CFZ Cowboys comparisons of 12 win teams in franchise history

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We have many fans wanting to place historical context with his current team with consecutive 12 win seasons without more success in the playoffs . So I thought I’d provide some comparisons to other Cowboys teams with similar records in consecutive seasons .

The first time the Cowboys ran together two similar successful consecutive seasons without a deeper run in the playoffs was 1968 and 1969.

We went 12-2 and 11-2-1 respectively losing in 1st round of playoffs both times to the Browns .The difference is we had just come off two NFL title losses to Packers and would reach the Super Bowl the following 2 seasons.

The Cowboys have had several other similar consecutive 12 win or double digit consecutive seasons but they produced much success in the playoffs .

1977 &1978 consecutive 12 win seasons resulted in 2 SB appearances.

1980 & 1981 consecutive 12 win seasons resulted in 2 NFC champ appearances

1992 , 1993, 1994, 1995 4 consecutive 12+ win seasons resulted in 4 champ game appearances and 3 Super Bowls

Cowboys also had 3 double digit win season from 1970-1973 which resulted in 4 consecutive NFC Champ games and 2 Super Bowls

1975-1981 Cowboys had 7 consecutive double digit win season which resulted in 5 NFC Champ game appearances and 3 Super Bowls.

We shall see what the next couple seasons bring us but if we don’t have any more success in the playoffs this could be the most successful regular season team in Cowboys history without advancing further in the playoffs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dallas_Cowboys_seasons

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure if 'many fans' is accurate but a few have.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for the link.
That looks very similar to my own spreadsheet I created 30 years ago. And keep it updated. They do have some additional info though.
I have year, record, where they placed and and playoff record, but not who they played.
As to mine I also keep the coaches records, regular season, playoffs and total of the two.

rambo2

Reaction score
We have many fans wanting to place historical context with his current team with consecutive 12 win seasons without more success in the playoffs . So I thought I’d provide some comparisons to other Cowboys teams with similar records in consecutive seasons .

The first time the Cowboys ran together two similar successful consecutive seasons without a deeper run in the playoffs was 1968 and 1969.

We went 12-2 and 11-2-1 respectively losing in 1st round of playoffs both times to the Browns .The difference is we had just come off two NFL title losses to Packers and would reach the Super Bowl the following 2 seasons.

The Cowboys have had several other similar consecutive 12 win or double digit consecutive seasons but they produced much success in the playoffs .

1992 , 1993, 1994, 1995 4 consecutive 12+ win seasons resulted in 4 champ game appearances and 3 Super Bowls

Cowboys also had 3 double digit win season from 1970-1973 which resulted in 4 consecutive NFC Champ games and 2 Super Bowls

1975-1981 Cowboys had 7 consecutive double digit win season which resulted in 5 NFC Champ game appearances and 3 Super Bowls.

We shall see what the next couple seasons bring us but if we don’t have any more success in the playoffs this could be the most successful regular season team in Cowboys history without advancing further in the playoffs.

A good shot to have their 3rd 12 win season in a row this year

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

I get the point your trying to show but just as we have to seperate player stats and such from the new era to old i think the smae context apply's here, if you take out the Patriots run (Chiefs are looking kinda similar) would the variaty of teams that go deep in the playoffs each year be much more diverse now than it was then? Obviously the diference is the cap and to me its working as intended... having continued success over multiple years is harder now than it was back then but its easier to come up from the bottom now than it was back then. could be wrong have not even put any research into it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
With more success in playoffs would be outstanding.
Of course but from a more critical point of view they are already the first consecutive 12 win team in Cowboys history not to at least make a championship game.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Of course but from a more critical point of view they are already the first consecutive 12 win team in Cowboys history not to at least make a championship game.
but going by that kind of logic Dak is a top 2 QB for Dallas ever because the numbers say so....context matters, there is no doubt in anyones mind that those no cap era teams were way more complete teams than the teams today and they only had a couple of teams in the NFL that were really competition in the playoffs.

rambo2

Reaction score
1 score away. Hopefully, they go undefeated in the playoffs this year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
but going by that kind of logic Dak is a top 2 QB for Dallas ever because the numbers say so....context matters, there is no doubt in anyones mind that those no cap era teams were way more complete teams than the teams today and they only had a couple of teams in the NFL that were really competition in the playoffs.
All you can be is the best of your era. And that era had several top teams as well.

Everyone in the NFL has the same Cap to deal with but yet we are in a small category of teams which have failed to reach a championship game since our last one.

If this current team is unable to reach that then it’s going to set a franchise futility mark especially with consecutive 12 win seasons. That’s all this thread is about.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
1 score away. Hopefully, they go undefeated in the playoffs this year.
Yes, let’s hope so. All I can do at this time is report on the current results and historical comparisons in franchise history. As those change or updated it will allow new data.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
All you can be is the best of your era. And that era had several top teams as well.

Everyone in the NFL has the same Cap to deal with but yet we are in a small category of teams which have failed to reach a championship game since our last one.

If this current team is unable to reach that then it’s going to set a franchise futility mark especially with consecutive 12 win seasons. That’s all this thread is about.
probably be better to compare them to other back to back 12 win teams in this era, your point would be easier made for me anyway... I had no delusions this team was like the 90's, 70's Cowboys..

rambo2

Reaction score
Yes, let’s hope so. All I can do at this time is report on the current results and historical comparisons in franchise history. As those change or updated it will allow new data.
Yes, after this year we probably will be looking at the 12 wins in a row over a 3 year period.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, after this year we probably will be looking at the 12 wins in a row over a 3 year period.
And without more success in playoffs it will be our greatest futility streak with 12 wins in Cowboy history .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
probably be better to compare them to other back to back 12 win teams in this era, your point would be easier made for me anyway... I had no delusions this team was like the 90's, 70's Cowboys..
You’re welcome to present that argument. I’d be curious to see those comparisons.

My hunch is there hasn’t been any other consecutive 12 win teams this era without more playoff success. But I’d like to see.