Cowboys just fell for Mazi Smith because they had Larry Allen, Tyron Smith dreams

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority, but I think Mazi will be fine in the long run. The biggest mistake the Cowboys made was thinking he was a day 1 starter. He really improved off the ball as the season went on.
Is that why he played four snaps in the playoff game?

1942willys

Reaction score
He did not start most of the year.
he had lots of snaps. Showed nothing. Was not injured. So I am waiting for examples of players that did that and became stars. I am sure there are some but I am also sure that they are very much the exception not the rule.
This player came from a Major Program and I see no signs that he had bad coaching from the results that program is getting. He was a very highly recruited high school prospect.
For him to be what he has been simply shows nothing that indicates he will be a star

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Is that why he played four snaps in the playoff game?
No, he only played four snaps in the playoffs for reasons mentioned in the rest of my post that you felt the need to not include in the quote so you could get in a quick one liner.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
No, he only played four snaps in the playoffs for reasons mentioned in the rest of my post that you felt the need to not include in the quote so you could get in a quick one liner.
That he couldn't read blocks?

I'm just curious how he improved off the ball as the season went on yet got fewer snaps. Did he get that much worse at everything else?

I want to believe, but I just don't see the facts to support it. The guy was awful last year -- practically unplayable. Which is why the coaches gave total spares like Gallimore more snaps than him in the most important game of the year.

Creeper

Reaction score
Mazi's college senior year highlights don't show him being slow off the ball...

He looks slow on the snap to me. Remember too the NFL is faster all around. He might have been a fraction late in college but that is amplified in the pros. Plus, he could get away with that in college because he is still strong and athletic. But in the NFL everyone is strong and athletic.

To me the problem is in his brain. It takes an extra fraction of a second to process that the ball has been snapped. I am not a psychologist so I have no idea if this is a problem that can be fixed. Can they train his brain to process the snap of the ball faster? Maybe try some drag racing video game when he has to react to the green light faster than his opponent? I have no idea. But I am pretty sure not matter how strong he is, unless he gets a better start on the snap his will be at a huge disadvantage against NFL offensive linemen. And that is something even his strength will not be able to overcome. There is no gaining leverage if the lineman is into your chest before you get get out of your 3 or 4 point stance.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
That he couldn't read blocks?

I'm just curious how he improved off the ball as the season went on yet got fewer snaps. Did he get that much worse at everything else?

I want to believe, but I just don't see the facts to support it. The guy was awful last year -- practically unplayable. Which is why the coaches gave total spares like Gallimore more snaps than him in the most important game of the year.
Because explosiveness off the ball is only one piece of the puzzle. It's almost like having a QB with a rocket arm but they can't make an accurate post snap read of the defense. Mazi has shown during the year that he is very capable of getting off the football, but it hasnt happened consistently. The question there becomes why...

When I watch film of Mazi I see a guy who pretty consistently held his own in the run game with standard blocking assignments. Where he really struggled (Like really struggled) was anytime he saw the slightest wrinkle by the Oline. Any sort of trap block, reach block, etc he made it hard to watch. In the pass game I actually think he has a very nice little bull rush move and was able to not get a ton of pressure but at least was able to collapse the middle of the pocket and take away the QBs ability to step up at times. His biggest problem there aside from his lack of speed is that he has basically zero moves off of the bull rush.

I very well could be wrong, but when I put everything I'm seeing on tape together to try and get to a conclusion it makes a ton of sense that he's slow to read and react. I clearly see a guy who is physically capable of playing in this league, but has to develop the mental side. This also could be the reason for the slow get offs too. Some guys will do this just not nearly to the extent Mazi does where they are slower off the snap to get that fraction of a second jump on reading the oline.

That's my take on Mazi. He basically is waiting for the game to slow down for him, but it's extra difficult because we're asking him to speed up at the same time. If that happens he has the physical traits to be a stud along the interior, but if that never happens he probably spends years bouncing around to different teams practice squads to round out his career.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm not going to write off Mazi just yet.
They demanded a rookie change his position and his body.
This year he'll be doing the same in his second year a new defense.

Sad. They botched the value of a 1st round pick. It is what it is. He may turn out to be a player, but I expect we'll have to wait til 2025 to find out. We shouldn't have any expectation that he shows it this year.

LysleE

Reaction score
If in fact Mazi was drafted to play NT, what did Dallas’ talent evaluators see in him to make them think he was worthy of a 1st round pick?
He is slow out of the blocks; does not play with leverage and with a good base; slow recognition and poor hand placement; yes, he has physical strength, but so does everybody else in the NFL, Definitely a project at NT and not worthy 1st round pick when OL was also a pressing need.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can we possibly give it more than 1 year?
Hard position to adjust to at a much higher level.
Believe me, I know.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Mazi slow off the ball so DQ puts him at the 3T?!? Lol
He’s slow and gives up his chest too easily. His technique is gross.

I’d bet they knew he couldn’t play early and they were trying to find a place for him.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Can we possibly give it more than 1 year?
Hard position to adjust to at a much higher level.
Believe me, I know.
Get off isn't getting better, some guys just don’t have good reaction time. Even if they work at it they just naturally process slower.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Because explosiveness off the ball is only one piece of the puzzle. It's almost like having a QB with a rocket arm but they can't make an accurate post snap read of the defense. Mazi has shown during the year that he is very capable of getting off the football, but it hasnt happened consistently. The question there becomes why...

When I watch film of Mazi I see a guy who pretty consistently held his own in the run game with standard blocking assignments. Where he really struggled (Like really struggled) was anytime he saw the slightest wrinkle by the Oline. Any sort of trap block, reach block, etc he made it hard to watch. In the pass game I actually think he has a very nice little bull rush move and was able to not get a ton of pressure but at least was able to collapse the middle of the pocket and take away the QBs ability to step up at times. His biggest problem there aside from his lack of speed is that he has basically zero moves off of the bull rush.

I very well could be wrong, but when I put everything I'm seeing on tape together to try and get to a conclusion it makes a ton of sense that he's slow to read and react. I clearly see a guy who is physically capable of playing in this league, but has to develop the mental side. This also could be the reason for the slow get offs too. Some guys will do this just not nearly to the extent Mazi does where they are slower off the snap to get that fraction of a second jump on reading the oline.

That's my take on Mazi. He basically is waiting for the game to slow down for him, but it's extra difficult because we're asking him to speed up at the same time. If that happens he has the physical traits to be a stud along the interior, but if that never happens he probably spends years bouncing around to different teams practice squads to round out his career.
Sort of my point in the OP, though. Of course he is physically capable. And just like the Cowboys, I was blown away too. He really is an impressive physical specimen. But it doesn’t mean squat. I use Jerry Jones first year as an example when the Cowboys had a chance to draft ‘The Incredible Bulk.‘. Dude blew everyone away and even got his own SI cover. I know the steroids were to blame too, but just saying, being a physical gorilla doesn’t guarantee success in the NFL. They’re all grown men.