Cowboys D-line is similar to the 2013 Seattle D-line

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Except for that D-Law >>> Big mouth Bennett, everyone is comparable and the big thing is that both are founded on great depth.

Crawford = Red Bryant... base DE who dominates against the run, not a pass rusher from the edge. Can provide some pressure from interior on pass downs.

Gregory = Cliff Avril... weak side speed DE who can provide quick rush and is most effective coming in to rush on passing downs.

Jaylon Smith = Bruce Irvin... very athletic OLB who can cover, stop the run, blitz and rush the passer.

Sean Lee = Bobby Wagner... extremely solid and experienced tackling and overall LB.

LVE = KJ Wright... bigger, young LB who can cover, run and hustle.

Joe Thomas = Malcolm Smith... important backup quicker coverage LB who can make clutch plays down field and collect turnovers if necessary.

We also have plenty of solid DTs in Collins, Irving, and NT Woods to mirror the depth of the old Seattle DTs... I think Collins is very comparable to Brandon Mebane and Irving provides a lot of the same things as Clint McDonald did, the interior pressure with some splash plays against the run.

But most importantly, we have depth like they did. Charlton and Armstrong are as good if not better than Seattle's 4th and 5th DE's that year. We are loaded in the front seven.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Except for that D-Law >>> Big mouth Bennett, everyone is comparable and the big thing is that both are founded on great depth.

Crawford = Red Bryant... base DE who dominates against the run, not a pass rusher from the edge. Can provide some pressure from interior on pass downs.

Gregory = Cliff Avril... weak side speed DE who can provide quick rush and is most effective coming in to rush on passing downs.

Jaylon Smith = Bruce Irvin... very athletic OLB who can cover, stop the run, blitz and rush the passer.

Sean Lee = Bobby Wagner... extremely solid and experienced tackling and overall LB.

LVE = KJ Wright... bigger, young LB who can cover, run and hustle.

Joe Thomas = Malcolm Smith... important backup quicker coverage LB who can make clutch plays down field and collect turnovers if necessary.

We also have plenty of solid DTs in Collins, Irving, and NT Woods to mirror the depth of the old Seattle DTs... I think Collins is very comparable to Brandon Mebane and Irving provides a lot of the same things as Clint McDonald did, the interior pressure with some splash plays against the run.

But most importantly, we have depth like they did. Charlton and Armstrong are as good if not better than Seattle's 4th and 5th DE's that year. We are loaded in the front seven.

I like the front 7. But the strength of that defense was the legion of boom secondary. We have nothing close to that.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
I like the front 7. But the strength of that defense was the legion of boom secondary. We have nothing close to that.
CBs yes... S, no... but we can make a trade... ... *cough* for the cornerstone of the original lob *cough*...

... also, Heath isn't Kam but he looked like him a couple times against Cincy last weekend, that 3 yard TFL on the running back was beautiful.

I think Awuzie can get in the Sherman, Revis category very soon.. he's that good... Jones is far superior to Browner or Maxwell, imo. Our slots are iffy, but Seattle went through those, and I would ultimately give Lewis the upper hand on either Thurmond, Shead or Coleman.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Given this assessment, I'm more comfortable calling them the "Legion of Doomsday" rather that the Hot Boys.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Given this assessment, I'm more comfortable calling them the "Legion of Doomsday" rather that the Hot Boys.
Especially if we get ET. If we strike out on Iloka, we need to pull the trigger now, sooner than later. Before week 1, for sure. Even if it's for a second, or a third and a fourth and a conditional sixth or whatever. Throw in a guy like Charles Tapper we won't use. Seattle loves speed in the front 7.

The experience and mentorship ET will provide to the young guns is invaluable. I don't care that he is 29 and that we will pay him like an elite safety for 3 years. That's fine. Elite safeties don't usually regress until around age 33. We are loaded with young talent at CB.

An experienced safety corps of the elite ET with the solid Heath will make us a top 5 defense when paired with our front 7. Maybe #1 scoring defense when you consider Zeke and our ability to shorten games with our running game. Marshawn Lynch was a big part of the LOB, lest we forget.

Sydla

Reaction score
It is an interesting comparison, especially when looking at DT. Seattle didn't have a ton invested in their DTs either - couple of third rounders, a 7th rounder and a UDFA. And they were very effective up the middle.

Aven8

Reaction score
Except for the fact the 12's blow away our Quail Nacho crowd............oh and Pete Carroll is a master motivator and awesome defensive coach!

millennial_legend

Reaction score
It is an interesting comparison, especially when looking at DT. Seattle didn't have a ton invested in their DTs either - couple of third rounders, a 7th rounder and a UDFA. And they were very effective up the middle.
Exactly. They didn't have an Aaron Donald, a bull wrecker like Suh or Wilfork or even a David Irving pass rushing force up the gut.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Except for the fact the 12's blow away our Quail Nacho crowd............oh and Pete Carroll is a master motivator and awesome defensive coach!
For playoff games, Jerry needs to charge premium for out of state sales (Seattle blocks them, but they have a smaller stadium)... and announce a ban on p2p ticket sales from Texas residents to out of state residents.

