Cowboys Giants rivalry - Most Memorable Games

sunalsorises

Reaction score
OP has it. Number one is the Emmitt separated shoulder game.

Number 2 is whatever.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
https://www.bigblueview.com/2022/11/24/23470497/giants-cowboys-rivalry-history-memorable-games

https://www.nfl.com/photos/the-top-10-moments-between-the-giants-and-cowboys-09000d5d82b5d564

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboys–Giants_rivalry

Can recall the Cowboys Giants most memorable games ?

Here's a look at My ranked list:

1) Emmitt Smith separate shoulder game 1993
2) 2007- NFC Divisional Playoff game (NYG Manning leads upset)
3) 1998- Deion Sanders vs NYG, (beats NYG all 3 phases of game)
4) 2011 - Eli Manning comeback - JPP blocked FG
5) 1985 -NYGiants at Dallas Jeffcoat 65yd tipped INT return for TD
6) 2014 - The Catch (O.J. Beckham acrobatic one hand grab for TD)
7) 1986 - Hershel Walker’s NFL debut (winning TD score)
8) 1981- RB Rob Carpenter game
9) 1986 -Danny White broken wrist (Phil Pozderac whiff missed block)
10) 1987 -Jim Jeffcoat intercepted batted pass and returned 26 yards for the touchdown
Anyone who disagrees with #1 should take a month-long ban.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
I prefer the 35-0 blowout at the Meadowlands!
I think Emmitt broke one on the first play from scrimmage.
It was the second or third play from scrimmage. I think either Novacek or Irvin caught a pass first. The first time Emmitt touched it though. Great game! The talk was how the Giants felt they were close to the Cowboys and then get completely dominated on Monday night opener. Emmitt had 4 td’s and something like 164 yards. Irvin and Smith had dominated that year.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Anyone who disagrees with #1 should take a month-long ban.
100%. Division and home field on the line. They kept going to Emmitt and he delivered putting the team on his back while injured. How many players today would have sat the rest of the game? These are things that can’t be measured when talking about Emmitt Smith. Clowns love to say he was nothing without the o-line. If that was the case then why wouldn’t a healthy backup been able to come in and do what Emmitt did? Pisses me off when I hear the o-line argument. Clowns loves to discredit him.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
https://www.bigblueview.com/2022/11/24/23470497/giants-cowboys-rivalry-history-memorable-games

https://www.nfl.com/photos/the-top-10-moments-between-the-giants-and-cowboys-09000d5d82b5d564

10) 1987 -Jim Jeffcoat intercepted batted pass and returned 26 yards for the touchdown
I dont know what year it was, but I went to a Sunday Night game and the Boys won 33-31 at the end or something like that. Pretty sure Giants inducted someone in their version of the ring of honor that game, but cant remember who.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Cant forget the 1971 Monday Night Game because it is forever memorialized in an episode of The Odd Couple. I can hear Howard Cosell referring to Staubach saying "he is scrambling with the dexterity of a lizard"

AbeBeta

Reaction score
100%. Division and home field on the line. They kept going to Emmitt and he delivered putting the team on his back while injured. How many players today would have sat the rest of the game? These are things that can’t be measured when talking about Emmitt Smith. Clowns love to say he was nothing without the o-line. If that was the case then why wouldn’t a healthy backup been able to come in and do what Emmitt did? Pisses me off when I hear the o-line argument. Clowns loves to discredit him.
The only O-line argument that is viable is that Barry Sanders would have done better with Dallas's O line in front of him. That's likely true. Sanders was unreal with mediocre blocking. He never had a season under 1000 yards. Had he stuck around like Smith did for another 2-3 seasons, he'd have the all-time rushing record. The best pure runner I've ever seen.

But that has nothing to do with 22. That great ol had backups that couldn't do nothing when he held out. Emmitt was a willing and elite blocker as well. He had a more well rounded game than Sanders.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
The only O-line argument that is viable is that Barry Sanders would have done better with Dallas's O line in front of him. That's likely true. Sanders was unreal with mediocre blocking. He never had a season under 1000 yards. Had he stuck around like Smith did for another 2-3 seasons, he'd have the all-time rushing record. The best pure runner I've ever seen.

But that has nothing to do with 22. That great ol had backups that couldn't do nothing when he held out. Emmitt was a willing and elite blocker as well. He had a more well rounded game than Sanders.
One of the biggest myths is that Barry Sanders had a mediocre line. He had Lomas Brown, hall of fame, and few others who made pro-bowls like Kevin Glover ect. Barry was a freak no question but people act like he ran behind nothing. So I guess if he was on Dallas he would have had 3k yards rushing in a season? I don't buy it. As good as Barry was Dallas would not have been able to put it on his shoulders to win big games much like Dallas did with Emmitt multiple times. I don't think Dallas would have been able to replicate everything that Emmitt did for those teams with Barry Sanders. Again Barry was a freak but he didn't do all the things that Emmitt did from the running back position. Give me #22 as the ultimate back. Give me Barry for the highlight shows.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Not worthy of the most memorable game list, I can't remember which season it was and my available patience at the moment was exhausted after about two minutes of searching for a video of it but someone must remember this epic scene.

