CFZ Cowboys find new heartbreaking ways to lose

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is what I’m left with in a game that was for the taking. A game we could have won.

Great teams find ways to win. We find new ways to lose. It’s incredible.

And it’s not just this HC, QB and roster , it’s been a theme this era.

Yes, there’s many areas of weakness we can dissect . And most I’ve read here are accurate. Bob Haze had one of the best. But as we watch upsets and close-nit games played almost every week throughout the NFL, the better teams find a way to pull it out and the others find a way to lose.

Too many things have to go right for us to win. We need turnovers on defense, a big lead to sit on, a mistake free offense. Limited penalties . Most of all weaker opponents.

We faced a team which finds ways to win. They have underwhelmed all season pulling out tight games where they didn’t play their best game.

And we appear to find new ways to lose . Every time I think as Cowboy fans we have seen it all, been more snake bit than a drunken old fool , we find a new way . I mean come on. A TD that was called a TD overturned on 4th down, Then a 2 point conversion with a toe out of bounds. Not saying they are bad calls but man you just can’t script these tough situations anymore brutal.

We can’t make this stuff up. Going back to fumbling bumbling the snap , icing the kicker, and the catch that wasn’t. This era we continue creating and finding new ways for heartbreaking losses.

I’m just not sure we have enough talent to overcome this intangible force going against us. Maybe the Jethro Jinx is for real. IDK.. but it appears a greater force than any one player or Coach can save us from.

Don’t blame Dak. Our best player in Parsons didn’t do enough either. As always the funk or jinx is greater than any one player. It’s a cloud hovering over our franchise.

How many more times can we be on the brink of getting this humongous gorilla off our backs to have it weigh us down even more . I’m exhausted. My emotions are deflated. Can’t even go back to sleep.

Not sure how we move on from this . But we will. And there will be another moment perhaps this season where we will be faced with this demon or what appears insurmountable weight.

I’m not into moral victories and I suppose the fact we were closer to beating the top team in NFC brings more comfort than our embarrassment in SF but at some point we must begin to think it’s just not our time, the football gods aren’t with us and we just aren’t good enough to overcome.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
This is what I’m left with in a game that was for the taking. A game we could have won.

Yes, there’s many areas of weakness we can dissect . And most I’ve read here are accurate. Bob Haze had one of the best. But as we watch upsets and close-nit games played almost every week throughout the NFL, the better teams find a way to pull it out and the others find a way to lose.

Too many things have to go right for us to win. We need turnovers on defense, a big lead to sit on, a mistake free offense. Limited penalties . Most of all weaker opponents.

We faced a team which finds ways to win. They have underwhelmed all season pulling out tight games where they didn’t play their best game.

And we appear to find new ways to lose . Every time I think as Cowboy fans we have seen it all, been more snake bit than a drunken old fool , we find a new way . I mean come on. A TD that was called a TD overturned on 4th down, Then a 2 point conversion with a toe out of bounds. Not saying they are bad calls but man you just can’t script these tough situations anymore brutal.

We can’t make this stuff up. Going back to fumbling bumbling the snap , icing the kicker, and the catch that wasn’t. This era we continue creating and finding new ways for heartbreaking losses.

I’m just not sure we have enough talent to overcome this intangible force going against us. Maybe the Jethro Jinx is for real. IDK.. but it appears a greater force than any one player or Coach can save us from.

Don’t blame Dak. Our best player in Parsons didn’t do enough either. As always the funk or jinx is greater than any one player. It’s a cloud hovering over our franchise.

How many more times can we be on the brink of getting this humongous gorilla off our backs to have it weigh us down even more . I’m exhausted. My emotions are deflated. Can’t even go back to sleep.

Not sure how we move on from this . But we will. And there will be another moment perhaps this season where we will be faced with this demon or what appears insurmountable weight.

I’m not into moral victories and I suppose the fact we were closer to beating the top team in NFC brings more comfort than our embarrassment in SF but at some point we must begin to think it’s just not our time, the football gods aren’t with us and we just aren’t good enough to overcome.
I'd blame Micah more for this one than Dak

Diehardblues

Reaction score
1st and goal at the 6 with plenty of time to run 4 plays.

I thought there was no way we wouldn't score.
I hear ya . But the game shouldn’t have come down to that . At the worst all we should have needed was a FG to extend the game .

And unfortunately we didn’t get 4 downs from the 6.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Everyone should read Bob Haze thread. He covers most of the bigger points .

My thread is more emotionally driven.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Oh heck Greg we've lost in more embarrassing fashion than this.

We lost this game at the trade deadline when we didn't make an offer they couldn't refuse for Derrick Henry or bolster our offensive line or try and do something to make our team better like the other teams that will be in the playoffs did.

The common denominator to our failure will always be Jerry because he will never do quite enough to get us over the top

I cant understand why it's so difficult for people to realize we have no finisher we have no one that can pound the ball in get that extra 6 in don't have your foot go out of bounds with your quarterback running the ball and run the ball successfully enough to kill off the 3 minutes go down and score.

Aftershock

Reaction score

There is no mysterious force. The answer is simple. The culture is soft and players aren’t held accountable. That’s it. And it starts from the top.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That play, and the other play where they turned the ball over on downs at the 1/2 yard line when they should have taken the 3. This team is dumb - there isn't any other way to describe them.
Yea, that’s an interesting side discussion. We could have taken 3 there and made it a 1 score game at 28-20 with still about 6-7 minutes left .

And even our second to last possession down 28-23 could have attempted a long FG to draw within 2 with hopes of a final possession.

But that’s been the mindset under McCarthy always going for it on 4th down .

Definitely worthy of criticism and discussion.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Don't know what all the fuss is about. Games like last night are why I love football. Two good teams trading great plays and bad mistakes, it went to the wire. Nothing was final or proven because of the result of this game, 9 more to play. Personally, I just enjoyed the fact we could lose a game by being gutsy and competitive rather than taking a day off and mailing it in like the first two defeats.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
I went back and looked at that game again, and it looks like the Eagles were trying to throw the game they played so badly at the end. It was a typical game until the 4th quarter, and they just fell apart. How we didn't win that game I don't know. I believe the play that hurt us most is when Prescott did not convert the 2 point conversion. It was there for the taking. If he did not step out of bounds we win that game possibly. If the Eagles continued to play not to lose we would have won that game. After they built up an 11 point lead it seemed they all but quit. They quit and we seem to refuse to take the win.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I'd blame Micah more for this one than Dak
Maybe I missed something, but why exactly do you blame Micah? You are not the first one I heard this from and it baffles me why?
Is it because you didn’t see him tear up the backfield getting 6 or 7 sacks on his own? Really???? Have we become that spoiled that we expect a guy to play 10 times better than a good player plays just to be considered safe from being the reason why we lost? In reality, when he wasn’t getting sacks, he was getting pressure at times.

The OP said it right and he is, not one guy but if you can lay a chunk of the reason on one guy, it would have to be OT Steele without a doubt. He was literally a turnstile. Whether or not he is fully healed, I don’t know but he clearly played bad.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score

Very well said. Seems to be an aura of many little things that doesn’t go away no matter what players are on the field.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

we snatch losses from jaws of victory. we panic. we don't know how to act. when we need to be at our best, the worst in us comes out. we don't know how to handle those situations and some of that falls on the coaches.