I know for a fact you have to have a Washington driver's license/state ID or home address in order to purchase a playoff ticket at CenturyLink. They especially cracked down hard on California residents in the week leading up to the championship game vs. the 49ers in 2013.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
CBs yes... S, no... but we can make a trade... ... *cough* for the cornerstone of the original lob *cough*...

... also, Heath isn't Kam but he looked like him a couple times against Cincy last weekend, that 3 yard TFL on the running back was beautiful.

I think Awuzie can get in the Sherman, Revis category very soon.. he's that good... Jones is far superior to Browner or Maxwell, imo. Our slots are iffy, but Seattle went through those, and I would ultimately give Lewis the upper hand on either Thurmond, Shead or Coleman.

Not even worth commenting, but I will. There is no chance that Jones is anything close to sherman. Laughable. Awuzie is an uknown that has promise. Heath has NEVER looked like Cancellor. LOL

Not one player in our secondary would crack the starting lineup. Not one.

Jstopper

Reaction score
Not even worth commenting, but I will. There is no chance that Jones is anything close to sherman. Laughable. Awuzie is an uknown that has promise. Heath has NEVER looked like Cancellor. LOL

Maybe you were in such a hurry to disagree with him that you didnt read his statement correctly. He said Jones is superior to Browner and Maxwell not Sherman. He said Awuzie has potential to get into that class

millennial_legend

Reaction score

Did I compare Jones to Sherman? Nope, but he's more athletic, so there's that. He has the chance. Playing him OOP at FS was stupid. Sure he's great at covering TEs but that is a waste of talent when the big money is in covering WRs. He has great man coverage skills and just average zone coverage skills (I'd even argue below average as a cover 2 free safety, average in single high) so logically one would make him a corner.

Heath doesn't have Chancellor's boom or strength / block shedding ability, but he is faster and just as smart. He hit the Seattle special teams slot receiver Lockette (legal hit) so hard he had to retire. Kam has forced a few into retirement with big hits, including himself.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Maybe you were in such a hurry to disagree with him that you didnt read his statement correctly. He said Jones is superior to Browner and Maxwell not Sherman. He said Awuzie has potential to get into that class

Jones isnt superior to anyone. He has been somewhat of a bust as a safety. Has had a solid camp against our receivers. Not sure that is saying much.

And I agreed that Awuzie has potential, but potential means diddly.

As of now, NO ONE in this secondary would start for them. We have no legion of boom or anything close. To talk about it is laughable. Talk to me at midseason and we can rehash this conversation.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Did I compare Jones to Sherman? Nope, but he's more athletic, so there's that. He has the chance. Playing him OOP at FS was stupid. Sure he's great at covering TEs but that is a waste of talent when the big money is in covering WRs. He has great man coverage skills and just average zone coverage skills (I'd even argue below average as a cover 2 free safety, average in single high) so logically one would make him a corner.

Heath doesn't have Chancellor's boom or strength / block shedding ability, but he is faster and just as smart. He hit the Seattle special teams slot receiver Lockette (legal hit) so hard he had to retire. Kam has forced a few into retirement with big hits, including himself.

You can talk to Jstopper about how our secondary compares to the legion of boom. I have no interest. It is insult to the legion of boom which some might argue is the best secondary of all time.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Jones isnt superior to anyone. He has been somewhat of a bust as a safety. Has had a solid camp against our receivers. Not sure that is saying much.

As of now, NO ONE in this secondary would start for them. We have no legion of boom or anything close. To talk about it is laughable. Talk to me at midseason and we can rehash this conversation.
Jones showed high potential as an outside CB his rookie year before they moved him to safety just to accommodate Used Carr & Stupid Mo.

If you don't think Awuzie and Jones would start over Griffin and Maxwell today, you're more stupid than I thought.

Jstopper

Reaction score

Maxwell and Browner both were replaceable spares who were just along for the Legion of Boom ride. Jones is superior to both of those JAGS. Awuzie and Jones both would start over them so that's bs to say nobody in our secondary could start there. Seattle wasnt known for lockdown corner play outside of Sherman. But we'll see what this defense looks like this year, I think they will be a very good defense

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Maxwell and Browner both were replaceable spares who were just along for the Legion of Boom ride. Jones is superior to both of those JAGS. Awuzie and Jones both would start over them so that's bs to say nobody in our secondary could start there. Seattle wasnt known for lockdown corner play outside of Sherman. But we'll see what this defense looks like this year, I think they will be a very good defense

How about the forgotten legion? That sounds more accurate. :yourock: