run. Our guys have tremendous pride and had another excellent week. Another important part is win the tackling battle. On our side, we broke 12 tackles on our offense. It's all about fundamentals.
  • Dak?
    • Tremendous work ethic. Connects to his perimeter group and knows expectations. Off to a good start and liked the way he played. Some of his foot work is different but the basis is the same. When I first got here, sat down with Kellen and developed a footwork profile. Been doing it same since 1989.
  • Red Zone? Do we appreciate the Jets?
    • They have a talented front line. But it's hard to go against, so give our players credit. You have to be comfortable converting 3rd downs. Plays we struggled on were because 2nd down was not as productive. You have to put the ball in the end zone. Jets were only one score away at one point. You have to make big plays in this league.
  • Jourdan Lewis
    • We hit the playtime mark for him. Another excellent player on a great defense. He brings so much to our locker room. He wants to play more, but we'll work him in.
COACH QUINN - Defensive Coordinator
  • Opening
    • Before I begin, want to say I was very impresed with how our team came out in the second half. There were a lot of upset players in that locker room about allowing the TD and FG. Proud of the interceptions, Hooker and Kearse. We put so much on them and always communicating with them. They may not get much credit outside the building, but inside they do.
  • With Parsons able to go from every spot, how much has it changed your gameplan?
    • He and others have pushed me to find things a player can do. A friend of mine told me he could predict where Parsons was on the 3 Dlinemen and it was a challenge to me. Moving LVE and others now too. Forced me to push myself.
  • How do you plan? Your team or opponent?
    • You start with opponent but come back to yourself. Going into Jets, run game was big focus. They have exceptional running backs. We knew had to be on point in tackling. They have 2 guys that can take it all the way if you miss a tackle.
  • You've been around great players, does Micah take your breath away?
    • He worked his arse off this offseason. As I looked around room in TC, I could point out specific things all these players had improved by themselves.
  • His Speed?
    • He is unique in his 0-60. It's his superpowers. On full display when we blitz and chase.
  • Micah injury?
    • He's doing well, see him tomorrow.
  • Do you take it personally on run defense?
    • No offense to you but we do not listen to outside dialogue at all. We knew we had to be across the board to stop it. One of the fun things coaching this crew is the standards they hold each other to. Our halftime was a great example.
  • How much is offense affecting you?
    • Our offense played fantastic. We were fresh each time. So many key 3rd down conversions from them. So yes it has improved run defense.
  • Osa?
    • I use the term counter-punching. I had seen him before get stuck in situations in TC. We worked on it a lot. When a guy is oversetting how do I throw my rip back the other way. How does that transfer into football? He's playing lower and faster, and sets someone up now and comes back other way. Even as a rookie, he was one of the maturest players on the roster. Very few mistakes. His physical developmen too, he is much stronger and added that himself.
  • Fewer than 50 defensive snaps, how does that change rotation?
    • Our guys fight to get in. Always telling me on the sideline. Good competitive group and rolls hard every week.
  • Jacksonville game. There was big let up at end. Micah talked about it and not being happy. How did that affect your guys?
    • Our guys want to be finishers. That accountability is happening now from the players with each other. Preparation is key. Put every single bit of work in so by Sunday it's not an issue.
  • Have players raised bar weekly what they expect?
    • It started in offseason. Everytime our friends or family watched, we wanted them to leave practice saying we played out. If we don't see it, we point it out to each other. Competition with the guys on who will get first pick, first big hit. they push themselves
  • Demarcus Lawrence?
    • There's a level that you can do where he's playing at different spots. When he can do that at different spaces, that's what sets him and other guys apart. His awareness and getting piece of ball, he has really improved on that anywhere on the defensive line. Give him credit for accepting this role. You can overplay your hand from one direction. But we have such a big versatile group, we can counter it. You haven't seen it all yet.
Didn't transcribe, but here are links for same PCs for OC Schottenheimer and ST Coach Bones.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Rep for the work and Cliff Notes to the OP (@Vaquero).

That last tidbit by Dan Quinn is such a tease. I'm waiting to see more of this defense. Here's the teaser:

" You can overplay your hand from one direction. But we have such a big versatile group, we can counter it. You haven't seen it all yet."

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Quick question because the game wasn't broadcast in our area... MM mentions "... both our young guys at left guard and right guard did well"

Who came in at RG?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
TJ Bass for Martin. Martin hurt his ankle
Was it Bass both sides? Did Edoga come back? Bass had that one whiff play at first at LG but then settled down pretty quickly so stopped paying attention.