Cowboys complete coaching staff; who will call plays?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cowboys complete coaching staff; who will call plays?
Associated Press
Article Launched: 03/01/2007 09:41:21 AM MST

IRVING, Texas -- Assistant head coach Tony Sparano helped call plays for Dallas last season, but former Cowboys quarterback Jason Garrett is the offensive coordinator now.

Both demurred Thursday when asked who will be in charge next season, although new coach Wade Phillips said he's made up his mind. It'll be Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo.

"Romo's going to call all the plays," Phillips joked.

Phillips' good mood Thursday had a lot to do with completing his staff by hiring former San Diego secondary coach Brian Stewart as his defensive coordinator. Stewart spent the previous three seasons under Phillips, who was the Chargers' defensive coordinator before replacing retired Cowboys coach Bill Parcells last month.

"It's about football now," Phillips said. "We don't have to worry about putting a staff together."

First up for the defensive-minded coach might be deciding who calls the shots on offense. In recent seasons, the Cowboys called plays by committee until Parcells increased Sparano's role in 2006.

Sparano is still on board with an impressive job title but unclear responsibilities. This potentially awkward situation was created by owner Jerry Jones, who hired Garrett as offensive coordinator before hiring Phillips.

Neither Sparano nor Garrett seem to know who will call the plays, although each was complimentary of the other. Phillips declined to give a serious answer.

"It's up to coach Phillips," Sparano said. "It's not my decision. I'd be comfortable doing it, and I'm sure Jason's comfortable doing it."

Garrett said Sparano's superior knowledge of Cowboys personnel makes the holdover coach "a great resource."

"He knows the strength of his players," Garrett said. "We'll see how this whole thing shakes out. We'll get all that stuff worked out."

Their main job, along with new quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson, is continuing the development of Romo, who faded in the second half of the season as the Cowboys dropped four of the last five games. The final loss was a playoff defeat at Seattle in which Romo fumbled the snap on what would have been the go-ahead field goal late in the game.

Wilson, who tutored inconsistent Chicago Bears quarterback Rex Grossman last season, said it's important to keep Romo's confidence at a high level.

"Tony has a ton of ability and a ton of potential that's untapped," Wilson said.

Stewart's role is clearer than his offensive counterparts: help Phillips improve the Cowboys' defense, which was disappointing and finished 24th against the pass last season.

Stewart has a reputation for quick fixes. San Diego went from 36 passing touchdowns allowed in 2003, the year before Phillips and Stewart arrived, to 19 in their first season.

"We've done it for the last three years," Phillips said. "He knows exactly how I want it done."

Stewart has some ideas on how to use some of the Cowboys' stars. He said he likes having DeMarcus Ware, who had 11.5 sacks last season, playing on the line of scrimmage as a defensive end.

"Put DeMarcus on the edge where he'll have some one-on-one battles with tackles and some backs," Stewart said, "I think he will win those battles."

Stewart also addressed his plans for safety Roy Williams, who was criticized last season for giving up too many big plays while struggling in pass coverage.

"We're going to put Roy in situations where Roy can make plays," Stewart said. "We know Roy is good coming off the edge. We know Roy is good playing lower in the box. I think that is what we are going to emphasize, keeping him in places where he's not going to be exposed."