Shockey on the sideline dancing in front of the camera in celebration of the TD just scored, as the Cowboys kick returner streaked right by him on the way to a TD.

From the thrill of victory to the agony of defeat in about two seconds, as the football world watched. lol

Motorola

Reaction score

'quickccc' - kudos to you for researching and posting that information = historical revue.
BTW - the story behind your CZ member name and avatar?

quickccc

Reaction score

Romo Pulls Off the Impossible! (Giants vs. Cowboys 2015, Week 1) | CRAZY ENDING :flagwave:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
the 2011 one hurt me bad
Nowhere near as bad for me as the 2007 playoff loss. That was a real killer! Only the Super Bowl losses and the 81 NFC conference loss to San Francisco hurt me more than that one.

RoboQB

Reaction score
It was the second or third play from scrimmage. I think either Novacek or Irvin caught a pass first. The first time Emmitt touched it though. Great game! The talk was how the Giants felt they were close to the Cowboys and then get completely dominated on Monday night opener. Emmitt had 4 td’s and something like 164 yards. Irvin and Smith had dominated that year.
I stand corrected.
Damn, I miss the early 90s.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
the 2011 one hurt me bad
i was so crushed...we had game if Romo did not overthrow receiver on easy pass and catch...then JPP blocked FG attempt...of course my eyes were closed

so when i opened them it was worse.....now its like i took a Bummer-All pill?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I stand corrected.
Damn, I miss the early 90s.
mr Robo---its really not fair to live through 90's being cowboy fan and now to endure one painful playoff game after another...but as we know one deep

playoff run can fix all of this.....dang it.....i wish i said OCTA-PLAT Gurantee beatdown of them women in New York?....we need some good authentic

beatdowns under our belts....lets start tomorrow 5.30 pacific time?

plasticman

Reaction score
My most memorable Giants games are the ones the Cowboys won. Some of the losses hurt too much, why would I want to re-live them in my mind?

My most memorable game? Believe it or not, it was their second game of the 1971 season. At New York. It was the second to last game of a 14 game season.

Why?

This was truly Roger Staubach's coming out party. Not just this game but the last three games of that regular season. He was on fire!

The Cowboys escaped a 4-3 start after which Landry decided to give the job to Staubach. He had been competing with Craig Morton for 7 games.

In this game the starting QB's were Staubach and Fran Tarkenton, before he went to Minnesota. The Cowboys had defeated the Jets the week before 52-10. Staubach had thrown 3TD's and no INT's and he did the same thing with the Giants as the Cowboys won 42-14.

Staubach threw two bombs to Bob Hayes, one of them was an 85 yarder. Of course, they put Morton in the latter part of the 4th quarter and he threw his obligatory pick 6.

Obviously, this was a mismatch and I'm not claiming it was memorable from a competitive standpoint. The point was, this was the 2nd to last game of the regular season and the Cowboys were peaking at the perfect time. This was the game I realized that the Cowboys were going back to the Super Bowl after losing it the season before.

The last game of the season, they beat the Cardinals 31-12. Staubach and the Cowboys scored 125 points in the last three games of the season, almost 42 points a game. Meanwhile the Doomsday Defense held those three opponents to an average of 12 points a game. A month later they held the Miami Dolphins to three points as the Cowboys won their first Super Bowl.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
One of the biggest myths is that Barry Sanders had a mediocre line. He had Lomas Brown, hall of fame, and few others who made pro-bowls like Kevin Glover ect. Barry was a freak no question but people act like he ran behind nothing. So I guess if he was on Dallas he would have had 3k yards rushing in a season? I don't buy it. As good as Barry was Dallas would not have been able to put it on his shoulders to win big games much like Dallas did with Emmitt multiple times. I don't think Dallas would have been able to replicate everything that Emmitt did for those teams with Barry Sanders. Again Barry was a freak but he didn't do all the things that Emmitt did from the running back position. Give me #22 as the ultimate back. Give me Barry for the highlight shows.
Lomas Brown and another guy who made a pro bowl is not a solid argument. Come back tomorrow.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Lomas Brown and another guy who made a pro bowl is not a solid argument. Come back tomorrow.
So a hall of fame player and guys who made the pro-bowl on the o-line isn’t good? That’s a good line. You think you need 5 pro bowl linemen? Go on believing Barry had a horrible line.