Cowboys contracts

Creeper

Reaction score
Here is how the Cowboys big contracts compare to the rest of the league.

Demarcus Lawrence's average salary of $21 million ranks 3rd among DEs behind Joey Bosa and Miles Garrett. His CAP impact for 2020 ($9.9 million) ranks 17th among DEs. His 2021 CAP impact ($25 mil) ranks 2nd.

Zeke's average salary ($15 million) ranks 2rd in the league behind Christian McCaffrey. Zeke is tied with Alvin Kamara. Zeke's CAP impact in 2020 ranks 2nd in the league ($10.9 million) and his 2021 CAP impact ranks him 1st at $13.7 million.

Jaylon Smith's average salary ($11.4 million) ranks him 8th among ILBs. His 2020 CAP impact is 9th and his 2021 CAP impact is 12th. ($7.8 million and $9.8 million)

They paid Lawrence to get sacks. He is not. They paid Zeke to dominate games. He is not. They paid Smith to make plays. He is not.

75boyz

Reaction score

Demarcus Lawrence's average salary of $21 million ranks 3rd among DEs behind Joey Bosa and Miles Garrett. His CAP impact for 2020 ($9.9 million) ranks 17th among DEs. His 2021 CAP impact ($25 mil) ranks 2nd.

Zeke's average salary ($15 million) ranks 2rd in the league behind Christian McCaffrey. Zeke is tied with Alvin Kamara. Zeke's CAP impact in 2020 ranks 2nd in the league ($10.9 million) and his 2021 CAP impact ranks him 1st at $13.7 million.

Jaylon Smith's average salary ($11.4 million) ranks him 8th among ILBs. His 2020 CAP impact is 9th and his 2021 CAP impact is 12th. ($7.8 million and $9.8 million)

They paid Lawrence to get sacks. He is not. They paid Zeke to dominate games. He is not. They paid Smith to make plays. He is not.

Responded with an analogy in another post but It's pretty simply summed up with lots of letter C's.

Cowboys (second)Contract and Coach Choices are Cancerous.

Terminally.

Majic

Reaction score

It comes down once again to the front office over valuing players. I also think the Salary Cap affects their thinking in that it encourages them to sign players already on the team so they can spread the contract over a number of years. Usually the contracts are set up so you can get out of them after a couple of years for a minimal salary cap hit, but that does not appear to be the case with Smith and Lawrence

Shane612

Reaction score

I agree, captain obvious.
:muttley:

No. Seriously. I agree.
:thumbup:

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
Jerry is a marketer at heart. He can't help but believe his own BS about his players. Imagine if they actually would have taken the trade offer for DLaw and signed, say, Chandler Jones instead. Imagine what they could have gotten for Zeke in a trade and how easy it is to replace RB production. It's just baffling how stubborn and predictable the Joneses are in the worst possible way.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
To be fair, I think Zeke could still dominate games if they would run the ball. He also has to hang on to it.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I did not really have a problem with Tank's contract at the time. I do now, because I believe he has dialed it back and is coasting. He's using injuries as an excuse.
I really really really really REALLY had a problem with Zeke's contract. In today's NFL, you can replace the production of your RB so easily. Huge mistake by the Cowboys.
I was on the fence with the Smith contract. The year prior to the contract extension, he looked pretty decent but I felt something was still a little off with him.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I wasnt a fan of signing Lawrence due to amount I thought he was good but not elite. EE no way id give money to a RB especially one with years left on his deal. Jaylon I've had mixed feelings about since he was drafted and those feelings continue.

basel90

Reaction score

most of the cowboys who get paid big buck become stale .... wonder if the lack of effective coaching is the reason or the analysis of the player's talent is lacking.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
most of the cowboys who get paid big buck become stale .... wonder if the lack of effective coaching is the reason or the analysis of the player's talent is lacking.
I think a lot of it is how Jerry coddles his players, especially the "important" ones and he's the head honcho that has his hands in all the honey jars.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

Those guys are not tradable and will be significant dead money cuts when it makes most sense to cut them loose in 22'-23'.

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
Lawrence is the most frustrating out of those 3 contracts. He has done NOTHING since he signed that deal, and he refuses to take personal responsibility. He blames injuries and double teams, and curses out Twitter followers who question his poor play. At least Zeke is owning his poor play, and Jaylon OCCASIONALLY makes a play. He looks completely lost most of the time, but at least the effort is usually on display.

I don't see anything from D-Law. He's just there to cash checks, and it's infuriating.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I think a lot of it is how Jerry coddles his players, especially the "important" ones and he's the head honcho that has his hands in all the honey jars.
JJ and his son will never give up and will never change

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The front office is to afraid of letting star players go. Mind you were not actually talking about the best players in the league but stars as in they have huge fan followings.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
Jerry is running out of time. He keeps players too long cause he believes year in and year out that the team is a SB contender. He is not investing 2-3 years down the road to rebuild. He is in the win now mode year after year after year.

All he ever wanted was one more SB (60 minutes interview) and he would hang it up.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Zeke is a dominate back who the hell you kidding. Hard to establish the run game when you’re behind 14 or 21 points in the first quarter. Jeez our fans are so stupid.