Video: Cowboys Digital Draft Interview: Marlon Davidson

morasp

Reaction score
Davidson said his combine interview with the Cowboys was his favorite. He's a DE that could move inside on passing downs. He's ranked 44th and would be good value at 51. Tomsula gets my vote for the Joe Looney of the coaching staff.

Overview
Four-year starter who posted elevated production against the run and pass as a senior. Davidson has been durable and his play consistent, but he fails to really stand out in the shadow of teammate Derrick Brown. The team who drafts him will need to determine how best to utilize him because despite his build, he's most effective when playing outside the tackle. He's athletic enough to work as a base 4-3 end with sub-rush talent, but getting over the hump from good backup to starter might take time.
Strengths
  • Might offer scheme diversity
  • Plays standing or with a hand down
  • Sets strong edges and able to dominate tight ends at point of attack
  • Nimble feet with lateral movement
  • Stride speed to work into gaps as three-technique
  • Body type belies abilities as outside rusher
  • Can stutter and alter rush speed to create uncertainty
  • Inside quickness to take advantage of over-sets
  • Hand usage at top of the rush is efficient and effective
  • Has spin counter and is able to tie rush moves together
  • Three blocked kicks last season

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don’t understand the hype with this kid. He’s not athletic enough to play end in the NFL and has limited experience as a 3T so is too big of a project to draft early.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Davidson said his combine interview with the Cowboys was his favorite. He's a DE that could move inside on passing downs. He's ranked 44th and would be good value at 51. Tomsula gets my vote for the Joe Looney of the coaching staff.

Overview
Four-year starter who posted elevated production against the run and pass as a senior. Davidson has been durable and his play consistent, but he fails to really stand out in the shadow of teammate Derrick Brown. The team who drafts him will need to determine how best to utilize him because despite his build, he's most effective when playing outside the tackle. He's athletic enough to work as a base 4-3 end with sub-rush talent, but getting over the hump from good backup to starter might take time.
Strengths
  • Might offer scheme diversity
  • Plays standing or with a hand down
  • Sets strong edges and able to dominate tight ends at point of attack
  • Nimble feet with lateral movement
  • Stride speed to work into gaps as three-technique
  • Body type belies abilities as outside rusher
  • Can stutter and alter rush speed to create uncertainty
  • Inside quickness to take advantage of over-sets
  • Hand usage at top of the rush is efficient and effective
  • Has spin counter and is able to tie rush moves together
  • Three blocked kicks last season

I don’t understand the hype with this kid. He’s not athletic enough to play end in the NFL and has limited experience as a 3T so is too big of a project to draft early.

Marlon Davidson is a fascinating player.

I have no idea where to rank him in the draft or exactly where he fits in the NFL but he has a unique skill set.

Most draft prospects remind me of somebody. For most 1st round types I can usually recall both a similar player that was great and a similar player that failed.

With Davidson it's neither.

I can't recall many 300 plus pound players that can turn the corner like he does.

He even played a lot of snaps from a 2 point stance and he moves well in space (for his size).

I've seen 300 pound DL that are quicker off the snap in a straight line but with not many that can turn the corner like Davidson.

His best value might be as a 3-4 DE or in a hybrid scheme like Belichick runs where he sometimes lines up a 300 plus player outside the OT.

Brugler has him as his 3rd DT in the draft and # 28 overall.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

3-4 DE or a scheme like Seattle ran for a few years with 330 pound Red Bryant as a 4-3 Strong Side DE.

cnuball21

Reaction score
3-4 DE or a scheme like Seattle ran for a few years with 330 pound Red Bryant as a 4-3 Strong Side DE.

He’ll offer zero value off the edge in the NFL. He has surprising bend for his size but he’s lethargic getting to the QB. He’ll get killed by NFL OTs.

Bizwah

Reaction score
He’ll offer zero value off the edge in the NFL. He has surprising bend for his size but he’s lethargic getting to the QB. He’ll get killed by NFL OTs.
That bend is impressive. I disagree about him offering zero value on the edge. I certainly think he has great value as a rusher in the middle.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Marlon Davidson is a fascinating player.

I have no idea where to rank him in the draft or exactly where he fits in the NFL but he has a unique skill set.

Most draft prospects remind me of somebody. For most 1st round types I can usually recall both a similar player that was great and a similar player that failed.

With Davidson it's neither.

I can't recall many 300 plus pound players that can turn the corner like he does.

He even played a lot of snaps from a 2 point stance and he moves well in space (for his size).

I've seen 300 pound DL that are quicker off the snap in a straight line but with not many that can turn the corner like Davidson.

His best value might be as a 3-4 DE or in a hybrid scheme like Belichick runs where he sometimes lines up a 300 plus player outside the OT.

Brugler has him as his 3rd DT in the draft and # 28 overall.

