cowboys compared to lions

dirt

Reaction score
the lions have made the playoffs for the first time since 1999. after years of abject futility and mismanagement this is a dangerous although extremely unlikeable squad
The cowboys are mired in a dismal stretch of lack of success in late season and playoffs...what is the difference?
The lions played the chargers with a tremendous amount of desire....players like Bakus who had never played in a playoff game played their butts off
And we look at the past few games where the Cowboys much like other years when there is something on the line, manage to choke it away

Lions management have set about to dispel the culture of losing by creating a bad boys team like the pistons. It seems every game there is some kind of incident that makes you cringe. Witness the scuffle before the Chargers game. Their coach is a world class delta bravo. They have players that delight in stepping over the line like Suh, public opinion be damned.
I am not sure if this attitude is going to ultimately harm them as opposing teams deal out their own justice in the future
BUT....i would give anything to see the Cowboys play the Giants with that kind of intensity, that kind of undeniable want, that hunger.
Garrett has changed the culture to some degree but I think there is still a core of players like Newman that play with fear of failure or maybe fear of success?
I dont know what the answer is but it seems like the Lions have a plan for the future whereas the Cowboys seem not to. The Lions identified building a strong defensive front that can exert pressure that covers up weakness in the secondary. This year they identified and added good tackling linebackers.
What is the identity of the Cowboys defense? It shouldnt be Rob Ryan!
I would hope that someone in Cowboys management has a plan for the defense and carries it out in the upcoming two years or so while Romo is still on top of his game. I think with Demarco Murray, the offense has developed a personality but I am so sick of this defense!!!!!

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Lions drafted top 3 for how many years? You can't compare their strategy to the Cowboys. With picks that high, the Cowboys would've stumbled upon success too. As far as the bad boy thing, our players are flagged for sneezing. No way in hell they would be allowed to behave like the Lions. The punishments would be much steeper.

dirt

Reaction score
I agree they have drafted high for many years but until only recently have those picks panned out.
I am more impressed by the complimentary players like the Titus Youngs, signing free agents like Tulloch, Van den Bosch who bring an attitude
I hate the bad boy image they are trying to portray and think it will ultimately back fire on them. Case in point..Bears game this year where Fairley tried to injure Cutler. The Bears targeted Megatron and just blasted him every chance they got.
Just like that movie where Sean Connery says and I paraphrase "they bring a knife, we bring a gun etc etc..they injure one of us, we send one of theirs to the morgue" or something like that
I crave a defense that sends a statement. The Eagles have been like that for years. As a fan, I fear their pass rush
What do opponents fear from the Dallas defense other than D Ware?

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They really don't fear nice guy Ware either. I love him as a football player and as a man, but I wish he'd stop helping opposing players up. Also, teams know he is the only threat on defense (Lee is still developing).

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Yes. And the Cowboys have to get some defensive players with attitude.
Someone to stick the opponent and not worry about it.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
The Cowboys have no plan? :facepalm:

We're in year 1 of a rebuilding process under a new administration with no offseason to help in the rebuilding, yet we're playing for a playoff berth.

The Lions on the other hand are in like year 3 of their rebuilding process (their year 1 comes nowhere near Dalass' in comparrison) and they finally defaulted into the playoffs because the Bears collapsed due to injury.

And the basis of this thread is to point out how much better the Lions are to Dallas because they have a plan and how Dalals does not?

Dounble :facepalm: :facepalm:

visionary

Reaction score
you can come up with a thousand small reasons for the difference but the one big difference is

the lions got rid of their fake GM (Matt Millen) and a real GM turned things around in a couple of years with good coaching and personnel moves

we are still making excuses for our fake GM

that is it in a nutshell

visionary

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;4337133 said:
The Cowboys have no plan? :facepalm:

We're in year 1 of a rebuilding process under a new administration with no offseason to help in the rebuilding, yet we're playing for a playoff berth.

The Lions on the other hand are in like year 3 of their rebuilding process (their year 1 comes nowhere near Dalass' in comparrison) and they finally defaulted into the playoffs because the Bears collapsed due to injury.

And the basis of this thread is to point out how much better the Lions are to Dallas because they have a plan and how Dalals does not?

Dounble :facepalm: :facepalm:

when u say "new administration" u make it sound so important, like there were huge changes

actually

the GM is the same
the OC became the HC
the OC is the same
the DC is new

so really, only one new person in this "new administration"

these are just excuses

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;4335255 said:
They really don't fear nice guy Ware either. I love him as a football player and as a man, but I wish he'd stop helping opposing players up. Also, teams know he is the only threat on defense (Lee is still developing).

Lee may still be developing, but he's already one of the best linebackers in the league. He's without question a threat.

zack

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4337148 said:
Lee may still be developing, but he's already one of the best linebackers in the league. He's without question a threat.

Smoke and mirrors for the Lions.

Defense is highly overrated. They have won many games that they shouldn't have...Dallas, Minnesota, Oakland.

No running game, decent QB, great WR.

Terrible secondary.

They can be beaten badly.

If they play the Saints, they will be embarrassed again.

How in the world has it taken this team so long to make the playoffs with the number of first round picks they have had. I am originally from Detroit, so I am hard on this team.

Frozen700

Reaction score
hipfake08;4337086 said:
Yes. And the Cowboys have to get some defensive players with attitude.
Someone to stick the opponent and not worry about it.

We had that with Roy Williams

But he changed on us