Cowboys interest in Kenny Vaccaro?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm guessing he's a SS........

Kenny Vaccaro - DB - Saints
New Orleans Times-Picayune's Larry Holder reports Saints DB Kenny Vaccaro is "likely on his way out" of New Orleans.

Vaccaro had his 2017 season ended early after being placed on injured reserve due to problems with his groin and wrist. The former first-round pick is now an unrestricted free agent and will likely sign a fairly big contract in free agency. The Cowboys were a team rumored to be interested in acquiring Vaccaro in the past.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune
Feb 25 - 5:15 PM

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I could sew it. Dont what his cost would be at this point. He seems like the type of player that is teetering between a long term deal and a short term one.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
27 years old, fairly healthy over his career, decent stats. In that regard, wouldn't be a bad pickup.

But I'd prefer to stick with Jones, Woods, Heath and Frazer, both because they're younger and because Cowboys need their cap money to sign Martin, Hitchens and others...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Box safety. Does he give us anything we don't get with Frazier?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's a liability in downfield coverage, though.
He got better in 2017. After a solid rookie season he had a very choppy stretch before putting a solid season. He is probably more effective as a defensive playermaker than Heath is. I dont think he is a great saftey, but to me he is a clear upgrade over what we have right now. And they are really hurting at the safety position in terms of established players

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He got better in 2017. After a solid rookie season he had a very choppy stretch before putting a solid season. He is probably more effective as a defensive playermaker than Heath is. I dont think he is a great saftey, but to me he is a clear upgrade over what we have right now. And they are really hurting at the safety position in terms of established players

I haven't seen enough of him to know how much of an upgrade he might be or not. I know they weren't happy with him early, but that he got better over time, and that in 2017 they were happy with him when he was able to be out there. But I thought part of the rub on him was that, despite the athleticism, he got burned deep a lot.

RoboQB

Reaction score
If we're upgrading the safety positions, I'd hope we reach higher than this.
I'd rather sign/trade for a more high profile player, such as Earl Thomas or the honey badger,
or spend that top pick on the top safety in the draft.

Signing Vaccaro is a letdown type of FA signing because he will definitely be overpaid.

jay94

Reaction score
Earl Thomas at this point is a bit of a pipe dream.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
If we're upgrading the safety positions, I'd hope we reach higher than this.
I'd rather sign/trade for a more high profile player, such as Earl Thomas or the honey badger,
or spend that top pick on the top safety in the draft.

Signing Vaccaro is a letdown type of FA signing because he will definitely be overpaid.
Why would Vaccaro be definitely overpaid, but the high profile options wouldnt be

RoboQB

Reaction score
Why would Vaccaro be definitely overpaid, but the high profile options wouldnt be

Simple. If they're going to overpay... overpay the high profile talent. Would you rather have a slightly above average Vacarro or
a grinder like Thomas? I'll take the guy that oozes leadership for a few million more.

And if they don't want to do that, they need to draft the top Safety in the draft and he better pay off big time.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Simple. If they're going to overpay... overpay the high profile talent. Would you rather have a slightly above average Vacarro or
a grinder like Thomas? I'll take the guy that oozes leadership for a few million more.

And if they don't want to do that, they need to draft the top Safety in the draft and he better pay off big time.
Thomas and Vacarro's difference in salary aav will be much more than a few million lol.

Also Vacarro has untapped potential and is three years younger than Thomas.

So between trade capital and the larger extension youd have to give ET, the answer becomes much more unclear.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Thomas and Vacarro's difference in salary aav will be much more than a few million lol.

Also Vacarro has untapped potential and is three years younger than Thomas.

So between trade capital and the larger extension youd have to give ET, the answer becomes much more unclear.

Fair enough.

I'm just not big on Vacarro, my friend. I think he will be a FA $$ bust.
I feel like Thomas can play 3-4 years and his leadership would be worth it.

If they go after Vacarro, and get him, I will happily root for the young man... and hope it pans out.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I dont think he is a great saftey, but to me he is a clear upgrade over what we have right now.

I'm not picking up somebody at the cost he'd command who's only an average or a little better than average player.

And if you get him, one of the young guys won't get the chance to develop.

Let's take advantage of our safeties still under their rookie contract...

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I just don't see Thomas as a real possibility.

Vacarro - Certainly isn't an established premium player at this point in his career but i can understand kicking it around.

Boston - Why is no one even talking about the possibility of FS Tre Boston from the Chargers? Haven't looked at the career numbers but would have to think they are probably as good or better than Vacarro. In fairness, I think Vacarro moved back & forth between SS & FS at times so it may not be an apples to apples comparison.