I'm with you on this guy. Very confused on where to play him, but I love the traits and his motor......3-4 DE seems the most natural fit, but should make for a heck of a 3T as well, to me you draft him and figure out what to do with him once he gets in your building. If the Cowboys are being truthful about scheme versatility drafting Davidson would convince me they are serious.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Belichick played DL Lawrence Guy 6-4, 320 outside the OT...but what does Belichick know...

cnuball21

Reaction score
Belichick played DL Lawrence Guy 6-4, 320 outside the OT...but what does Belichick know...

So should we make draft selections based on the exceptions and outliers of the league or the norm?

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Both Davidson/R. Davis have scheme versatility which is what Nolan is looking for. Davis best position maybe as a 3-4 DE. Davidson can play anywhere we need him. If the team foes in another direction in rd 1, I wouldn't be surprised if one of these two are taking on the 2nd day of the draft.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both Davidson/R. Davis have scheme versatility which is what Nolan is looking for. Davis best position maybe as a 3-4 DE. Davidson can play anywhere we need him. If the team foes in another direction in rd 1, I wouldn't be surprised if one of these two are taking on the 2nd day of the draft.

Rawkwaon Davis is another interesting DL.

Not really a prototype at any specific position but should be a good versatile DL in a rotation.

He is 6-6, 311 with a huge Wingspan despite not having the freak arm length that most players with his Wingspan possess.

His Wingspan is 85-1/4 with 33-7/8" arms. Tyron measured at 85-3/4" with 36-3/8" arms.

If you define Wingspan = X + 2 x Arm Length, where X is the part of the Wingspan independent of arm length, then:

Tyron:
85-3/4 = 2 x 36-3/8 + X
X= 85-3/4 - (2 x 36-3/8) = 13"

Davis:
85-1/4 = 2 x 33-7/8 + X
X = 17.5"

That's a 35% increase over Tyron.

When they say a player has a small or big frame, X could be used as a definition of "Frame".

fivetwos

Reaction score
If the scheme versatility is what they are looking for, Baun needs to be the pick at 17 (absent any serious slides).

There doesnt appear to be many guys who can rush and cover and are ready to go right away.

Much easier to find guys who can flop between the 3 and 5, or 1 and 3 later on.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think there are better options at DT later in the draft. Davidson looks like a project to me. He needs to get stronger for the NFL. I would take Davon Hamilton, Justin Madubuike and Khalili Davis over Davidson. All are more suited to do what Dallas needs which is to push the pocket from the middle. Just a matter of opinion.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Rawkwaon Davis is another interesting DL.

Not really a prototype at any specific position but should be a good versatile DL in a rotation.

He is 6-6, 311 with a huge Wingspan despite not having the freak arm length that most players with his Wingspan possess.

His Wingspan is 85-1/4 with 33-7/8" arms. Tyron measured at 85-3/4" with 36-3/8" arms.

If you define Wingspan = X + 2 x Arm Length, where X is the part of the Wingspan independent of arm length, then:

Tyron:
85-3/4 = 2 x 36-3/8 + X
X= 85-3/4 - (2 x 36-3/8) = 13"

Davis:
85-1/4 = 2 x 33-7/8 + X
X = 17.5"

That's a 35% increase over Tyron.

When they say a player has a small or big frame, X could be used as a definition of "Frame".

Some question if he is nothing more then a 2 down player, but several others will look at those traits and fall in love with the prospect. He is a very interesting prospect, worse case he is an immovable player in the run game.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If the scheme versatility is what they are looking for, Baun needs to be the pick at 17 (absent any serious slides).

There doesnt appear to be many guys who can rush and cover and are ready to go right away.

I think that's why they are showing some interest. He is a player then need to have a plan for. I'm am concerned about his transition to an off the ball linebacker and as well as lack of length and size as a pass rusher.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think that's why they are showing some interest. He is a player then need to have a plan for. I'm am concerned about his transition to an off the ball linebacker and as well as lack of length and size as a pass rusher.

Baun is a player I would like to have on the roster but I don't know if I want to use a 1st round pick on him.

Played the majority of snaps as what I would call a "stand up" DE. There were 2 interior DL with each outside player aligned where 4-3 DEs would align, but those outside defenders were standing up.

Positives:
Has some similarities to TJ Watt. The things analysts criticize about Baun are similar to the things they criticized about Watt.

Played stronger and looks bigger on the field than his measurements.

More off-ball skills than some 3-4 OLBs.

The Cowboys new DC (Nolan) has often used a "stand up" DE on one side of his DL.

Negatives:
Smaller than Watt.

Like Watt, his best fit is likely as a 3-4 OLB.

Playing as a 4-3 MLB or WLB wouldn't accent his best attributes and 4-3 SLBs don't play many snaps.

Maybe an option to play 4-3 SLB in base and DE in obvious passing situations but that leave a lot of snaps where the defense is in Nickel because he Offensive has 3 WRs but the situations are equal run/pass and not a good time for him at DE.