dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
about the same time of the season, only this was on Halloween:

Emmitt, Cowboys reign in Philly

237-yard day leaves Eagles all wet, 23-10

11/1/1993

By TIM COWLISHAW / The Dallas Morning News

PHILADELPHIA – The Cowboys regained a share of first place in the NFC East on the same day that Emmitt Smith rejoined the NFL rushing race.

It was not a coincidence.

Smith did the impossible Sunday at Veterans Stadium when he outdid himself. Cowboys' fans who thought they had seen it all never had seen him rush for 200 yards. His 237 yards on 30 carries ended with a 62-yard touchdown romp in the rain that sealed a 23-10 Dallas victory.

Not only did Smith's final dash remove Tony Dorsett's 206-yard game against the Eagles from the Cowboys' record book, it gave Smith more yards rushing than Philadelphia's entire offensive output (228 yards). Despite sitting out the first two games and half the third, he has 549 yards rushing one week before the mid-season mark.

"It was not a day to throw the ball, it was a day to sit back and let Emmitt do the job," wide receiver Alvin Harper said. "Thank God Emmitt did his job."

Indeed, the Cowboys' No. 1-ranked passing attack all but disappeared as Troy Aikman managed 96 yards on nine of 19 completions. The Eagles had a little to do with that, the weather had a little more.

A persistent rain that occasionally became a downpour made for a slippery ball and awful footing. That limited the Eagles' passing game as well and made the run the safest means of travel. Philadelphia found success with its inside trapping style as Herschel Walker and Heath Sherman combined for 136 yards on 29 carries. Those totals kept the Eagles in the game. Smith's massive totals knocked them out of it.

"I'm happy, I'm tired and I'm excited all at the same time," Smith said afterward. The Eagles were simply exhausted after losing their third straight to slide to 4-3.

At 5-2, the Cowboys now are tied with New York, and the Giants come to Texas Stadium on Sunday with the winner grabbing sole possession of first at the midway point. For Dallas, that represents an impressive comeback, five consecutive victories since the 0-2 start.

"The good thing about this team is that we were confident once we got everyone in that we'd be all right," said Aikman. "We didn't panic when we were 0-2."

They didn't panic when they found out they couldn't throw the ball Sunday, either, although they continued to mix the pass with the run. Offensive coordinator Norv Turner said there was no choice.

"If you don't throw the football, you play into those guys' hands," he said. "They'd love to get into an eight-man front and just stop the run."

There was no stopping Smith, but the Eagles kept it close throughout. After falling behind 10-0 in the second quarter, the Eagles drove 80 yards in the last five minutes to get on the board. Ken O'Brien's three-yard swing pass to Herschel Walker 1:25 before halftime made it 10-7 and gave the Eagles' fans reason for hope.

"It was a definite momentum swinger for them," said defensive coordinator Butch Davis. "It allowed them to get back into the game just before halftime."

But it was the only touchdown Dallas' defense permitted. For the sixth straight game, an opponent failed to reach the end zone more than once.

Still, it took time for the Cowboys to put the game away. After an exchange of field goals, it was 13-10 midway through the fourth quarter. Dallas marched from its 26 into Eagles' territory but the drizzle became a deluge. The drive bogged down at the Eagles' 23, and Eddie Murray was called upon for maybe the most difficult 40-yard field goal of his career.

He bounced it off the crossbar for three points and a 16-10 lead.

"I didn't know what the distance was, I just hit it like it was 55 yards away," he said. "Now we know what my range is into a driving wind and rain."

On the Eagles' next possession, Charles Haley made a key strip of O'Brien that the Eagles' Mike Schad recovered for a 13-yard loss. Philadelphia had to punt.

Two plays later, the Cowboys went to the well one more time. Lead draw to the left. Smith broke through the hole and ran past cornerback Eric Allen for 62 yards and another Cowboys' victory at Veterans Stadium.

"Emmitt's last run really broke our back," said Eagles coach Rich Kotite. "We were doing everything from our standpoint of substituting to stop them."

But on this miserable Halloween afternoon where the Eagles managed a few tricks to keep them alive, there was no substitute for the greatness of Emmitt Smith.

SibannacRex

Reaction score
The night before I was out partying. I got up early to follow the game on the radio, then unexpectedly feel asleep midway through the game. I remember my brother waking me up to tell me that Emmitt ran for 237. I didn't believe him and it took a few hours for that info to get confirmed (no internet back then). Needless to say, it was a great memory for me.